Snow Plow Question

Any plowers (snow that is... :D ) out there? If anybody out there can help we w/a snow plow tech question, it would be much appreciated.

Plowing w/a Western, Ultra-Mount type snow plow on a pick-up. The unit is fairly new, couple years old. It was working fine all day... Out in the cold... Now the blade won't stay up. When you release the joystick, it floats down... You have to hold the joystick up to keep the blade from lowering.

I have it in the garage warming up. Any other things that can be done? Could it be the cold?

Now the blade won't stay up. When you release the joystick, it floats down... You have to hold the joystick up to keep the blade from lowering.

There are plenty of products to help with these situations. You can see them advertised during NFL games. They usually have a dude and a chick in a tub. If your blade/joystick stays up for more than 4 hours, see a doctor.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Your problem is the girly bow tie on the grill of your truck. ;-)

I knew I was gonna get guff for that!

It isn't mine! It is work's... :bag:

It is GM... "Government" Motors. If GSA bought from Ford, they'd be selling out!

:nana:

Anyway... What is the odds that it can be bad, beinng so new? No fluid is leaking out. Sorry crayonz!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Most likely a valve is staying open and not closing fully. It happens a lot in tractors with 3pt lifts as they age. Ford was notorious for this problem. The valve could have debris keeping it open, the valve of lower value and suck, or you guys are just macaroons.

Was it taken off when not used and recently put back on? I would bet that either somewhere the valve is not being open/closed on reset or it was hooked up wrong.

As for remedies you could take it off and put it back on, it might just be that simple. To flush the hydraulic lines in those are not really worth while. To fix the valve, well, that's just not worth it for you and being its a federal or state gov vehicle, get them to fix it. But I'd bet a valve is staying open, though I have no experience at all with snow plows.

Edited by jboyst62

Most likely a valve is staying open and not closing fully. It happens a lot in tractors with 3pt lifts as they age. Ford was notorious for this problem. The valve could have debris keeping it open, the valve of lower value and suck, or you guys are just macaroons.

Was it taken off when not used and recently put back on? I would bet that either somewhere the valve is not being open/closed on reset or it was hooked up wrong.

As for remedies you could take it off and put it back on, it might just be that simple. To flush the hydraulic lines in those are not really worth while. To fix the valve, well, that's just not worth it for you and being its a federal or state gov vehicle, get them to fix it. But I'd bet a valve is staying open, though I have no experience at all with snow plows.

Thanks jboyst! Exactly my thinking. All that checks out. The mechanic will be back in the morning... Got it in the warm garage. I just unhooked it all, all hooked up right. It is a fairly new Western Ultra Mount rig w/two seasons on. The blade (with the Ultra Mount, all plow/lights/etc... come off with blade) has been on the past couple days, worked fine yesterday and I assume, 1st shift had no problem. Just went out to finish the access road and no stay-ee-up-ee!

The side by side pistons are working fine. There are no other user controls. Yet, there seemes to be plastic knurled cap coming out of the main pump... YET, it won't turn are do anything.

Oh well, I will just plow in slow circles or hold the joystick up! :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thanks jboyst! Exactly my thinking. All that checks out. The mechanic will be back in the morning... Got it in the warm garage. I just unhooked it all, all hooked up right. It is a fairly new Western Ultra Mount rig w/two seasons on. The blade (with the Ultra Mount, all plow/lights/etc... come off with blade) has been on the past couple days, worked fine yesterday and I assume, 1st shift had no problem. Just went out to finish the access road and no stay-ee-up-ee!

The side by side pistons are working fine. There are no other user controls. Yet, there seemes to be plastic knurled cap coming out of the main pump... YET, it won't turn are do anything.

Oh well, I will just plow in slow circles or hold the joystick up! :D

A lot of the cheap implements these days and the reasons why TSC can sell many things for farming at 1/3 the price of real equipment is cutting corners. The steel is usually good enough, the paint/powder cuts are less then average and the valves, hydraulics and important pieces blow.

A good auger @ TSC will cost you about $1,500. A light duty real auger at an ag place will cost you at least that. A good real auger will cost you at least $4,500. A top of the line auger will cost you almost $8k.

Just like with electronics, implements are the same. It may be a top brand name and very successful and built with quality but everything will fail at some point.

Good news... Went to move it so I can take the unit off and leave it in the garage... I didn't want to hold it in the up position and burn the pump up... Anyway, it is working... Must have been stuck like you said boyst! It is about 10 degress out.

A lot of the cheap implements these days and the reasons why TSC can sell many things for farming at 1/3 the price of real equipment is cutting corners. The steel is usually good enough, the paint/powder cuts are less then average and the valves, hydraulics and important pieces blow.

A good auger @ TSC will cost you about $1,500. A light duty real auger at an ag place will cost you at least that. A good real auger will cost you at least $4,500. A top of the line auger will cost you almost $8k.

Just like with electronics, implements are the same. It may be a top brand name and very successful and built with quality but everything will fail at some point.

Yep! So true. Sometimes the old stuff is better!

Now I gotta hustle to finish... At least I got the big plow in service... Takes heat off the Deere 3520 and its small blade!

Good news... Went to move it so I can take the unit off and leave it in the garage... I didn't want to hold it in the up position and burn the pump up... Anyway, it is working... Must have been stuck like you said boyst! It is about 10 degress out.

Yep! So true. Sometimes the old stuff is better!

Now I gotta hustle to finish... At least I got the big plow in service... Takes heat off the Deere 3520 and its small blade!

When you leave it stored for long periods and it will be outside or exposed to elements throw some wood blocks under the blade to keep it up about 8" then let the blade go down until it rests. It helps prolong the seals in the valve and avoids wear on the blade.

Glad it's working for ya brother.

Couldn't see if it's one if the new 2014s or not. As it stands, I'm a Ford truck guy. But I'm a huge fan of the 2014 Chevys. The massive screen in the center console and updated interior really changed my mind about them. They actually did a really nice job and they would most likely turn sales around big time if ford wasn't coming out with the new F150 this year. Now I've got to wait to see which one I really want.

post-11267-0-94199800-1388756857_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrags

Glad it's working for ya brother.

Couldn't see if it's one if the new 2014s or not. As it stands, I'm a Ford truck guy. But I'm a huge fan of the 2014 Chevys. The massive screen in the center console and updated interior really changed my mind about them. They actually did a really nice job and they would most likely turn sales around big time if ford wasn't coming out with the new F150 this year. Now I've got to wait to see which one I really want.

Cool! I think it is an 2012. It is a 2500 (crew cab, HD)... Has the Vortec in it... The thing is a beast.

Yet, I never like Ford styling until now... Now Ford blows away the rest IMO, they are doing something right!

BTW... It started acting up after about 1/2 hour in the snow last night... Supervisor won't be happy! But, it is like boyst said... What else is there to do... Got to be a valve issue and staying open... Side by side works great.

Love to! But then there is the whole hazard to navigation thing... IE: they would find it! Unless it is thrown somewhere outside the channel.

True story... When I worked @ Black Rock (early 1990's), the old timer there said he remembered his 40th birthday many years earlier. There were no railing @ the time and he dumped the small lawn tractor and trailer into the lock chamber... Said he "had to jump off and swim to the top." Here, I am surprised that nobody ever dumped into the river in 50 years... Especially the plow or mower when getting close. Yet, this time of the year, a person would be doomed if they dumped the big tractor into this:

post-1877-0-39957000-1388801373_thumb.jpg

It would be a fight for survival just beating the shock of the cold!

Love to! But then there is the whole hazard to navigation thing... IE: they would find it! Unless it is thrown somewhere outside the channel.

True story... When I worked @ Black Rock (early 1990's), the old timer there said he remembered his 40th birthday many years earlier. There were no railing @ the time and he dumped the small lawn tractor and trailer into the lock chamber... Said he "had to jump off and swim to the top." Here, I am surprised that nobody ever dumped into the river in 50 years... Especially the plow or mower when getting close. Yet, this time of the year, a person would be doomed if they dumped the big tractor into this:

post-1877-0-39957000-1388801373_thumb.jpg

It would be a fight for survival just beating the shock of the cold!

So you can show use pictures of the ice, but during the summer when we ask for pictures of the private boats going through the locks, you can't seem to figure out how to do it?

So you can show use pictures of the ice, but during the summer when we ask for pictures of the private boats going through the locks, you can't seem to figure out how to do it?

I am getting better @ the attachements!... By next summer, I should be a pro! But, w/a human element, I gotta be careful! I am fully trained in POSH! That means the Prevention Of Sexual Harassment.

;-) ;-P

Anway... We are fully authorized to take "ice pictures" w/our phone, upload them daily to the official navigation site after being emailed.