Cap could hit $160 million in 2016

The cap has inexorably increased for years. Yet nearly all teams make money every year. The new TV contracts bring unprecedented money. This will be reflected in a proportionately higher cap.

I don't see any teams folding for financial reasons or the league contracting. The teams with the most fans and most affluent fans will make the highest profit, but all teams rise with rising tide.

Look at what the cap was 10 years ago. There has been a massive increase since, yet "small market" teams like the Bills have remained very strong financially.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cap has inexorably increased for years. Yet nearly all teams make money every year. The new TV contracts bring unprecedented money. This will be reflected in a proportionately higher cap.

I don't see any teams folding for financial reasons or the league contracting. The teams with the most fans and most affluent fans will make the highest profit, but all teams rise with rising tide.

Look at what the cap was 10 years ago. There has been a massive increase since, yet "small market" teams like the Bills have remained very strong financially.

thank you for explaining it so well for me. This has been my point all along.

What small thinking are you referring to? They sold rights to 5 regular season games to another city for $72M! The Bills are pretty progressive. They do not own the land or the stadium so I don't know hat good a bunch of restaurants in Orchard Park would do? I think that the Bills organization has done a lot well with the hand that they are dealt and are often unfairly criticized IMO.

Not sure what else to say, compare Lambeau to RW stadium and it should be clear. Compare the websites, training camps, promotions, team products, events etc. etc. The difference is stark. Selling some games to Toronto ? reminds me of a failing company in Rochester selling off their patents to stay in business just a little longer.

Not sure what else to say, compare Lambeau to RW stadium and it should be clear. Compare the websites, training camps, promotions, team products, events etc. etc. The difference is stark. Selling some games to Toronto ? reminds me of a failing company in Rochester selling off their patents to stay in business just a little longer.

I am not sure why are we comparing a team with the richest tradition in the league and 4 Super Bowl titles to the Bills? They have Lombardi, the Ice Bowl, Starr, Favre, Rodgers and the cheeseheads. They run a good small market operation but in all reality it runs on the strength of their brand. Compare the Bills to other like markets without a Super Bowl title (Jax, Carolina, Cleveland, KC, Cincy, San Diego) and I think that they stack up pretty favorably.

I was taking issue with the "thinking small" comment. That is just not true. If you choose to not agree with the decisions that is one thing but to act like they are not outside the box just isn't right. FWIW, the Bills training camp is THE model within the league and has been emulated by numerous teams.

I am not trying to be a total Negative Nancy but how much revenue do you think that the website, events, stadium tours, promotions, etc actually generate? It is pretty much none and moot to this conversation. The conversation is about what the Bills need to do to bridge the growing gap with the NY Giants of the world?

If you want to talk about how the team should engage the fan base that is different. If that were the conversation the first thing that I would do is look to the Seattle Sounders and their model. I think that the Billsmafia could function in a similar manner but again, different topic (albeit an interesting one).

Can someone give me the number that the Bills have to spend this year after the rookie cap, insurance, etc... How much do the Bills have to spend on free agents is the question? I just saw like $25,634,000 in cap space but I do not know what the holds are.

usually have to reserve about 5 mil for all rookie contracts. so that leaves 20 mil.

usually have to reserve about 5 mil for all rookie contracts. so that leaves 20 mil.

Knowing how the Bills do things my guess is that that leaves them 10 mil. The other 10 mil will sit collecting dust.