Advanced metrics show virtually no difference between EJ and Thad

Big Turk

We had a debate on EJ and Thad over the holidays. EJ seems better at the over the middle throws and Thad seems better on screen, sideline and deep ball( maybe more willingness to throw the deep ball). EJ throws off back foot and Thad looks to step up into the throw. Both have heart but EJ seems a little more rattled in the pocket than Thad does. If ya could take the best qualities of both of these guys I think ya have the franchise qb. The problem we all agree on is we have no idea and many doubts that EJ has the IT required to be the franchise QB and agree Thad is likely reached his max potential and will be a great backup

Not sure what this means, but advanced metrics show Lewis and Manuel's performances across the board are nearly identical...

Wonder what their combined numbers would be.

It's innarestin' to see that they've been sacked a total of 42 times, and Tuel was sacked twice in his ignominious debut. That's more than all the 43 QBs on that list except, Tannehill, Flacco, and Geno Smith. It's likely that many of those sacks were due to their inexperience, but The Bills are going nowhere until they stabilize and fortify the OL.

BADOLBEELZ - Thanks for making me chuckle. You made me chuckle when you said, " and when you do....bingo....because 30% of the time it works every time.. Guaranteed.

Is that like a Yogism? Yogi Berra, ex Yankee catcher said, "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical." LOL Or like one of his other famous ones. I like to take a 2 hour nap between 1 and 4.

It's an Anchormanism.

I'm not a Thad lover (though I do like him as a longterm No. 2), but keep in mind that his 4 starts have come against expected playoff teams, two of them on the road, and one of them in terrible conditions. He hasn't had the luxury of playing against the Jags, Browns, Steelers, Bucs or Falcons.

Thad is likely reached his max potential and will be a great backup

How can people continue to draw this ridiculous conclusion when talking about a 26 yr old with 5 career starts? How many starting NFL QBs reached their max potential 5 games into their careers?

Edited by TheBrownBear

How can people continue to draw this ridiculous conclusion when talking about a 26 yr old with 5 career starts? How many starting NFL QBs reached their max potential 5 games into their careers?

Note that the poster said "likely". That is key. Given his rather obvious shortcomings (lack of ideal size, slow dropback/release) that led to his going undrafted, and the fact he has been on several teams and through several camps, it's not unreasonable to say that a huge leap in Lewis's performance is unlikely. Past NFL history would bear that out. Given EJM's physical tools, a large leap in his performance from an NFL offseason, film study, reps, and another NFL camp is more likely to happen. Doesn't mean that it will, just that it is more likely. The ridiculous conclusions tend be more focused on Manuel. Such as "he obviously will never be a top NFL QB because I haven't seen him look like one yet" An absolute such as that is ridiculous. It would not be ridiculous to say that Manuel is not likely to become a top 5 NFL QB. The chances of any 1st round pick achieving that status is unlikely.

TSW wisdom.....EJ is a work in progress, too early to judge....but i can tell you that Thad is a career backup.

I have to laugh....as if on cue! It is amazing to me how people cannot see how judging one and giving the other more rope is incredibly hypocritical.

Edited by Garranimal