Chris Clemons S - Miami Dolphins

A very good coverage safety. 28 yrs old and still on the market. I would love for the bills to sign this guy. Chances are if he is still on the market he would come at a fair price. If they signed him it would open up the draft completely and allow the Bills to truly build around EJ Manuel

You don't think we are going to draft a safety, do you?

I think Whaley is serious about rolling with who we have on the roster. I wouldn't mind grabbing Clemons, but I'd like to think one of the two safeties we drafted last year is good enough to start.

I think Whaley is serious about rolling with who we have on the roster. I wouldn't mind grabbing Clemons, but I'd like to think one of the two safeties we drafted last year is good enough to start.

my thoughts exactly

like it or not this is exactly why they drafted Duke and Meeks and they still have Searcy

Edited by Max997

I still believe they need to add a veteran who can fill the void that byrd left

Williams and Searcy are both three-year veterans. I know that's not quite the same as adding a guy like Clemons, but it's also not like our QB situation last year.

Dear God, NO!

We have far too many needs to address than Safety with our first pick.

Although adding another veteran at this position is not a bad idea. If not Clemons, we could re-sign Jim Leonhard.

Just watched the Corey Graham video posted on BB.com and noticed the updated lockers one of which still had Jim Leonhard's belongings, could mean nothing. I wouldn't mind him here as a veteran presence.

I posted this in another thread but I am not impressed with Clemmons at all. A college 4th rounder would be as productive.

From the other thread.

Who is to say we haven't?  Does he have sources to say we have or have not?

deCoud, ok he is good.  Entering his 7th year the guy has 14 INT's, 4 FF's, 3 FR's, and started a lot of games and tackled lots of dudes.  He has 3 sacks, too.  But in 2012 he had 6 of those INT's.  Last year 0.  Last year 1 fumble recovery, 2 passes defended.  He might have forgot to show up after the first series or something?  But I guess that is impressive to some.

Clemmon's 4 INT's in 5 years impresses him?  Or are we supposed to be impressed that he had 1 INT last year and 8 passes defended?  Searcy out performed this guy in one season, practically.

Steve Gregory's 7 INT's in 10 years impresses him?  Entering his 11th season.  He is 3 months younger then Leonhard!  His best year was 12 starts in the 2012 stellar NE defense with 3 INT's.  Last year he must have been allergic to the ball, because the only 3 times he touched the ball was to defend the pass.  Not one INT, not one FF, Sack or even a reach around.

Leonhard had 4 INT's last year, 6 passes defended and is going in to his 11th year if he plays anywhere.  We all know him and his abilities - so I'll spare it.

Searcy has 3 seasons in his belt, 2 INT's, despite no starts in the 47 games he has played.  I guess that is ho hum.  But, he had an INT last year, a TD, fumble recovery, 7 passes defended, and 3.5 sacks.

Searcy???  He is younger and looks to be more on an upward path then Gregory who is downward trending clearly.  DeCoud may have had issues last year with a scheme or who knows what but the guy didn't bring it and would be a pretty big risk considering for the $mm's he likely wants.  I guess regressing from one standout spectacular year is impressive.  Clemmons doesn't deserve to be mentioned again.  Leonhard is the man, love him, but he's a bit long in the tooth to bring back again.  I might, though, come training camp time.

I'd like one more guy that's reliable enough to set a floor at the position.... Especially if, heaven forbid, Aaron Williams missed a couple weeks. Don't need a star but I'd like some known quantity. So far, short of not signing someone this week to join the group, marrones not expressed a ton of confidence in those guys. They didn't get reps last year, outside searcy who has been openly touted our 3rd safety.... the combine comments weren't very positive....

Edited by NoSaint

I'd like one more guy that's reliable enough to set a floor at the position.... Especially if, heaven forbid, Aaron Williams missed a couple weeks. Don't need a star but I'd like some known quantity. So far, short of not signing someone this week to join the group, marrones not expressed a ton of confidence in those guys. They didn't get reps last year, outside searcy who has been openly touted our 3rd safety, the combine comments weren't very positive....

This is what i want

I've mentioned saints safety Rafael bush a few times. Lots of experience, good special teamer, would be reliable if things went south at the position and those guys don't pan out. Played 13 games last year, started 6 with the rest in a role kind of like searcy as a 3rd safety.

Tendered at the lowest level and no compensation needed - cheap insurance that can contribute even if those guys play well.

Edited by NoSaint

If the Bills were willing to throw money at Jairus Byrd, I wouldn't completely throw out the idea of drafting a Safety IF Whaley thinks he's special….like Earl Thomas, Troy Polumalu special.

I'd rather they didn't, but there is logic to support it.

If the Bills were willing to throw money at Jairus Byrd, I wouldn't completely throw out the idea of drafting a Safety IF Whaley thinks he's special….like Earl Thomas, Troy Polumalu special.

I'd rather they didn't, but there is logic to support it.

like Donte Whitner special? :wallbash:

I'd like one more guy that's reliable enough to set a floor at the position.... Especially if, heaven forbid, Aaron Williams missed a couple weeks. Don't need a star but I'd like some known quantity. So far, short of not signing someone this week to join the group, marrones not expressed a ton of confidence in those guys. They didn't get reps last year, outside searcy who has been openly touted our 3rd safety.... the combine comments weren't very positive....

guessing Searcy is below our floor?

Leonhard might be worth a last minute call come Sunday evening after we make our last pick and we didn't land a S worth a nod

I don't want to waste a late flier on a S. We have Meeks and DWilliams to try out and Searcy in the mix. With Robey and Graham having value at nickel/dime we have a little bit of flexibility.

I thought I remember Searcy scooping up a Ridley fumble and returning it for the TD, and intercepting an intended Geno swing pass to a WR on the left, and returning that for a TD. But this only says he had 1 TD last year... Was that not Searcy with that pick 6?

I remember feeling like Searcy would be cut in the final cutdowns of training camp, because he just looked awful with his tackling during the preseason, but he made it, and actually played well at times. I wouldn't be against him battling Duke for the starting job, as long as Aaron is still back there as the center fielder and Searcy is more box-disciplined safety.

I thought I remember Searcy scooping up a Ridley fumble and returning it for the TD, and intercepting an intended Geno swing pass to a WR on the left, and returning that for a TD. But this only says he had 1 TD last year... Was that not Searcy with that pick 6?

I remember feeling like Searcy would be cut in the final cutdowns of training camp, because he just looked awful with his tackling during the preseason, but he made it, and actually played well at times. I wouldn't be against him battling Duke for the starting job, as long as Aaron is still back there as the center fielder and Searcy is more box-disciplined safety.

Searcy did have two TDs last year.

I do not want the Bills to draft a Safety this year. I want them to focus on weapons for EJ as well as some protection for him.

I think another mid-round safety is very likely this year...And if this Draft is truly as deep as some say it is we may be able to get a real nice prospect as late as the 4th or 5th round... B-)