Passing yards minus Y.A.C

I was watching NFL Network today and they were comparing the 49ers passing stats with and without Crabtree in the lineup. One of the stats they pointed out is that the 9ers average 1 more yard per attempt with Crabtree on the field. The analyst then said that the 9ers go down field more with Crabtree on the field. I don't see how that is a fair assessment of YPA if YAC are factored into that. The games crabtree didn't play they may have averaged 1 more YAC per attempt, so how does that show they go downfield with him in the lineup. I would love to see the NFL add a stat for Passing Yards without YAC. It would give a better judgement of how offenses are run. It would be nice to compare YAC to yards without it. It would make for better statistical analysis.

Edited by XXL Franchize

I was watching NFL Network today and they were comparing the 49ers passing stats with and without Crabtree in the lineup. One of the stats they pointed out is that the 9ers average 1 more yard per attempt with Crabtree on the field. The analyst then said that the 9ers go down field more with Crabtree on the field. I don't see how that is a fair assessment of YPA if YAC are factored into that. The games crabtree didn't play they may have averaged 1 more YAC per attempt, so how does that show they go downfield with him in the lineup. I would love to see the NFL add a stat for Passing Yards without YAC. It would give a better judgement of how offenses are run. It would be nice to compare YAC to yards without it. It would make for better statistical analysis.

This stat would also go a long way towards understanding college QB's as well.

Great point. I did this last year when figuring out Brady's YPA to Welker and how far he actually threw the ball. It was something like 4 yards and Welker would just pick up a bunch of yards after the catch.

It's also important to get the ball to your playmakers in space and throw catchable footballs so they can run after the catch.

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2013/

Kind of crazy when you look at the data...

When you sort by percentage of passing yards that are air yards, you see Manning, Brady, Brees, Dalton, Rivers, Foles, Newton, Rodgers, Luck...not a single one ranked above 26th. For whatever it's worth, EJ ranks 24th.

I guess the overall stat doesn't tell us much since the key component is knowing when to throw the short pass and when to air it out.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2013/

When you sort by percentage of passing yards that are air yards, you see Manning, Brady, Brees, Dalton, Rivers, Foles, Newton, Rodgers, Luck...not a single one ranked above 26th. For whatever it's worth, EJ ranks 24th.

I guess the overall stat doesn't tell us much since the key component is knowing when to throw the short pass and when to air it out.

I wish there were a way to remove any bombs from the list. I am more curious to know for throws that are under 30 yards, what are the ypc without yac.

I think some of these guys-- like EJ-- have higher ypc without yac because they throw a bomb or two interspersed with a lot of short passes.

http://www.sportingc...air-yards/2013/

It's called "working the defense" and all the great QBs have that in common.

GO BILLS!!!