2014 dream draft scenario

enlightener

last years draft was awesome especially watching the board comments as we started out trading back, then getting woods etc... with the possibility growing that mack or Watkins falls to 9 this scenario has been growing in my mind....

If Watkins drops to 9 and the bills were able to trade back to somewhere between 10-15 and pick up another second/third depending. They could still get either mosley,evans,robinson or ebron along with taking advantage of the depth in the draft this year and get that OG in round 2...as good as Watkins would look in a bills uni, I think 2 quality players are better than one great one. (unless its a Qb) think how we got EJ and Kiko doing this last year. Imagine this and a byrd trade for even another 2nd,that would be epic!

I really hope something like is happens, whats your dream scenario?

last years draft was awesome especially watching the board comments as we started out trading back, then getting woods etc... with the possibility growing that mack or Watkins falls to 9 this scenario has been growing in my mind....

If Watkins drops to 9 and the bills were able to trade back to somewhere between 10-15 and pick up another second/third depending. They could still get either mosley,evans,robinson or ebron along with taking advantage of the depth in the draft this year and get that OG in round 2...as good as Watkins would look in a bills uni, I think 2 quality players are better than one great one. (unless its a Qb) think how we got EJ and Kiko doing this last year. Imagine this and a byrd trade for even another 2nd,that would be epic!

(screeching brakes) I'm sorry, -what?!

I apreciate your opinion, and I can see how you'd feel that way. However, I'm hoping like hell OBD doesn't see things the way you do. Great players are the ones that get you to championships. And great players are the ones that win them for you. Quality players are absolutely necessary, but two Robins don't make one Batman. -Sorry.

Edited by #34fan

I'm with #34fan. You pay your elite players at whatever position they play, then fill in holes around them as necessary. Any non-elite players are expendable. It's elite players that win you championships.

Edited by Haplo848

I'm with #34fan. You pay your elite players at whatever position they play, then fill in holes around them as necessary. Any non-elite players are expendable. It's elite players that win you championships.

Disagree. Going with enlightener on this one.

The Bills are a number of starters away from competing for anything, a playoff spot.

Byrd is an elite player per most on here, and the Bills looked no better or worse this year with or without him that I recall?

Who says the player you take at 9 is going to be better than the player you take after trading back?

Dareus is great and all but if we traded back for an extra 2nd and still landed JJ Watt I would have been much happier

I would also argue - who are the superstars that lead Seattle to the Superbowl this year? I don't think you could name just 2-3, their whole team is filled with quality players. Every one is good and they are a team that won, not a few elite players.

Edited by peterpan

#34fan

ya but not if one gets injured, id rather have mosley and a a nice guard or ebron and a nice 2nd round LB than just Watkins... what if we didn't get kiko last year? we would have just had an injured EJ for half the season.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought Kiko was a STUD at Oregon. He will absolutely make great plays if given the opportunity. I gathered from your quote that you think Sammy Watkins is great. -Personally, I'm not so sure. At the moment, I'd put him in your "quality" category. Your statement was that you thought two "quality" players were better than one "great" one. I can't agree. I'm foolish enough to think we can get both, if we're serious about it.

Drafting quality should be the goal regardless of the round your picking in. Drafting greatness, however, is where the pros earn their money. Greatness can be hard to spot, and once you find it, it may take time to develop and nurture it. This year is tough.. So many QUALITY players make finding the great ones more difficult. I though EJ was the guy for us in the '13 draft. -NOT because I thought he was great, but because I knew Buddy was taking a QB no matter what. -EJ was the best in my book.

Question: Who were the great players taken in the '13 draft?

I think the issue of depth just became a bit more important for the Bills. The unexpected increase in the salary cap this offseason is bad news for the Bills. Their revenues are pretty flat because they have pretty much destroyed their brand with short-sighted management over the past 14 years. Five years ago Ralph could pocket $30M+ per year pretty easily just by managing costs, but other teams are driving up the salary cap by creating greater unshared revenue streams, in great part because they are doing a better job presenting and marketing themselves as a competitive, exciting, dynamic product. If the Bills are finally entering a period where they won't be able to spend dollar for dollar with every other club without LOSING money.......which hasn't been the case up until now.......then they will need to draft well and draft often. If they aren't taking a QB.....IMO they should move back and try to pick up an additional 1-2 day two/three picks. Hopefully, in the meantime they re-establish their brand but it's not going to be easy.

It is more then getting two good players for one great one. It is creating a hole in the roster that we do not need to make. We have the room to resign Byrd and once he is resigned we then call up Aaron Williams, among others. We take our top talent and commit to it now.

Whew, A.D.D. Anyway, getting rid of Byrd to get draft picks and replacing positions with good players to develop to great sounds like a great idea and is a great idea but it doesn't need to happen. We have the draft picks, we have the cap room and we have the potential in FA to fill needs up to not needlessly waste picks. If we sign a solid 2 down ILB, a range extending TE or maybe a large bodied WR to compliment what we have, and a depth player or two at OL we would be prime to take whatever we wanted at 9 or any trade down pick.

Imagine, going in to the draft and no one calls at 9 and the #1 OLB is there. It'd be hard not to take him and we really shouldn't. But, we could. Or the top FS. We could pick up an impact player out of sheer happenstance. That is why draft an OT in the first would not make me flinch at all. (The only reason I do not want to draft OL is because our Front Office has been lackluster in the past at finding/grading OL).

Needless to say, I would prefer another option to your dream. It's not that it is incorrect but it is a lot of dominoes falling just right and finding someone who'd dance for Byrd.

The problem is, you only THINK you know who the elite players will be. Lots and lots of elite players are not picked in the first 10 picks.

It is more then getting two good players for one great one. It is creating a hole in the roster that we do not need to make. We have the room to resign Byrd and once he is resigned we then call up Aaron Williams, among others. We take our top talent and commit to it now.

Whew, A.D.D. Anyway, getting rid of Byrd to get draft picks and replacing positions with good players to develop to great sounds like a great idea and is a great idea but it doesn't need to happen. We have the draft picks, we have the cap room and we have the potential in FA to fill needs up to not needlessly waste picks. If we sign a solid 2 down ILB, a range extending TE or maybe a large bodied WR to compliment what we have, and a depth player or two at OL we would be prime to take whatever we wanted at 9 or any trade down pick.

Imagine, going in to the draft and no one calls at 9 and the #1 OLB is there. It'd be hard not to take him and we really shouldn't. But, we could. Or the top FS. We could pick up an impact player out of sheer happenstance. That is why draft an OT in the first would not make me flinch at all. (The only reason I do not want to draft OL is because our Front Office has been lackluster in the past at finding/grading OL).

Needless to say, I would prefer another option to your dream. It's not that it is incorrect but it is a lot of dominoes falling just right and finding someone who'd dance for Byrd.

problem is Byrd doesn't really want to be here. That and you will lose Williams if you sign Byrd... The Byrd part was secondary to trading back which was the real point of my thread.

problem is Byrd doesn't really want to be here. That and you will lose Williams if you sign Byrd... The Byrd part was secondary to trading back which was the real point of my thread.

I hate this nonsense.

No!

Who said he doesn't want to be here? Some silly articles written by thosemon the outside? Why is it every time he is asked he avoids the entire topic? He has never said he doesn't and it is entirely speculation. The guy has been respectful and upright in every way with handling this and praised Buffalo. And even just last week or so an article came out saying he is interested in staying.