Measuring EJ's progress

vegas55

I have never heard anyone imply that Fitz failed because he wasn't a hard worker. That's a new take.

But the Bills have been trying to mechanically repair QB's like Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards for most of the past 14 years so why should we casually assume that it's simply a matter of "want-to"?

EJ has issues with mechanics but it's more than just that. For instance he looks down at the pass rush and virtually refuses to climb the pocket and his field vision is very poor also. I sit at the 50 yard line at home.......and EJ just flat out doesn't see all of his receivers. It seems teams have found a blind spot from which to blitz him in recent weeks as well.

It's not a given that hard work will eliminate these issues. Plenty of Tarzan's have been turned into Jane's by these types of problems and I sincerely doubt it was just a case of them all being lazy.

With the case of a blind spot, it can be a LITERAL blind spot in your vision. I had better than 20/20 vision in my teens and 20's but I still had a blind spot in my right eye. It's not a black spot....you just don't see an object in a certain part of your peripheral vision unless you are looking toward it. I suspect this has been an issue for quite a few QB's over the years.

Hold up chief. Not calling Fitz lazy. Just saying he was not so obsessed with being the best that he worked at it constantly.

There are just different levels of want to. Stevie joked he might be even better if he worked out.... Andre reed used to practice running routes on hillsides in the offseason.....

If EJ works as tirelessly as Brady or Peyton he'll be a probowler. If he does a more lienart a bust. And anywhere in between who knows.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, you have always seemed like a man who is very in touch with his feminine side so I won't bust on you for your perculiar demand.

All I can tell you is that it's not rocket science. My track record speaks for itself. I am used to the outraged responses to my opinions. I am also used to being right.

To the bolded, how exactly does that reconcile with your "credo" that one should never say something to someone on a message board that you wouldn't say to their face?

You're lucky that John's a good sport.

BTW, you're getting drunk with your own pomposity.

Quoting Gannon saying that EJ was playing slow?

Did Gannon happen to say how slow EJ was playing compared to other rookie quarterbacks?

Did Gannon happen to mention that things were moving too quickly for Gannon in his first 12 seasons?

Did Gannon say that EJ was destined to play slowly for the rest of his career?

Perhaps your self-proclaimed "rightness" (bolded) would be more credible if you exercised some honest context once in awhile.

1) Yes, 2 passing and 1 rushing TD's. Against the league's 27th best defense.

2) A loss is a loss is a loss. Russell Wilson beat NE in his first try for the record, which doesn't factor into this conversation, but it's a technique you've used frequently.

3) Doesn't matter. That was 3 months ago and it's his highest passing yardage game of the year. Makes the argument that the progress isn't there, especially when 5 of his 9 (completed) games featured 200 yards or less passing. If this were 1955, I'd be OK with that, but we're in a pass-happy era, as you undoubtedly know.

You're being hypocritical.

A loss is a loss is a loss?

What then is a win?

Oh that's right. According to you (earlier) in this thread, a win against Jacksonville doesn't really count.

I love how you "objective" Bills fans bottom line losses but denigrate wins.

To the bolded, how exactly does that reconcile with your "credo" that one should never say something to someone on a message board that you wouldn't say to their face?

Did Gannon happen to say how slow EJ was playing compared to other rookie quarterbacks?

Did Gannon happen to mention that things were moving too quickly for Gannon in his first 12 seasons?

Perhaps your self-proclaimed "rightness" (bolded) would be more credible if you exercised some honest context once in awhile.

Badol is the best poster on this board because Badol says he is the best poster on this board. Duh.

Football Experts: Vince Lombardi, Joe Gibbs, Badol, Bill Walsh in some order

If a grown man insisted I must not "say such things" in a scolding, maternal manner at a tailgate I MOST CERTAINLY would say that. As would the others while laughing at the sheer absurdity. That might even get you an apron in the mail at Christmas. :lol:

All of your questions about Gannon are irrelevant. He didn't say those other things because it's not in his best interest to pass judgement or draw direct comparisons to his career results......either way. He was just pointing out what the problem is NOW. Which is his job.

Now, most of us didn't need Gannon to say the game is going too fast for EJ right now........but keep in mind my response was to someone who said that EJ wasn't having trouble with the speed of the game.

If you agree with that poster........then we disagree. Otherwise, you protest too much.

I don't believe EJ is doomed to failure.......I have an opinion based on what I have seen...but it's not that.

I am not going to take a caveat.......most rookie QB's struggle..........and say it is just proof that he is on the path to success. There are people here who are using such a rationale and being bad is not proof that you will be good. :lol:

As for the pomposity..............keep in mind that if you have a negative opinion on this board there is a group of people on here who try to make you into a villiain against an imaginary cause.

I could just sit there while they attack my character or demand I take things back or just generally attempt to shout an argument down :lol: ......or I suppose I could get outraged like some(not naming any names but hint : you)........or I can have some fun and jerk their chains a little bit while still making a well argued point.

If a grown man insisted I must not "say such things" in a scolding, maternal manner at a tailgate I MOST CERTAINLY would say that. As would the others while laughing at the sheer absurdity. That might even get you an apron in the mail at Christmas. :lol:

All of your questions about Gannon are irrelevant. He didn't say those other things because it's not in his best interest to pass judgement or draw direct comparisons to his career results......either way. He was just pointing out what the problem is NOW. Which is his job.

Now, most of us didn't need Gannon to say the game is going too fast for EJ right now........but keep in mind my response was to someone who said that EJ wasn't having trouble with the speed of the game.

If you agree with that poster........then we disagree. Otherwise, you protest too much.

I don't believe EJ is doomed to failure.......I have an opinion based on what I have seen...but it's not that.

I am not going to take a caveat.......most rookie QB's struggle..........and say it is just proof that he is on the path to success. There are people here who are using such a rationale and being bad is not proof that you will be good. :lol:

As for the pomposity..............keep in mind that if you have a negative opinion on this board there is a group of people on here who try to make you into a villiain against an imaginary cause.

I could just sit there while they attack my character or demand I take things back or just generally attempt to shout an argument down :lol: ......or I suppose I could get outraged like some(not naming any names but hint : you)........or I can have some fun and jerk their chains a little bit while still making a well argued point.

Your insult to John was unprovoked by anything he said. I don't have to point out that your obtuse swipe at his manhood does not reflect well on you in spite of your lengthy rationalizations.

And "having fun and jerking chains" is fun for who exactly? The people you're insulting? I wasn't aware of some great camaraderie that you and John share that you could play at this level.

Your self-proclamation that you're "used to being right" and your emoticon-driven jocularity aside, no one is outraged by your antics. You once again give yourself too much credit.

It's not outrage, it's what most people would call annoyance.

:lol:

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Your insult to John was unprovoked by anything he said. I don't have to point out that your obtuse swipe at his manhood does not reflect well on you in spite of your lengthy rationalizations.

And "having fun and jerking chains" is fun for who exactly? The people you're insulting? I wasn't aware of some great camaraderie that you and John share that you could play at this level.

Your self-proclamation that you're "used to being right" and your emoticon-driven jocularity aside, no one is outraged by your antics. You once again give yourself too much credit.

It's not outrage, it's what most people would call annoyance.

:lol:

SJB, these guys know each other for many, many years. If today was a Sunday at RWS and John and Badol were together, they would be having fun.

I am thinking that you are taking this either too seriously and/or too personal. And believe me, I have been there so I am NOT throwing stones. Imo, the best thing about this board is to get different perspectives. We all put way too much into this but we are having fun doing so.

Badol isn't required to anoint Manuel as Dan Marino. It makes no difference in any event. And you are not obligated to think that he sucks. The truth is, your opinions probably meet somewhere in the middle. And btw, here is mine:

The Bills would be absolute idiots not to draft a qb in round 1 or 2 if they think he is a good one. The position has just too much value to pass on under almost any conditions.

I leave you with 2 stories:

1) Many years ago I was hanging out with Badol and his crew before the game. I told him that I thought that Robert Royal, despite his bad hands, was able to get open. He told me that this was incorrect. He said that Royal's hands were SO bad that opposing defenses didn't bother covering him. I would not have thought this was possible at the NFL level. Well, I had great seats and Royal would run into the flat and be ALONE. Nobody covered him and he also dropped passes that day.

2)When Glenn was drafted to play LT, I was skeptical. His tape on youtube looked OK, but he was only a LT for 1 year as I recall and had played mostly OG in college. One poster was all over the fact that Glenn was a great pick. This was you. Now, week after week I praise Glenn and he is doing a great job.

My point? Relax. Both you and Badol know of which you speak, and agreement is not necessary on every topic.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SJB, these guys know each other for many, many years. If today was a Sunday at RWS and John and Badol were together, they would be having fun.

I am thinking that you are taking this either too seriously and/or too personal. And believe me, I have been there so I am NOT throwing stones. Imo, the best thing about this board is to get different perspectives. We all put way too much into this but we are having fun doing so.

I appreciate you moderating Bill.

I paused to consider if Badol knew John and touched on this. Reading from the exchange it wasn't clear to me that they knew each other and that this could be a case of friends kidding around. Thus my defense of John who always seems like a very nice person.

That being the case, I apologize to Badol.

Sorry Badol, and thanks again Bill.