Fans of Other Teams Before the Bills?

Were you a fan of another team before you became a Bills fan?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a fan of another team before you became a Bills fan?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kind of...

Ah HA !  I knew some of you were bandwagon fans !  :o  You started liking the Bills during the Kelly,Smith,Thurman years. How brave.  ;) 

I started going to games in 1968. 1-12-1 that year. Suffered through the no-win 70's vs. the Dolphins. Multiple losing years.

I can only repsect those who are older and understand true bitterness and hate, like myself.  :D

Late 80's,early 90's..pfffffffffft.  Fu#*ing front runners.  :rolleyes:

214866[/snapback]

The Rock was fun as a kid, I could have wrote that post Mark :blink:

Ah HA !  I knew some of you were bandwagon fans !  :o  You started liking the Bills during the Kelly,Smith,Thurman years. How brave.  ;) 

I started going to games in 1968. 1-12-1 that year. Suffered through the no-win 70's vs. the Dolphins. Multiple losing years.

I can only repsect those who are older and understand true bitterness and hate, like myself.  :D

Late 80's,early 90's..pfffffffffft.  Fu#*ing front runners.  :rolleyes:

214866[/snapback]

LOL, I was still a toddler during the AFL Championship seasons, so I know exactly what you mean. Always a Bills fan (but it was actually Braves first, then a tie between Sabres and Bills).

Remember how you used to 'be' a player when you had a pickup game? There was one kid in my neighborhood who would 'be' a player from another city's team - can you believe it? It gets worse - I distinctly remember him 'being' Mercury Morris at one point. I never liked that damn kid. It still pisses me off.

heck some of you are like 20 years older than my mom LOL

seriously

in 68'' my mom was like 8 or 9 LOL

214906[/snapback]

I should take this opportunity to state I do not believe I know your mother, and I am not aware of any children I may or may not have fathered during the period of time I resided in Buffalo.

The Rock was fun as a kid, I could have wrote that post Mark :rolleyes:

214907[/snapback]

I went to 14-15 games at the old Rockpile. I can still see that entrance on Best St. The black peanut salesman with the muttonchops, yelling poetry as he sold his peanuts. Those wooden bingo chairs on the field in the endzone. ( sat there a couple times ) . The cheerleaders spelling out Buffalo. Those wonderful helmets and uniforms.

( Sigh ) :D

I should take this opportunity to state I do not believe I know your mother, and I am not aware of any children I may or may not have fathered during the period of time I resided in Buffalo.

214910[/snapback]

Daddy? Daddy is that you? Mommy said you were off in Peace Corps! And you're sober!

Having been born in Chicago in 1959 I was a became a big time Chicago sports fan from the age of 8 or 9 or so.  Since the Cubs were doing well in the late 60s (leading to the demolition year and the Amazin' Mets of 1969) it got me used to rooting for teams which came heartbreaking close to being great but would break my heart in the end.  This made me an easy mark for the Bills of the early 90s.

I actually came to the Bills and Buffalo for the best reason possible, my lovely wife!  I went away to college in NJ in the late 70s but kept my Chicago sports rootin roots.  I lived in DC in the 80s but Chicago teams were my teams.

In 1989 I came to my senses, got married and moved to the promised land of Buffalo and a weird thing happened to my rooting interests.  It was great to finally root for an SB winner with my psychotic addiction to the Bears in 1985 (our answering machine song featured the Bears' Super Bowl shuffle that year much to the confusion of the Mom of one of the two women I was sharing a house with).  The Bulls finally rode MJ to a series of great payoffs which warmed the soul of a kid who had spent many an evening in the stygian depths of Chicago Stadium as a kid.

However, my move to Buffalo coincided with the bulding of a great team, the K-Gun and a town which simply went wild over its team making the SB and losing, and making the SB and losing, and making the SB agsin and losing, and making the SB again (weerr'rree back) and losing.

I was hooked and have enjoyed the ride.  I think even with the pain of the losses, the ride has given me some of humankinds finest hours like the heartfelt outpouring to Scott Norwood in Niagara Square.

Don't get me wrong, as I was there with the 1985 Bears, rooting for a team which wins the SB is great, but I actually think the moments like the Norwood "group hug" were even better sports moments for me.  It may be easy for me to say because I have rooted for winners, but I actually wouldn't trade 1 SB win for the Bills 4 SB losses.  1 SB win can be a great episode, but the 4 losses provided me with so much entertainment and sharing with the community in a community which because of its fears of an economic downturn like the 70s and 89s there is not enough sharing that if forced to choose I would take the 4 losses over winning just once.

Life is such that we are not in control over such things so there is no choice.  Thus, since i can make a meaningless pick, i will take 4 SB wins for the Bills instead.

In the end, I am a Buffaloanian and a Buffalo rooter.  The most relevant sports caveat for this is that I have fully adopted my Buffalo hometown pro sports teams (the Bills and Sabres) over my childhood Chicago sports teams (the Bears and Blackhawks). I root for the Bills and Sabreas to beat and in fact enbarass my childhood affiliations quite easily.  However, out of unfulfilled dreams and first love (the Cubs) and having the best player to ever play the game (MJ) it has been quite convenient to have Buffalo only do the AAA thing in baseball (I have had full year season tickets to the Bisons and shared a set with several friends other years because it was the first time I could afford this outlay for a sport) and that the lamented Braves gone because I remain a Cub and Bull fan.

Yet overall, I am a Bills boy and hope and expect to be for life (or as long as my wife willl have me).

214743[/snapback]

Marv's book was shorter... :rolleyes::D

Daddy?  Daddy is that you?  Mommy said you were off in Peace Corps!  And you're sober!

214913[/snapback]

Uh, I believe the closest I ever got to Latham was Voorheesville. And it wasn't the Peace Corps, it was the Air Force. And yes, there usually was alcohol involved in there somewhere.

heck some of you are like 20 years older than my mom LOL

seriously

in 68'' my mom was like 8 or 9 LOL

214906[/snapback]

Sounds like I have kids older than you!

I chose the my nickname because that is the place I learned to love the Bills! :rolleyes:

Other teams besides my beloved Bills? WTF??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I was never really a football fan.... but during the early 90's era, well I rooted for the 49ers. Not a big fan, just kind of needed a favorite team and they were it.

Then about 3-4 years ago I started getting into the Bills, and listened to Howard Simon a lot, and well now I'm as big a fan and as knowledgable as they come.

Probably like many of you, I cannot have regular Bills conversations with normal people anymore. I know way too much about the Bills roster and problems to even lower myself (its really just boring) to listening to what they have to say. If you can't name every player and coach on the team... well you just arent worth my time :rolleyes:

p.s. Flutie was a large part of the reason I started getting into the Bills at all.