Welcome to the Ralph - Slam Dunk Competition

MClem06

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but my biggest issue here is that many times they're actually making physical contact with complete strangers. I mean, maybe I'm the world's youngest curmudgeon or worrywart. I'm going out on a huge silly limb here, but what if one of these people recently had surgery or something? I know it's a dumb concern, but even something as silly as that thought would give me pause about doing something like that. Just seems reckless. Then again, I did plenty of dumb things in my 20s too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Once you violate a person's personal space and make physical contact, it crosses a line. The fact that it was an edited videotape which showed only what the videomaker wanted us to see doesn't mean that the immature practice didn't escalate into some bad feelings. They just didn't show us those instances.

And as Jeff pointed out upthread, the videomakers chose easy marks to dunk on.

Agree on the physical contact crossing the line.

Look, these *ssheads will continue this until they "posterize" the wrong guy and he punches one of them in the throat. Just a matter of time...

Edited by Rivermont Mike

most fun things in life do :thumbsup:

Let's face it..........drinking alcohol causes a whole lot more problems than someone getting posterized by a nerf dunker........yet I am willing to suggest that most of the people who are upset about this have been inebriated.

We are human beings.......if a little touch bothers you that much then you should probably stay away from NFL stadiums, bars, subways, Black Friday etc..

Let's face it..........drinking alcohol causes a whole lot more problems than someone getting posterized by a nerf dunker........yet I am willing to suggest that most of the people who are upset about this have been inebriated.

We are human beings.......if a little touch bothers you that much then you should probably stay away from NFL stadiums, bars, subways, Black Friday etc..

Interesting....so now the alcohol is being blamed for this. That doesn't make it "OK." I would guess that most drunks, statistically speaking, don't willfully involve strangers in their drunken physical antics. And being slightly bumped in a bar, or on the train/subway, or in a crowded shopping setting, etc. is WAY different than this. I think you know that.

Also, is everyone sure that every one of the dunking group is/was indeed "drunk?" Maybe some of them are just young punks who, as stated earlier, have no respect for other people, and just get a cheap thrill & some attention out of doing it...."Look at me, I'm Cool!" I mean young people have never been known to do anything just to get attention, right? *Rolls Eyes* Or maybe they're just doing it for the express purpose of taping it and putting it out on the net?

Edited by John in Jax

Interesting....so now the alcohol is being blamed for this. That doesn't make it "OK." I would guess that most drunks, statistically speaking, don't willfully involve strangers in their drunken physical antics. And being slightly bumped in a bar, or on the train/subway, or in a crowded shopping setting, etc. is WAY different than this. I think you know that.

Also, is everyone sure that every one of the dunking group is/was indeed "drunk?" Maybe some of them are just young punks who, as stated earlier, have no respect for other people, and just get a cheap thrill & some attention out of doing it...."Look at me, I'm Cool!" I mean young people have never been known to do anything just to get attention, right? *Rolls Eyes* Or maybe they're just doing it for the express purpose of taping it and putting it out on the net?

I'm just saying that people have a tendency to draw imaginary lines wrt wrong and right. Perhaps you don't drink or hunt or have ever driven above the speed limit or anything enjoyable that creates an opportunity for another person to be hurt or offended. More power to you. :thumbsup:

I'm just saying that people have a tendency to draw imaginary lines wrt wrong and right. Perhaps you don't drink or hunt or have ever driven above the speed limit or anything enjoyable that creates an opportunity for another person to be hurt or offended. More power to you. :thumbsup:

I'd imagine unwanted physical contact is a pretty easy one for most to agree with as inappropriate, even if it's not the end of the world.

And yet.....harmless.

Those other things.....dangerous.

driving while tipsy. Fine until its not.

Shooting bottle rockets at friends. Fine until its not

When it puts others safety in jeopardy I have a pretty big problem with it. Otherwise. If you want to drive drunk on your own land jumping ramps to slam a basketball down a hoop then light fireworks in your trunk do it.

But come on. If you can't see how this could be extremely dangerous then you're just silly. It is bullying, too.

When it puts others safety in jeopardy I have a pretty big problem with it. Otherwise. If you want to drive drunk on your own land jumping ramps to slam a basketball down a hoop then light fireworks in your trunk do it.

But come on. If you can't see how this could be extremely dangerous then you're just silly. It is bullying, too.

"extremely dangerous"? :lol:

Pretty mild contact from what I saw.

Driving over the speed limit, hunting, alcohol consumption in general........fun things that result in many unwilling participants ending up dead.

What these sad-ass Tosh wanna-bes are doing is confrontational and deliberate. And yeah, if they're doing it in front of a group of their sad-ass buds, maybe it's not bullying but they're relying on strength in numbers.

Your comparison to drinking, driving fast, and hunting is dumb. I may drink too much, but I'm not picking fights or getting in a car and driving. I may drive over the limit, but not on a crowded highway. And when I hunt, I'm following safety guidelines. All these things are inherently dangerous, but I'm using common sense.

These guys are trying to pick a fight. Or...they're too damned stupid to realize they can jump up on someone with a dislocated shoulder or other injury and end up charged with assault. Or...as I said they're going to do it to the wrong guy and get their asses kicked. And, hey, it's all on video. Geniuses.

Get drunk off your ass, yell at other teams' fans all you want, but keep your hands off. Just common sense.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

One other distinction that I'm not sure has been made yet is that there's a difference between having fun and having fun at other people's expense.

"extremely dangerous"? :lol:

Pretty mild contact from what I saw.

Driving over the speed limit, hunting, alcohol consumption in general........fun things that result in many unwilling participants ending up dead.

What you saw. That's the key term. This topic is becoming a dead horse.

I love how you compare hunting to unwilling participants and this is a video in which is the subject. These victims were hunted for being marks. Its easy to see a mark any where you go when you just know something. Not all people are the "alpha" males like society is so hip on saying these days.

Any time you put your hands on another person without prior knowledge of who that person is or how they will react it is extremely dangerous. Case in point, see below. Dude gets a little rough in a crowd and pushes a girl in the process. A dude talks smack to him and he wasn't very big. Turns out smaller dude is a popular MMA fighter, Roger Heurta. You just never know who you're picking on, even if they look like a mark. Beware the wolves in sheeps clothing.

Your generous use of the buzz term "bullying" is exactly what Im referring to.

Oh, come on, how did it feel when you were having your underpants hoisted up on the flag or when you peed your pants and everyone laughed at you. Come on, you've told me about all your time in high school. Why so tough now?

One other distinction that I'm not sure has been made yet is that there's a difference between having fun and having fun at other people's expense.

loosely put, bullying, but i just used that term to make DrD annoyed.

I guess this is another sign that I'm old, but I don't like that one bit.

I was thinking it was an a**-kickin of the "dunker boys" waiting to happen.

It's one thing to pull that joke on friends, teammates, people you know, it's another to pull it on strangers

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but my biggest issue here is that many times they're actually making physical contact with complete strangers. I mean, maybe I'm the world's youngest curmudgeon or worrywart. I'm going out on a huge silly limb here, but what if one of these people recently had surgery or something? I know it's a dumb concern, but even something as silly as that thought would give me pause about doing something like that. Just seems reckless. Then again, I did plenty of dumb things in my 20s too.

I don't think it's a dumb concern, myself. You don't know someone, you don't know if you could be hurting them - people walk pretty normally after arthroscopic surgery but aren't supposed to twist or stress the knee. You also don't know when you might be dunking on someone who spends his weeknights training for cage fights and WANTS YOU TO STAY OUT OF HIS PERSONAL SPACE. So there's a humanitarian and a self-interested motive why it's not the greatest.

That's kinda what I meant by saying "it's an a**-kickin' of the dunker boys waiting to happen.

I love how when someone decides another person is "overreacting" to pointlessly rude behavior, they immediately take their analogies to extremes and predict "end of the world, News at Eleven"

Sorry but as analogies go, this is an Epic Fail. Folks initiating physical contact with strangers without their consent or necessity (as in crowded transit or elevator) is what's analogous to excessive intrusion into our lives and liberties, not "overreacting to harmless fun" that involves laying hands/body parts on people without their permission.