Is TJ Graham as bad as we think?

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree that Goodwin has far outplayed Graham. If you look at the numbers, it's far closer than you think. Goodwin also got hurt multiple times this year.

I would disagree with that.

if you watch them play, Goodwin looks more game ready and focused

But no matter. This is the year of Graham. He has a lot to prove in camp . He has real competition and may have more soon.

But no matter. This is the year of Graham. He has a lot to prove in camp . He has real competition and may have more soon.

Agreed. Goodwin has much better hands too.

Graham has the speed and seems to get OK separation. I also like his Mario TD dance.

http://www.buffaloru...place-tj-graham

"T.J was targeted on 58 passing plays, which accounts for 11% of all the quarterback targets (522). T.J. was the fifth receiving option in the pass game, behind Stevie Johnson (150 targets), Robert Woods (85 targets), Scott Chandler (81 targets) and Fred Jackson (65 targets). Of the seven primary receiving targets on the Bills, Graham had the worst catch to target ratio of 39.7%"

The article gives a good breakdown of the times Graham was targeted and reaffirms what we already know.

I had to stop at ten passes that i saw that our franchise QB put in places that no WR could make a catch unless he was 15' tall !!

Which brings me back to the point of we need to draft a QB in a later round so not to put all of our eggs in this guys pocket cause if they get broke where do we go then ?? You all have but ran Tuel out of town & Thad isn't going to take us there . SO ??

To be fare to TJ i personally think it's time to move on & replace him with the big receiver that the Bills exec's have been talking about for the past 5 years . When Buddy drafted this guy i was like HUH :blink: ? Where did they get this guy ? I hadn't heard any one making noise over him !

I didn't see that one coming AT ALL !! B-)

Anyway- I could care less how it ends up as long as they are better, I would love TJG to become a stud WR, I simply have nothing to found a hope like that on, excepting some college highlight reel stuff now over 3 years old. Based on what I have seen I expect to see him off the 53 man roster. And yes my primary cause for that is the one niche role he could occupy for the team has a better candidate for it.

Not snipping and clipping your post like that FireChan did. :nana:

But, I think many of us are really here. I am more or less on the same page as you, except I really did not see a college highlight reel that stood out. Of course, he played at NCSU and not Texas, so there is that. If your glass of TJG was 50% it'd be half empty. If my glass of TJG was 50% it'd be half full.

I have seen enough of Goodwin and Graham to know how I want both of them used. I have seen Woods and Easley, too. I want to see Woods on the outside and get him a large "true ideal #1 type WR" to play along side. I want 3 WR sets every snap with mixes of RB's, TE's and different players. I want SJ13 in the slot. I want Goodwin in as the 4th target option alongside a TE or RB down field. I want Graham used as the first guy off the bench should WR's 1, 2, 3 go down. I am not ready to cut him because we have enough needs to fill and I am 50% full.

Could he turn an edge this year? Could he break out, 1,000 yards and 15 TD's? Hell no. Not on this team with this talent. Not likely on any team with any talent. But he could become a 600 yard receiver, IMO. Could. He's more likely the 350-450 yard 3rd/4th WR. Goodwin is the package WR and best used in portions and circumstances. He would not be effective on the field for 90% of the snaps because what is he going to do? Just run straight really fast? We run. A lot. We don't have the time to get the long passes and despite everyone playing Madden, most plays are not designed to have a legit option past 10-12 yards down field.

Believe it or not, though, we're on the same page.

And to the rest of the recent posts "TJ Graham sucks, cut him" crowd...yeah, uhh, thanks? Whats your point? Give your reasoning and up the post count. It's not worth just lighting a flame and walking away. It won't burn here.

It's not a coincidence that 50% of passes to TJ are bad. He doesn't run routes properly and doesn't look for the ball. 3rd and 8? He runs a 15 yard curl, ball at feet. Wide open on a crossing route? He doesn't even look at qb, engages the MLB instead. Deep passes? He doesn't see them coming unless they hit him in the hands. Or else he'll run so close to the sideline the pass sails OB. Has no ability to keep feet in bounds near sidelines. And so many mental mistakes. Remember EJ's intentional grounding in the corner of endzone, TJ and Easley ran conflicting routes? Marrone confirmed that Easley ran the right route. Losing to the pats because he runs wrong route to let them pick off Fitz. False starts. Can't handle his only kick return attempt. Fumble 6 vs KC. 3 weeks straight with 0 targets even though he was starting and getting thrown to, resuting in many INTs. He made Russell Wilson look like garbage in college. Made Fitz look like a joke. Making EJ a bust.

After readin this thread this is my favorite. This guy needs to be pushed down the depth chart or cut. Just cut hogan while your at it.

There's no comparison with him and Goodwin IMO. I really like Goodwin. Watching those corners squirm worrying about him blowing by them is great. At least he's fun to watch.

Not snipping and clipping your post like that FireChan did. :nana:

But, I think many of us are really here. I am more or less on the same page as you, except I really did not see a college highlight reel that stood out. Of course, he played at NCSU and not Texas, so there is that. If your glass of TJG was 50% it'd be half empty. If my glass of TJG was 50% it'd be half full.

I have seen enough of Goodwin and Graham to know how I want both of them used. I have seen Woods and Easley, too. I want to see Woods on the outside and get him a large "true ideal #1 type WR" to play along side. I want 3 WR sets every snap with mixes of RB's, TE's and different players. I want SJ13 in the slot. I want Goodwin in as the 4th target option alongside a TE or RB down field. I want Graham used as the first guy off the bench should WR's 1, 2, 3 go down. I am not ready to cut him because we have enough needs to fill and I am 50% full.

Could he turn an edge this year? Could he break out, 1,000 yards and 15 TD's? Hell no. Not on this team with this talent. Not likely on any team with any talent. But he could become a 600 yard receiver, IMO. Could. He's more likely the 350-450 yard 3rd/4th WR. Goodwin is the package WR and best used in portions and circumstances. He would not be effective on the field for 90% of the snaps because what is he going to do? Just run straight really fast? We run. A lot. We don't have the time to get the long passes and despite everyone playing Madden, most plays are not designed to have a legit option past 10-12 yards down field.

Believe it or not, though, we're on the same page.

And to the rest of the recent posts "TJ Graham sucks, cut him" crowd...yeah, uhh, thanks? Whats your point? Give your reasoning and up the post count. It's not worth just lighting a flame and walking away. It won't burn here.

Boyst taking shots at me.

But this is basically how I think. Like it or not, the jury is still out on Goodwin and even Graham. There are enough concerns with our WR corp. Cutting Graham adds nothing to the team. At worst, he's a depth guy who can beat CB's on streaks. If a couple WR's got hurt, I'd rather have Graham out there over Hogan/Barden/Easley.

Still, no one has told me why Graham started last year. I wish someone could. As a majority of posters think Graham sucks and is worse than Goodwin, I want them to give me a reason why he started.

Edited by FireChan

Boyst taking shots at me.

But this is basically how I think. Like it or not, the jury is still out on Goodwin and even Graham. There are enough concerns with our WR corp. Cutting Graham adds nothing to the team. At worst, he's a depth guy who can beat CB's on streaks. If a couple WR's got hurt, I'd rather have Graham out there over Hogan/Barden/Easley.

Still, no one has told me why Graham started last year. I wish someone could. As a majority of posters think Graham sucks and is worse than Goodwin, I want them to give me a reason why he started.

A good question.. Gotta blame management I guess for not having someone better. Maybe they thought Ike Hilliard failed at coaching him up. Goodwin was only a rookie who's best used situationally.

Theres a reason why it's believed far and wide that a WR is needed in the draft or free agency and it's not Stevie Johnson. Graham should be at best a back up who knows the system. Or cutting him works for me after we get a guy.