Hot for Teacher: Williamsville edition

Fair enough...

Yet, I am paid fairly IMO even without raises/COLA's over the last 1/2 decade, but I also aid in seeing that billions of dollars is moved through the economy, creating wealth. Sure teachers can probably say the same, if not more, in educating the youth of our nation.... BUT, a middle school art teacher cranking in almost a 100 grand? Huh? I am all for promoting the arts, but the arts aren't paying the bills. The numbers aren't jiving anymore. In an industrial based society, we had the luxury of throwing the coin @ the arts, not so much now. Again, I understand the importance of educating our youth... Then ontop of it, this lady is allegedly screwing (physically) her youth... Oh, my... Houston, we have so many problems, I don't know where to begin!

To simply "pay for the degree" is silly. I am not speaking out of jealousy either, I have a 4 year degree in a field where nobody else does... My wife has two masters and heads a public library with a multi-million dollar budget and 50 people... Yet, makes substantially less. While other village big wigs do subtanially less in the community and make double because they are older. IMO, it is the previous generation that is taking the lion's share and we as a society need to renege on what was offered to that generation. Sorry to some of the teachers that get caught in the crossfire. Speaking of my wife and my generation (and maybe yours too) that are making so much less, while doing so much more... Something has to give. Again, it isn't bittnerness, or jealousy, it is a common sense numbers game. It is incredible when you look @ the numbers some are taking home... And then they are still effing up (like this lady). My generation is surely the one that will pay in so many ways!

Sorry for ranting... I will let it go before this gets out of hand... Again, sorry mods.

I think it's a good conversation and I also think you make some great points. I think $92K is steep. Very steep. I've never thought of the notion of paying grade school teachers differently based on their subject.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers certainly find the time to dominate my facebook feed with their self-pity. Its a constant stream of woe about how educators get no credit and in a perfect world they would be paid more than athletes or movie stars. Top 10 reasons why teacher is the hardest job ever.

I do enjoy hearing about how I lack perspective from people who never left the warm waters of academia.

I know it must seem that world is freezing to an end... But I agree w/both of you guys (4mer). Such a said story. It is time we start separating the wheat from the chaff.

I think it's a good conversation and I also think you make some great points. I think $92K is steep. Very steep. I've never thought of the notion of paying grade school teachers differently based on their subject.

True, so true. We are @ a crossroads. Please don't take my comments as being nasty. The last thing I want to do is divide people. Some sanity has to be restored.

As a parent of a student in a Williamsville district high school and former student at Casey Middle where Mrs. Sleap taught, I say; You get what you pay for. The quality of education in WCSD is top notch (Consistently top 2 or 3 district in WNY) and paying high brings in quality instruction. My son received over 50% scholarship offers at St. Joe's (where I went) and Canisius and we (really he) chose Williamsville East. He is in an engineering program (Project Lead the Way) is in honors/AP classes in all his core subjects and still have over a 95% average. The teachers are engaged and involved and have him loving school. Even their guidance office is impressive as hell.

So, if someone thinks any $92K is too much for a teacher in a district pumping out high quality students left and right, then you have your priorities mixed up.

I want to add something to this... WCSD has one of the most impressive arts and music programs ANYWHERE. I can't give you numbers, but I have seen numerous examples of students being accepted at very prestigious arts and music colleges throughout the country.

The quality of teachers is not just in math and the sciences, its across the board.

Edited by theesir

Back to the original question, with that much coin she could get some work done on her, so I'd say yes.

And furthermore ... if she was satisfied with a 13-year-old, she might be impressed with a guy of my ... stature ...

The teachers are engaged and involved and have him loving school. Even their guidance office is impressive as hell.

Be careful the words you choose w/this crew... I can see this getting eaten up alive. ;-)

Anyway, I don't think my priorities are mixed up. I beg to differ. It is not now thats the problem, it is later. Maybe it is working out for your son and others in Williamsville, BUT how many will stay in WNY? Maybe even agree to take much less to stay there. So much less, that they have to struggle to support a top heavy system?

Thanks NY for educating kids that will ebd up in North Carolina.

That's a given based on the story...

Boy PJ, you are quick to the draw... Dang!

No one ever thinks they make enough money. The more you make the more you want.

Sage words mead! Yet, alot think want to be a pensioner that retires to Bermuda on a yacht. That is what they are marketing.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Be careful the words you choose w/this crew... I can see this getting eaten up alive. ;-)

Anyway, I don't think my priorities are mixed up. I beg to differ. It is not now thats the problem, it is later. Maybe it is working out for your son and others in Williamsville, BUT how many will stay in WNY? Maybe even agree to take much less to stay there. So much less, that they have to struggle to support a top heavy system?

Thanks NY for educating kids that will ebd up in North Carolina.

The broader problems of WNY go without saying, but how unreasonable is it for a 25 year professional to be making $92k? over a 25 year teaching career, for someone who starts at out at 45K, that's a little less than a 3% raise per year. Hardly unreasonable.

I'm more outraged about some county office worker making that same amount with tons of ridiculous overtime and getting to retire on a state paid pension after 20 years.

The broader problems of WNY go without saying, but how unreasonable is it for a 25 year professional to be making $92k? over a 25 year teaching career, for someone who starts at out at 45K, that's a little less than a 3% raise per year. Hardly unreasonable.

I'm more outraged about some county office worker making that same amount with tons of ridiculous overtime and getting to retire on a state paid pension after 20 years.

Because it is not sustainable for the masses of teachers. I am equally outraged @ the county office worker.

Again, as a fed, DoD wage grade (not GS, but hourly) employee, I haven't seen a raise in 5 years and this month will make it 6. That is because my wage is determined by local industry (where my home district is, which is the Quad Cities, believe it or not!)... And rightly so! That's fair, I got no problem w/that.

Why not do the same for teachers? Why must 3% be a "given." Simply not sustainable.

Boy am I sounding conservative! Somebody slap me! ;-P

EDIT: They are already changing the game for my generation... I can't leave after 20 years... I got 23 in right now... I will be worked till I am dead!

Because it is not sustainable for the masses of teachers. I am equally outraged @ the county office worker.

Again, as a fed...

Gaa! I would LOVE to engage this conversation further but have to go do WORK!!! :thumbdown:

I understand your point and it is not wrong. I'm just really proud of our great district.

Have a great day!

Gaa! I would LOVE to engage this conversation further but have to go do WORK!!! :thumbdown:

I understand your point and it is not wrong. I'm just really proud of our great district.

Have a great day!

We are the anti-feds... Really, old-school beyond belief!

I am working midnights, home now... I can never sleep that much. ;-)

+1... and works 180 days a year, 35 hours a week... What a racket.

My son is currently home from university for what will be almost a month by the time he goes back. Greatest gig of all being a teacher.

My son is currently home from university for what will be almost a month by the time he goes back. Greatest gig of all being a teacher.

I always wonder why if jobs like teaching and working for the government are such great jobs (high pay and benefits without having to do much work), then why don't the people who complain about them apply for them or encourage their kids to get the credentials to be eligible.

Wow...

I think teachers should get paid but a middle school art?? That much?

No wonder taxes are so high in Williamsville.

I'd like to take this time to recognize the Queensbury Spartans as the NYS Class A High School football champions.

Contracted for what 190 days with training? Maybe? Minus at LEAST 5 or 6 personal/sick days. I understand the dedicated portion put in work at home and after school. They genuinely care and that's necessary and commendable. Many of us take work home and our business decisions directly affect the well being of others, including children.

New York has the third highest average teacher pay in the country I might add, right around $66,000.

Also to answer the question as to the quality of my school district. I'm outside of Binghamton and my district was and still is top 100 public in NYS. 94th currently according to US News, 803rd Nationally out of 21,035. Ivy league schools recruits here regularly and we even employ teachers with that quality of education. So I'd say I have some idea as to how a quality school district runs (still very dysfunctionally).

The facts remain however, that the days and hours you're contracted for are not long compared to other professions that make comparable money, not to mention many states don't even require a graduate degree to teach K-12. NY obviously is not one of those... Though many (probably most) are hired without a M.A. and have 5 years on the tax payer dime to complete it. Cry me a river if my private sector blinders don't allow me to see how underpaid teachers are...

I always wonder why if jobs like teaching and working for the government are such great jobs (high pay and benefits without having to do much work), then why don't the people who complain about them apply for them or encourage their kids to get the credentials to be eligible.

There would be nobody to foot the bill... they produce nothing profitable. That's what the private sector is for...

Edited by SmokinES3

I do not engage in the whole "whoa is me" bs that teachers do. This is just an excuse. To suggest that teachers are the only professionals who "work 24/7/365" is also very shortsighted. I'm suggesting that teachers, especially those of younger grades, deserve every penny that they earn and more. And yes, this include that 92k/year art hag. It may be cliche, but we take pride in our role of building the next generation. At least I do! I teach special education, I am proud of my work, but I do not want to be put on a pedestal. I just do my job and expect to be compensated. Teachers ARE getting royally screwed in North Carolina though. My wife (also a teacher) and I have not had a raise or even a pay increase based on accrued years of service since 2007. Also, tenure has been stripped as of this current legislative session which impacts my wife but not me. I'm not complaining. I still enjoy my job and live a healthy lifestyle. I'm suggesting that we deserve positive recognition by those not in academia. And to the original topic, hell no!

Screw the money. I'd say there are about 20 female teachers in my son's building, which only holds two grades ... and a good 12-15 are single and smoking hot. Man, did I choose the wrong gig.