Hackett is Dead Man Walking

patfitz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Hackett needs to go if he doesn't figure out how to use Spiller and Jackson more effectively.

Tim-

You're kidding right? Those two were the strengths of the offense last year. Fred was an absolute beast and C.J. had a solid season while playing hurt most of the season. Our running game is the least of our worries.

This is the problem.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Teams that can score in the red zone usually can run the ball effectively close to the goal line. I don't have the stats but I don't believe the Bills can claim an effective running game down low. Couple that with ineffective QB play in the red zone and you end up not scoring enough points.

My view is that Freddie and CJ are solid NFL running backs but their Oline can't dominate the line and create seams when the team is in scoring position.

Again, I don't have the stats but I do recall beautiful 20-30 yard runs by both RBs on multiple occassions, the only problem was that they tended to be in the middle of the field. These runs would pad production numbers but they didn't result in TDs.

Bottom line, the Bills need better Oline play and that means upgrading personnel by the draft and free agency.

This is the problem.

http://www.teamranki...one-scoring-pct

Teams that can score in the red zone usually can run the ball effectively close to the goal line. I don't have the stats but I don't believe the Bills can claim an effective running game down low. Couple that with ineffective QB play in the red zone and you end up not scoring enough points.

My view is that Freddie and CJ are solid NFL running backs but their Oline can't dominate the line and create seams when the team is in scoring position.

Again, I don't have the stats but I do recall beautiful 20-30 yard runs by both RBs on multiple occassions, the only problem was that they tended to be in the middle of the field. These runs would pad production numbers but they didn't result in TDs.

Bottom line, the Bills need better Oline play and that means upgrading personnel by the draft and free agency.

I posted most of the stats in this thread...as for long runs skewing the numbers, Buffalo had 11 of 20+ yards in 2013...tied for 10th with 5 other teams.

I also compared the teams that had the highest YPC with the teams that had the highest red zone scoring percentage (TDs only) and vice versa...there's virtually no correlation between Power Success and red zone TD efficiency.

I posted most of the stats in this thread...as for long runs skewing the numbers, Buffalo had 11 of 20+ yards in 2013...tied for 10th with 5 other teams.

I also compared the teams that had the highest YPC with the teams that had the highest red zone scoring percentage (TDs only) and vice versa...there's virtually no correlation between Power Success and red zone TD efficiency.

Tied for tenth seems about right.

So according to the stats you pulled a teams ability to run in the end zone had no bearing on their TD efficiency? That doesn't jive with common sense. Perhaps the YPC are so bunched as there are less yards needed to be gained or maybe its something else I am missing.

I will have to think about that one. Cheers.

Edited by agardin

Tied for tenth seems about right.

So according to the stats you pulled a teams ability to run in the end zone had no bearing on their TD efficiency? That doesn't jive with common sense. Perhaps the YPC are so bunched as there are less yards needed to be gained or maybe its something else I am missing.

I will have to think about that one. Cheers.

Sure, there are some variables that the numbers cannot express.

What I do believe is that the issue in the red zone is more closely related to the lack of a big target than anything else, as that's one thing the top red zone scoring teams seem to all have in common

Sure, there are some variables that the numbers cannot express.

What I do believe is that the issue in the red zone is more closely related to the lack of a big target than anything else, as that's one thing the top red zone scoring teams seem to all have in common

I am with you on the big target idea. That being said, Chandler is plenty big but I guess he's not dynamic enough off the line down low or something because his 2 TDs arent scaring anyone.

Receivers constantly running lazy routes should have been corrected.

Receivers either misreading the coverage, or executing poorly designed routes, should have been corrected.

The complexity of an NFL passing game relies on proper planning, preperation, timing, and execution. Our WRs ranked 32nd in the league in catching balls thrown at them - 49.3%.

Do they all have stone hands? No. They're easily defended.

It wasn't all on our QBs.

It wasn't all on Hilliard, either - but he took the fall.

Receivers constantly running lazy routes should have been corrected.

Receivers either misreading the coverage, or executing poorly designed routes, should have been corrected.

The complexity of an NFL passing game relies on proper planning, preperation, timing, and execution. Our WRs ranked 32nd in the league in catching balls thrown at them - 49.3%.

Do they all have stone hands? No. They're easily defended.

It wasn't all on our QBs.

It wasn't all on Hilliard, either - but he took the fall.

Yes it is. Hackett can't run the offense, be QB coach, AND teach WRs techniques.

I like the guy. He did a better job on the side line. He has a great additude and relates to his guys well. He needs a full squad before you can rate him. Give him a better O line and he will improve on the learning curve. Maroneeee gave him too much on his plate LY.

That was 2 years and one ACL tear ago...he clearly wasn't the same guy out there last year

He led the team in catches. How can you even say that? Maybe he had a slow start, but I doubt Chandler and CJ and Stevie all regressed. I think we all know who the real problem was.