Can Thad Lewis be our Russell Wilson?

zow2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone think our line is atrocious? They have only had about 3 really bad games this season. Out of the 43 sacks you mention, 8 of them came in the first Jets game and another 7 came in the Tampa Bay game. If you take those 15 sacks out of the equation then they have only given 28 sacks in all the other games. Every offensive line is gonna have a couple bad games a season.

Our O line is garbage. Against any solid Dline they get dominated. This is the most glaring weakness on the team. They do not play w a mean streak and a lot of attitude. I expect new talent for sure at LG and RT next season, and strong competition for Urbik at RG as well. Everything on Offense starts with a solid O line. Once we have that, and add a few more pieces throughout the team, we will be a strong playoff contender.

As for Thad Lewis, he is not overly polished at this point, but he plays w confidence and poise, and brings an energy to the team. I am looking forward to watching what he can do against the Fish and possibly the Pats.

Thad played reasonable well for being a back,up. He's not Russell Wilson, but he could help,us win this week. He'll never start in the NFL, but could serve a sa reasonable back up. We went to overtime with him in the Bengals when they were hot. He's certainly a hell of a lot better than Tuel. He needs to hit the practice squad.

Our running game is decent but it can be better. We were top 5 in rushing after the first 4 games of the season but it has dropped since. What I mostly meant is that I think that is why we are seeing a dip in CJ's production. The way we run it make's it extremely predictable to know what we are doing on a play by play basis. If we mixed it up a little bit I think CJ will be back to how he was last season. I don't think it has to do with our oline it's more predictability

I'm not buying this at all. No offense, but it is easy to sit in an arm chair and criticize play call when things don't work. Have you noticed how effective EJ is with play action? There is a reason for that. The Bills run the ball a lot on 1st down to open up that game up. This is not a flawed game plan. It is flawed execution. The Bills know they have 2 very good backs and it makes a lot of sense to lean on that talent. The problem is the offensive line is not making things easy. Both of these backs should easily have hundreds more yards this season but they often have no hole to run through. I can't tell you how many times the ball carrier has gotten a hand off only to be immediately dropped before they even have a chance to plant their feet to take off. This is a major problem.

Even the pass game suffers. Out of a shotgun formation our line can't hold up long enough for a play to develop. Even when EJ does pass on 1st down, he can't get enough time to do more than dump off a quick screen. His success rate would be better if he just had another second to get rid of it. Look how many times EJ has to throw the ball before a receiver even knows the ball is in the air. It's not just the 43 sacks. There are one heck of a lot of QB hurries too. The OL is weak at the point of attack and that is a understatement.

The coach even knows this. When CJ told the coach he was pissed, Marone told CJ to voice his opinion to the OL. I know we all want to see big passing numbers. Now a days it's the only way to keep up. The thing is, you have to put the offense in a position to succeed. That does not mean that we should pass more on 1st down. It means we need to lean on what talent we have, suck it up and start executing. Passing more on 1st down won't fix the problem when the line fails to block, so running is the smart call. At least get a positive play on 1st down.

We had a great draft this year. Picked up some promising talent. Nothing was added to the OL perhaps because there was hope that Marone, a former OL man himself could whip them into shape. Trouble is, you can't polish a turd.

the need to acquire a veteran backup in the offseason is huge. Both Thad and EJ could turn out to be the next Big Ben or whoever, but we simply have not seen enough of either this year to make that judgement. Both move around and extend plays pretty well, the only problem is that EJ seems to get hurt every time he does so.

I'm not buying this at all. No offense, but it is easy to sit in an arm chair and criticize play call when things don't work. Have you noticed how effective EJ is with play action? There is a reason for that. The Bills run the ball a lot on 1st down to open up that game up. This is not a flawed game plan. It is flawed execution. The Bills know they have 2 very good backs and it makes a lot of sense to lean on that talent. The problem is the offensive line is not making things easy. Both of these backs should easily have hundreds more yards this season but they often have no hole to run through. I can't tell you how many times the ball carrier has gotten a hand off only to be immediately dropped before they even have a chance to plant their feet to take off. This is a major problem.

Even the pass game suffers. Out of a shotgun formation our line can't hold up long enough for a play to develop. Even when EJ does pass on 1st down, he can't get enough time to do more than dump off a quick screen. His success rate would be better if he just had another second to get rid of it. Look how many times EJ has to throw the ball before a receiver even knows the ball is in the air. It's not just the 43 sacks. There are one heck of a lot of QB hurries too. The OL is weak at the point of attack and that is a understatement.

The coach even knows this. When CJ told the coach he was pissed, Marone told CJ to voice his opinion to the OL. I know we all want to see big passing numbers. Now a days it's the only way to keep up. The thing is, you have to put the offense in a position to succeed. That does not mean that we should pass more on 1st down. It means we need to lean on what talent we have, suck it up and start executing. Passing more on 1st down won't fix the problem when the line fails to block, so running is the smart call. At least get a positive play on 1st down.

We had a great draft this year. Picked up some promising talent. Nothing was added to the OL perhaps because there was hope that Marone, a former OL man himself could whip them into shape. Trouble is, you can't polish a turd.

Def need to get a guard in the upcoming draft. Wood, & Glenn are solid, beyond that you have a bunch of backups playing at a higher than expected level.

I agree it can be better.....but we are still good and still top 5.

I also agree that the predictability hinders things somewhat(we potential have a spectacularly good running game). I am fairly confident that the predictability however is directly related to our inexperience at QB.

That is part of it too. There is inexperience in a lot of areas and not just QB.

the need to acquire a veteran backup in the offseason is huge. Both Thad and EJ could turn out to be the next Big Ben or whoever, but we simply have not seen enough of either this year to make that judgement. Both move around and extend plays pretty well, the only problem is that EJ seems to get hurt every time he does so.

Def need to get a guard in the upcoming draft. Wood, & Glenn are solid, beyond that you have a bunch of backups playing at a higher than expected level.

I like Wood and Glenn too. The other 3 OL men are boys in a man's league though.

Aside from the somewhat silly premise, don't sleep on Thad.

He's a 4-year starter at Duke where he holds most of the passing records.

He has great intangibles and has had some good looks in his short career.

In contrast to his last start, he is much more familiar with the offense and his teammates and has had more prep time for this game.

Miami's D is pretty tough but I don't see Thad falling on his face by any means.

He's by nature an extremely competitive guy. I couldn't believe he came back from that shot in the ribs.

My ribs are still sore from that shot.

Aside from the somewhat silly premise, don't sleep on Thad.

He's a 4-year starter at Duke where he holds most of the passing records.

He has great intangibles and has had some good looks in his short career.

In contrast to his last start, he is much more familiar with the offense and his teammates and has had more prep time for this game.

Miami's D is pretty tough but I don't see Thad falling on his face by any means.

He's by nature an extremely competitive guy. I couldn't believe he came back from that shot in the ribs.

My ribs are still sore from that shot.

I was shocked when he came right back in to play. Hope he can hold on to the ball this time around. He was effective. If he can protect the ball better, he could very well be a good QB in this league.