Big receiver times

Unless he gets sacked 4 times a game.

I posted an analysis that Football Outsiders did on sack responsibility a while back.

Short summary: the Bills had one of the lowest percentages in the NFL if sacks resulting from beaten blocks--the vast majority came from a combination of lack of open targets and QB putting himself in harm's way...confirmed for me what I felt like I saw with all 3 QBs during the season.

The OL wasn't all (or even mostly) to blame for the sacks last year.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be great to get a good big wide out but I think at this point that would be a luxury more than a need. You have to fix the offensive line and the defense first. I would fix the line and defense and hope that a couple of the young receivers step up this season. If they don't you can draft a great wide out next year.

Just having a difficult time taking a WR ahead of OT, CB or LB. WR success depends so much on the QB whose success depends on having time to throw.

The QB bears a LOT of the onus for the passing game--far more so than the OL.

A good QB takes the teeth out of the pass rush more often than an OL by setting protections, knowing how to move in the pocket to where the blocking is sound, throwing at the proper time, etc.

I'm not meaning to imply that you don't know this--in fact I assume you likely do.

I'm just asserting that giving the QB as many targets as possible in which he feels confident will do more for his development than trying to give him more time to throw to targets that don't get open.

Remember: the defense can ALWAYS send more pressure than the offense can block--the QB needs to be able to beat the pressure.

Know what I mean?

I posted an analysis that Football Outsiders did on sack responsibility a while back.

Short summary: the Bills had one of the lowest percentages in the NFL if sacks resulting from beaten blocks--the vast majority came from a combination of lack of open targets and QB putting himself in harm's way...confirmed for me what I felt like I saw with all 3 QBs during the season.

The OL wasn't all (or even mostly) to blame for the sacks last year.

It's what I've always liked best about the coach's game tape and I'm glad we all have access to the all-22 because we can see these types of things so much more clearly. Our QBs held the ball far too long waiting for receivers to get open more than you'd like to see. OLmen just can't sustain blocks in the face of that kind of indecision.

Some of us let a mother of all bad games by Colin Brown vs. the Jest to distort the reality on the field. If not for that bad outing, the PFF analysis would look even better for the OLine as a whole.

GO BILLS!!!

Some of us let a mother of all bad games by Colin Brown vs. the Jest to distort the reality on the field. If not for that bad outing, the PFF analysis would look even better for the OLine as a whole.

GO BILLS!!!

Now you're not referring to anyone in particular, are you?

Sammy Watkins runs a 4.34 Wow. 6-1 211.

Top 5 lock

Let's say EJ gets sacked once every 10 drop backs, is it a lot yeah it is. However the other 9 times he is getting the ball out he needs weapons to get the ball to. That's why getting a playmaker like Evans is more of a priority than oline. A game changing WR will have more of an impact on a game than an olineman. A playmaker who puts points on the board is more important out of a top 10 pick

Let's say EJ gets sacked once every 10 drop backs, is it a lot yeah it is. However the other 9 times he is getting the ball out he needs weapons to get the ball to. That's why getting a playmaker like Evans is more of a priority than oline. A game changing WR will have more of an impact on a game than an olineman. A playmaker who puts points on the board is more important out of a top 10 pick

Although I feel that the premise is an oversimplification, the crux of your point is quite solid

I've benn saying Evans since we were done in December and got toldbyome I was nuts, he made Manziel look good. I would not mind Kelvin Benjami though, I think he has most upside and is a little familar with Manuel at FSU. I like Nikalas also, but Fidorowic really impressed me. Dont know what was rong with Ebron, Ice on knee. Scary!!

I feel like we can get Ebron or Watkins in the first and still get one of these big guys in the second. I like Evans or Benjamin

Watkins is likely to be a top 5 pick, and after their workouts, there's almost no chance either Evans or Benjamin fall out of the top 20, let alone out of the first round.