What Is Your Confidence Level Of The Staff Drafting Well This Year?

PolishDave

Personally I think that the last draft was an exceptionally good draft for the Buffalo Bills. Even with an unproven quarterback taken early I still agree with their decisions for the most part. I wonder if their ability to draft well was highly influenced by the fact that Marrone and Hackett were coming from the college ranks and had deep knowledge about college players due to that fact. I think that played an important role in this draft being successful and influenced the rest of the drafting staff’s decisions a lot. Now that they are out of college for the year, does this mean that special knowledge is now gone and no longer an advantage? My intuition tells me yes. I hope like hell the Bills draft as well as they did last year. But I am only about 70% confident that they will at this point.

What is your confidence level in the upcoming drafting decisions at this early point?

They are in a tough spot. I count a full 6 teams in front of them that need a QB. If they do not draft a qb in round 1 (and I doubt that they will), I hope that they draft blockers and/or a TE.

Trading down is nice when you are going after non-LT blockers, but it might be tough to do because the QBs will be gone before we select at 9.

I will give Marrone credit for Robey but Whaley and even Nix to a degree get the rest. Marrone may know some of the 5th round type talent due to his background and that could help but I do have confidence in Whaley for the early rounds. Unfortunately Marrone may alienate them by week 3 of the preseason.

Not only was the draft so much different then anything we have seen the previous decade. The Bills also acquired CB Nickell Roby, DT Alan Branch 39 tackles & LBer Jerry Hughes 10 sacks, 42 tackles.

Plus the addition of S Jim Leonhard, QB Thad Lewis, PK Dan Carpenter, back up C Doug Legurski helped a great deal during the year. Signed Eric Woods & Branch to extensions

So yea, I'm very confidant in Doug Whaley as the Bills GM going forward. Just not so confidant in Doug Marrone, and some of his assistant coaches. ST Crossman & OC Hackett

Edited by FeartheLosing

Not only was the draft so much different then anything we have seen the previous decade. The Bills also acquired CB Nickell Roby, DT Alan Branch 39 tackles & LBer Jerry Hughes 10 sacks, 42 tackles.

Plus the addition of S Jim Leonhard, QB Thad Lewis, PK Dan Carpenter, back up C Doug Legurski helped a great deal during the year. Signed Eric Woods & Branch to extensions

So yea, I'm very confidant in Doug Whaley as the Bills GM going forward. Just not so confidant in Doug Marrone, and some of his assistant coaches. ST Crossman & OC Hackett

You forgot Lawson.

I am also very happy and impressed with the moves they made in the veteran market and UDFA market with the exception of Kolb. I think that was a colossal mistake signing him at all. But I don't wish to keep beating that horse as it seems few other people on this board thought Kolb was going to be as bad as I thought. Being that the quarterback position is so essential to determining how your season plays out, I really fault them for not having a better starting QB in place for this season. Forget about having better backups. How about having a good starter to start with? And if they go into next season with EJ as the starter from day 1 (as I fully expect them to do) and EJ doesn't immediately show substantial progress over this year, then I will be extremely disappointed that they didn't find a way to put better talent in the qb position to start the season with. And that fault will rest squarely on the shoulders of Doug Whaley in my opinion.

If that front office can consistently draft as well as they did this last year and continue to make good veteran personnel upgrades, then I fully expect the Bills will return to prominence in the NFL within a few years. It even could be as soon as next year if they could only get that QB thing somehow working.

I can't wait to see what veteran moves they make and also what draft moves they make. Really looking forward to team building this off season.

I am actually a little worried with Whaley in charge. i could be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as much of a leader or forceful voice. I could see him not being as aggressive as necessary (eg, working trades), or even being unduly influenced by Russ and others.

What makes you say this? I don't think his media presence or lack threreof has impact on aggressiveness in working trades, if that is was you are referring to.

i feel pretty confident about the people making the choices. but i am actually fairly excited to see what these choices will be. whaley is completely out from under the shadow of buddy nix now, and coach marrone have had a year to learn about the players they have on the team and which direction they want to go from here. this offseason should be very interesting.