Replace Byrd with the Champ

Wouldn't hurt to bring him in to fight it out in camp. But he's not signing a lowball contract offer to do that. Nor would he be signing a lowball offer to any team that isn't a step away from having rings on their fingers.

I'd guess Champ wants to go to a team with a legitimate shot this year at winning a title. Like the 49ers, Etc...

And personally, the guy has not aged well. He's older than dirt and is not worth a big contract. So if we could pick him up similarly to how we picked up Leonard last year.

Obviously several factors come into play (his price tag and would he come), but I think the Bills should go after Champ Bailey. He's not the same cornerback as he was, but even if he is a step slower than his 4.28 40, he's plenty face to be a FS. The guy knows everything about secondary play and it's been a successful transition from aging corner to FS in the past (Rod Woodson, Aeneas Williams, Troy Vincent, even Byrd from college).

On top of the fact he would be a good centerfield, what Bailey could bring as a leader to young players would be invaluable. Also, the old Bills would let Byrd go and then use their 1st round pick to replace him. Bringing in Bailey allows the team to address other needs in the draft. Thoughts?

I dont see how Bailey fits on this team and why he would want to play for Buffalo at this stage of his career

I think the plan is to move A.Williams to FS and let D.Williams, Meeks, and Searcy battle it out for the SS spot

Edited by Max997

Are we actually in agreement??? :beer:

And Bailey isn't as physically as Woodson but do you really need that out of a FS? In fact, the league almost doesn't want the defense to be too physical. Bailey also isn't Deion. He will come up and put a shoulder on you. Remember him on Watson in the Denver-NE game a few years ago?

I would love to have a veteran leader in on the D but I don't think he is durable enough any longer.

I do not disagree that they need some leadership. I guess that I was hoping that it would come from the run stuffing LB that they are seeking. Jackson would have made sense if he didn't go to Indy. Maybe Spikes or Beason can fill that role of how to be a pro? I could also see Jared Allen as an inexpensive free agent target (although I think that his tank is pretty close to E as well). I expect AW to take the leadership reigns in the secondary and run with them.

There aren't a lot of good leadership types available that can still play. Jackson was a good fit, but even he has no experience winning and having played on a team without a QB for so long it was almost inevitable he would go to a team with a proven one. I thought it was telling that Pittsburgh found a way to keep Troy Polamalu......you don't want to lose your identity as a franchise. He doesn't have a lot left physically but he would have been a good target for Buffalo because he really has all of those intangibles. He has rings and he has been in some of the more violently contested playoff games in the past decade. He knows exactly what it takes to be a championship defense. IMO a good decision by Pittsburgh. It's not easy to get an identity back. We are on year 14 after Donahoe's bloody coup and still have none.

He probably changed his tune the minute he was released. I think it's a smart move to go to safety.

Tough call.

Buffalo , not so sure.

Safety position? probably .

I dont want Jim back , but agree a veteran should be in play for us somehow.

Obviously several factors come into play (his price tag and would he come), but I think the Bills should go after Champ Bailey. He's not the same cornerback as he was, but even if he is a step slower than his 4.28 40, he's plenty face to be a FS. The guy knows everything about secondary play and it's been a successful transition from aging corner to FS in the past (Rod Woodson, Aeneas Williams, Troy Vincent, even Byrd from college).

On top of the fact he would be a good centerfield, what Bailey could bring as a leader to young players would be invaluable. Also, the old Bills would let Byrd go and then use their 1st round pick to replace him. Bringing in Bailey allows the team to address other needs in the draft. Thoughts?

I like the idea of it, but it seems like Bailey, at his age, would want to go to a team that was a surer bet to contend. Obviously today’s NFL teams get good or fall off sometimes in the course of the year, but he would appear to be a good get for a team that is more set for a run (meaning proven, good QB play to go along with offensive and defensive talent.)

In the words of Barbara Bush: JUST SAY NO!

It was Nancy Reagan. lol

Are we actually in agreement??? :beer:

And Bailey isn't as physically as Woodson but do you really need that out of a FS? In fact, the league almost doesn't want the defense to be too physical. Bailey also isn't Deion. He will come up and put a shoulder on you. Remember him on Watson in the Denver-NE game a few years ago?

Deion made tackles when he needed to. I’m not saying he didn’t make a lot of business decisions, but he would come up from time to time.