Mel Kiper 2013 draft re-grade

chef4131

the fact that the jets had EJ as a first rounder makes me feel soooo much better

You're wildly missing the point here...there's categorically zero basis for saying that EJ wasn't a first-round player on any team's board.

He was, and on more than just Buffalo's. The Jets are just one example.

Because you know what all the other teams draft board looked like.

The only draft board that was published post-draft was Dallas', on which EJ was a 4th round grade.

Of course, they're the same team that took Travis Frederick at 31st overall when he was widely graded as a 3rd-round guy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wildly missing the point here...there's categorically zero basis for saying that EJ wasn't a first-round player on any team's board.

He was, and on more than just Buffalo's. The Jets are just one example.

The only draft board that was published post-draft was Dallas', on which EJ was a 4th round grade.

Of course, they're the same team that took Travis Frederick at 31st overall when he was widely graded as a 3rd-round guy.

I'm just pointing out that it's not surprising another bumbling franchise accompanied the bumbling Bills in their assessment of Manuel. And the article states that even while the Jets had a first round grade on Manuel, they wouldn't have been comfortable taking him at pick 16 Edited by FluffHead

'..an inconstant season..'? I quit reading right there.

I THINK you should address your 'Look At Me Post's' with LAMP in the title block.

That's what happens when you use spell check rather than an actual editor!!! :doh:

Overall, pretty lame article. A "what if" for the draft that doesn't even cover all draft picks. I've seen many posts on TSW that were written much better than that was....in fact, that whole article just may have been taken from TSW posts. :bag:

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection

The reality is that the Bills overdrafted EJ Manuel. This was apparent then and it's apparent now. No team had EJ graded as a first-rounder and the Bills could (and should) have traded back again and continued to accumulate picks. Nothing wrong with zeroing in on EJ -- but it was a (yet another) misuse of a premium draft pick.

I don't think so. Apparent in what way? You know he will never be a top player? You know how every other team rated E.J.? Please tell us; how did Denver rate him? Chicago? Jacksonville?

I think drafting E.J. in the first was exactly the right thing to do. First, I think he can develope into a first rate QB. Second, I think a new Head Coach, needing a QB, needs to draft one early. There was talk that Buffalo should wait till next year when the QB class will be better but I'm not sure that is the case with this year's class. Third, drafting E.J. in the first insures that another team won't beat Buffalo to him and gives Marrone a few years of grace time to develop him before the wolves show up..

I'm just pointing out that it's not surprising another bumbling franchise accompanied the bumbling Bills in their assessment of Manuel. And the article states that even while the Jets had a first round grade on Manuel, they wouldn't have been comfortable taking him at pick 16

Not sure why you have an axe to grind regarding EJ--all I'm telling you is that the pick wasn't nearly the reach that some folks (including yourself apparently) are making it out to be.

The guy played like a rookie: great moments, bad moments, and everything in between. He's got issues that are correctable, and he's more than willing to work on them. Not sure why their assessment of EJ was "bumbling", and I'm anxious to hear your support for that assertion.

Not sure why you have an axe to grind regarding EJ--all I'm telling you is that the pick wasn't nearly the reach that some folks (including yourself apparently) are making it out to be.

The guy played like a rookie: great moments, bad moments, and everything in between. He's got issues that are correctable, and he's more than willing to work on them. Not sure why their assessment of EJ was "bumbling", and I'm anxious to hear your support for that assertion.

I'm not an EJ fan because I saw a ton of him in college and he was very underwhelming. He never looked like a first round NFL QB in college. When the Bills picked him I hoped I was wrong but so far (granted early) I see nothing to ease my concerns. (I'd like to make a new paragraph here but this thing won't let me). Anyway, when the Bills picked Manuel it wreaked of them thinking they were smarter than the rest of the league, which has gotten them in trouble too many times in past drafts (maybin, losman, mccargo, whitner, etc). In most of those cases their evaluations were much different than the perceived rest of the league. The Jets have made similar errors. It wasn't shocking that these two had similar evaluations on Manuel is all I'm saying.

Yes that should say inconsistent in the article. Mistakes happen.

I believe the Bills did the correct thing drafting EJ in the first round because we needed to at least try and find a guy to be a franchise qb. But I do believe he may have been avaliable in the 3rd round.

I'm not an EJ fan because I saw a ton of him in college and he was very underwhelming. He never looked like a first round NFL QB in college. When the Bills picked him I hoped I was wrong but so far (granted early) I see nothing to ease my concerns. (I'd like to make a new paragraph here but this thing won't let me). Anyway, when the Bills picked Manuel it wreaked of them thinking they were smarter than the rest of the league, which has gotten them in trouble too many times in past drafts (maybin, losman, mccargo, whitner, etc). In most of those cases their evaluations were much different than the perceived rest of the league. The Jets have made similar errors. It wasn't shocking that these two had similar evaluations on Manuel is all I'm saying.

I can't agree with that at all. To me, it smacked of a team that knew it needed to take a QB, and--after already sacrificing premium draft position once by trading down--wasn't going to further risk that they wouldn't be able to pick the one QB they liked better than any other in the draft.

I also think it's a bit incongruous to pin the drafts of yesteryear on the current regime when the personnel department is vastly different.

This is not accurate, and I'm not just referring to Buffalo.

EDIT:

Link

LOL, that "source" was employed at One Bills Drive.

Even still, the Bills had offer from the 49ers to move back from 16 and pick up an extra pick. No axe to grind with EJ -- he deserves a shot -- but the team's continued failure to maximize the value of its premium draft picks is the reason why we're continuing to talk about an NFL record playoff drought.

I also think it's a bit incongruous to pin the drafts of yesteryear on the current regime when the personnel department is vastly different.

Doug Whaley was in charge of college scouting when the Bills had TJ Graham rated higher on their board than Russell Wilson. Buddy had final say, but to imply that Whaley was not instrumental in the past few drafts is a bit (to use your word) incongruous.

Even still, the Bills had offer from the 49ers to move back from 16 and pick up an extra pick. No axe to grind with EJ -- he deserves a shot -- but the team's continued failure to maximize the value of its premium draft picks is the reason why we're continuing to talk about an NFL record playoff drought.

Doug Whaley was in charge of college scouting when the Bills had TJ Graham rated higher on their board than Russell Wilson. Buddy had final say, but to imply that Whaley was not instrumental in the past few drafts is a bit (to use your word) incongruous.

I hadn't seen that, although I can't blame them for not moving back a second time...they obviously liked EJ better than anyone else, and there's plenty of reason to suspect that another team (i.e. Philly or the Jets for example) could and may have beat them to EJ.

Instrumental? Yes. Final authority? No.

I have no inkling as to who Whaley liked in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, so I can't comment. The Wilson thing grates on me though...literally every team in the league passed on the kid, most of them did so twice. If Whaley (or Nix or anyone else for that matter) had another player rated higher than Wilson, well, he wasn't the only one.

I mean, the Vikings took a CB nobody heard of before the combine, the Jags took a punter, the Redskins a guard that hasn't started a game yet, the Texans a 4th string WR, etc.

Sure, I wish Whaley would've pounded the table for Wilson; I also understand that a lot of personnel guys got that one wrong.

Whaley was instrumental in the drafts, based on his position. You won't find a single GM or personnel guy in the league who doesn't have a pick they'd like to have back or change. But as director of college scouting. he does not make the final call. And does not finalize the draft board either.