Scouts Quick Take On Top Prospects

agardin

All the other stuff this anonymous scout said about Lewan may or may not be true...But the statement " Not an elite left-tackle athlete ..." is a joke...Lewan is basically the definition of an elite LT athletically...He was a top O-Line performer at the Combine in the 40 (1st), vert jump (3rd), broad jump (1st), and 3-cone drill (4th)...He's got 34" arms and did 29 reps...Athletically Lewan is unquestionably elite...No doubt he needs to bring a more physical element to his game...I should know, I'm a Michigan fan...But he's got the athletic ability to be very, very good in time...Like I've written here before Lewan reminds me of Nate Solder...Solder took a couple years, but he's a top 10 LT now...With the right coaching, in the right system, I see Lewan being as good if not better than Solder... B-)

I don't know about all his takes, but I think his OT Lewan analysis is spot on. I know some like that guy on this board but I'd hate to see the Bills take him in any part of the first round.

In a draft with 10 plus great options for the Bills to grab one of, people are trying to sell themselves on an OT that screams bust.

Edited by DC Grid

I don't know about all his takes, but I think his OT Lewan analysis is spot on. I know some like that guy on this board but I'd hate to see the Bills take him in any part of the first round.

In a draft with 10 plus great options for the Bills to grab one of, people are trying to sell themselves on an OT that screams bust.

So you don't think Lewan is "an elite LT athlete?" Purely athletically, you don't think he's elite?

So you don't think Lewan is "an elite LT athlete?" Purely athletically, you don't think he's elite?

I think he's extremely athletic, but I see a guy that got pushed around a fair bit in the games I saw. He can be put on his butt by bull rushers and is a work in progress in pass pro in general. So right now it's hard to see him as an upgrade over Glenn at LT, and if you're going for a guy to be a mauler at RT, I think you'd want a guy with a little better track record in terms of toughness / durability. A guy who seems to struggle getting though a college schedule healthy is going to have a rough time in the pros.

I think he's extremely athletic, but I see a guy that got pushed around a fair bit in the games I saw. He can be put on his butt by bull rushers and is a work in progress in pass pro in general. So right now it's hard to see him as an upgrade over Glenn at LT, and if you're going for a guy to be a mauler at RT, I think you'd want a guy with a little better track record in terms of toughness / durability. A guy who seems to struggle getting though a college schedule healthy is going to have a rough time in the pros.

Well...

No one is going to replace Glenn at LT...That's not in the Bills plans...So he would definitely play RT in Buffalo...

I watched every Michigan game...They're my favorite College team and have been for over 20 years...While I'll admit Lewan struggled at times, he also dominated a lot as well...I rarely saw him get pushed around as much as I saw him get sloppy at times and lose his technique...That's all coach-able stuff...You can't coach the kind of athlete he is...Is he raw? No doubt about it...But so is Greg Robinson (who I think is the #1 prospect in this Draft)...A good coach will take Lewan and make him a star...If he goes to the wrong situation who knows...

I was mainly commenting on the fact that the scout said Lewan is " Not an elite left-tackle athlete..." And that is just a ridiculous statement...Like I said...the rest may or may not be true...We'll see... B-)

I'll wait for Mike Mayock who watches all the game film.

Its like the certain scouts that sit and watch highlights all day, and get their opinion that way.

I've never heard of Daniel Kim, is he is the guy that said the Texans would hire David Shaw? Anyway, probably lost his job as an NFL scout and now writes for the NFL.

Sounds pretty authentic to me, although I disagree on a few guys (I don't think Ebron is Gronk-like, nor do I think ASJ is phony).

I'm not really a Lewan guy, so I agree there.

Overall though, it's interesting...thanks for linking OP

Man, it's getting really hard to justify passing up on this guy. Willing and capable blocker, great size, and an exceptional receiver. Could turn out the be the best player in the draft.

Here's the thing on Ebron for me:

He's a gifted TE for sure--where I get hung up is that I can't figure out how a 6'4" 250 LB TE with 4.6 speed presents a greater matchup problem than, say, a 6'5" 240 LB WR with 4.5 speed like Mike Evans.

If I'm taking a TE at 9 overall, I want him to be a matchup nightmare. Gronk is like that because he's got the 4.5 speed and the dominant blocking ability...Ebron has neither.

See what I'm saying?

Were I picking in the 15-20 range, I could probably get myself comfortable with Ebron; he is a very good football player. I just think that the talent level of this class is too high to settle for less than elite at No. 9.

Thoughts?

He's a gifted TE for sure--where I get hung up is that I can't figure out how a 6'4" 250 LB TE with 4.6 speed presents a greater matchup problem than, say, a 6'5" 240 LB WR with 4.5 speed like Mike Evans.

If I'm taking a TE at 9 overall, I want him to be a matchup nightmare. Gronk is like that because he's got the 4.5 speed and the dominant blocking ability...Ebron has neither.

See what I'm saying?

Were I picking in the 15-20 range, I could probably get myself comfortable with Ebron; he is a very good football player. I just think that the talent level of this class is too high to settle for less than elite at No. 9.

Thoughts?

Fully agree.

See what I'm saying?

Thoughts?

Ebron is not a "dominant" blocker, but he is certainly above average. Guys like Graham, Gronk, or Gates don't necessarily need to be great blockers. Ebron, IMO, looks like a very solid receiver. I don't think he has even scraped the surface of his potential, and quite honestly, I think he has the frame to add 10-15 pounds without sacrificing his speed and athleticism.

Sure, I think you need to secure "elite" talent with a top 10 pick. If Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews are off the board, however, what would you do? Lewan? Clinton-Dix/Pryor? Mosley? Aaron Donald? Gilbert?

I think if the big 4 (who are likely to be gone by 9) are all off the board, Ebron at least needs to be considered.

Ebron is not a "dominant" blocker, but he is certainly above average. Guys like Graham, Gronk, or Gates don't necessarily need to be great blockers. Ebron, IMO, looks like a very solid receiver. I don't think he has even scraped the surface of his potential, and quite honestly, I think he has the frame to add 10-15 pounds without sacrificing his speed and athleticism.

Sure, I think you need to secure "elite" talent with a top 10 pick. If Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews are off the board, however, what would you do? Lewan? Clinton-Dix/Pryor? Mosley? Aaron Donald? Gilbert?

I think if the big 4 (who are likely to be gone by 9) are all off the board, Ebron at least needs to be considered.

I think he would take Mike Evans, since that's who he compared Ebron to. I know I would. But let's say those 4 you mentioned AND Evans are gone by 9 -- which is possible if the QBs all drop. At that point, Ebron would have to be a consideration, along with Lewan and the ever-popular trade down. Out of those 3, I'd probably favor the trade down, although you never know what kind of offers will be there.

Your rationale makes sense Johnny.

If those four are gone at 9, I'd be picking between Donald, Evans, Ebron, and Pryor.

I think he would take Mike Evans, since that's who he compared Ebron to. I know I would. But let's say those 4 you mentioned AND Evans are gone by 9 -- which is possible if the QBs all drop. At that point, Ebron would have to be a consideration, along with Lewan and the ever-popular trade down. Out of those 3, I'd probably favor the trade down, although you never know what kind of offers will be there.

Right now I'd probably lean toward Evans, yes

in that business, I think you have to trust your gut. If you purely hang review on the numbers, (40 time, reps, etc), and disregard the intangibles, you will fail in that business - or any really. Oddly, I did not find his assessments shocking or enlightening..