Grading the new front office thus far

Brandon (C-) - A marketing guy in control of all football operations in the NFL. Only in Buffalo. Hired Marrone. Brough in an analytics department. We really don't know how this will bare out. I'm not sold on Marrone and the analtyics department we have yet to see what this is all about.

Nix/Whaley (B+). They receive my highest grade. They brought in a lot of talent. One of the best offseasons in recent years. This is the most talented Bills team since the Wade Phillips era. While they reached for Manual who is an enigma and 3/4 into a season we really have no idea what he is about, they brough in Hughes from a trade, Lawson in FA, Alonzo who can be the ROTY. Woods an Goodwin can be key pieces to the WR core in the future. There was a lot of talent brought in this year that are key contributers for this year and for years to come. Nix and now Whaley, while painful are slowly building sustainable talent.

Doug Marrone (C-). Arguably he is getting less results from working with more talent than previous regimes especially with what Jauron and Gailey had to work with. His in-game management has been pretty bad in terms of challenges and clock management and just overall win-loss results. This is also one of the most penalized Bills teams in our era of futility. I would grade him a d+ but the hiring of Mike Pettine bumps him up a grade.

Overall Front Office Grade: C

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should get an F until we actually get back to the playoffs. We can't even get a game to matter in December. I am upset because my buddy and I in DC head to one away game per year. This year of course its the away game next week at Tampa. After that crushing loss yesterday I have no real desire to go.

For me, as I understand that this owner Ralph Wilson is the sole reason as to why a money man, (and not a football man) like Brandon is the CEO. 12 mill per is a lot of reasons as to why the Bills play a "home game" in Toronto, and this was Brandon's Idea. Lets face it that Brandon has had his hand in things for quite a while now, and probably since Marv Levy left the Bills as GM.

I am just so darn happy Buddy Nix is no longer in control of who gets drafted or who is brought in during free agency. I'm hoping this last draft / free agency was all Whaley, and he doesn't retain Nix's thoughts on the O line, and that guards are a dime a dozen. The difference between this season and the previous three under Nix have been drastic with improvements to LBing, QB, WR corps.

Marrone is still a rookie HC, with a rookie OC and staff, the fact that he hired Mike Pettine shows me he has a world of knowledge and improvement over Nix / Gailey on the defensive side. Unlike Gailey who hired DC George Edwards, and in his first 8 games had a pair of QB's running for their lives, and a team that went 0-8 until Nix could find replacement scrubs off the waiver wire for the O line.

For me the jury is still out on this coaching staff until the end of the season as this new Bills OC keeps calling offensive plays just like Chan Gailey used to do, with the thinking that he has a veteran "elite" QB behind center with enough experience to carry the team each and every game. He doesn't, as he has a very raw rookie at QB who needs a dominate run game controlling the LoS & clock to help win games.

Brandon, is this owners choice to keep the team profitable, so when he passes the team will be a very desirable commodity to the highest bidder. :cry:

GM, if this years draft and free agency period is an indicator of the next two years, :worthy:

Marrone and his OC need to change the way they call plays. Build a dominate run game, and stop depending on the rookie QB to carry the team every game :unsure:

Man love for DC Mike Pettine and what he has shown this season on D vs what his predecessors George Edwards & Dave Wannstedt showed. :worthy:

Everyone should get an F until we actually get back to the playoffs. We can't even get a game to matter in December. I am upset because my buddy and I in DC head to one away game per year. This year of course its the away game next week at Tampa. After that crushing loss yesterday I have no real desire to go.

Hah, I'm in DC and I was looking at TB or JAX earlier this year. Decided against it, as the cost would be too great for what looked like another disappointing team.

we were down to a 4th string qb for stretches this year. to be 4-8 might qualify as an accomplishment.

this year wasnt a success but they havent earned an F

4-8 is 4-8, I'm tired of the excuses.

+ 1

C-

I agree with this, I in terms of grade c+ , I do not see this team as the same old Bills, I see a group given the rest of division , it not unrealistic to expect a playoff team next season. Many of the loses have been tough , maddening , this season, but my expectations were not of a winner this year. I am pleased with management this year, but expect much more of them this off season.

Everyone should get an F until we actually get back to the playoffs. We can't even get a game to matter in December.

Agree completely. If our front office has assembled such a good team, why do we keep losing?

we were down to a 4th string qb for stretches this year. to be 4-8 might qualify as an accomplishment.

this year wasnt a success but they havent earned an F

This excuse is getting old.

> New England lost every decent receiver and tight end on its entire team in the offseason, and picked us apart with Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola in Week 1.

> Cleveland also lost its starting quarterback during its Week 5 game.

> Atlanta has had more injuries than any team in the league.

I don't know how Russ Brandon avoids more scorn.

Ralph Wilson "yes" man

The most robotic sounding businessman I've ever heard

He refers to you fans as INVENTORY! C'mon!

And he ended up signing his head coach buddy that went to his college. Same ol' Bills. Shocking how the only coach that has worked out is Pettine, but I know that actually looking around the league for the best hire is foreign to these Buffalo parts.

Agree completely. If our front office has assembled such a good team, why do we keep losing?

This excuse is getting old.

> New England lost every decent receiver and tight end on its entire team in the offseason, and picked us apart with Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola in Week 1.

> Cleveland also lost its starting quarterback during its Week 5 game.

> Atlanta has had more injuries than any team in the league.

You just named another 4-8 team thats in a position similar to us, a 3-9 team that started as a super bowl favorite, and a team with a hall of fame qb and coach that has been successful.... sooooo.... lets go out on a limb and say starting your 4th string qb, and for a longer stretch your 3rd who you got 2 weeks before the season does have an effect on your record? and thats not an excuse.

additionally, we are a young roster and staff, if you didnt expect growing pains, im not sure what to say.

Edited by NoSaint

Marrone definitely grades out to an F. He's lost out there, I bet he misses preparing for Rutgers and Temple. You get what you pay for in the NFL. Look what Kelly has done for the Eagles, he is an innovative coach. Marrone was said to be this no bs tough guy, that may work in the lower level college football, but not in the NFL.

You just named another 4-8 team thats in a position similar to us, a 3-9 team that started as a super bowl favorite, and a team with a hall of fame qb and coach that has been successful.... sooooo.... lets go out on a limb and say starting your 4th string qb, and for a longer stretch your 3rd who you got 2 weeks before the season does have an effect on your record? and thats not an excuse.

additionally, we are a young roster and staff, if you didnt expect growing pains, im not sure what to say.

N.E. made the playoffs a few years ago without Brady for most of the season. Go figure.

Marrone definitely grades out to an F. He's lost out there, I bet he misses preparing for Rutgers and Temple. You get what you pay for in the NFL. Look what Kelly has done for the Eagles, he is an innovative coach. Marrone was said to be this no bs tough guy, that may work in the lower level college football, but not in the NFL.

Are we going to go around on this again? OK, let's F ing do it again for the 100th time. No top top coaching candidate will look at this franchise until long term ownership and management is in place to commit to and hire them. Any new owner paying over $1Billion (with a B) will clean house top to bottom within 12 months and bring their own people in. You can take that to the bank. Every coaching candidate knows that, so all you will get during the Ralph Wilson "lame duck" period are the Chan Gaileys and Doug Marrones of the world for whom the Bills are their only shot to either get back to or get into the NFL as a head coach.

Assuming other more secure positions are available in larger markets with more player and coach appeal, why take a job in a tiny market with a lame duck owner that you are one heartbeat away from losing? Answer: you wouldn't, unless you are Chan Gailey or Doug Marrone and this is your only shot. Don't get me wrong, I like both guys and I think we lost a lot on the offense with Gailey's departure, but the Shanahans and Kellys of the world call their own shots and will go with the best gig with the least number of variables.

I think we're back to debating whether or not this organization can compete with some of the individuals still in the front office who grew up working for RW and the Detroit contingent. You just don't go 0 for 14 in playoff appearances without something systemically wrong to the franchise deeper than the GM, coaches, or players.

N.E. made the playoffs a few years ago without Brady for most of the season. Go figure.

No, no they didn't.

They haven't made the playoffs without Brady...ever (since he began starting in 2001). They did go 11-5 and miss the playoffs though.

Here's a response that actually makes sense.

Now, here are my grades:

Incomplete...we're 12 games into an entire regime change; grading them is pointless.

Edited by thebandit27

no they didnt.

though they did have a good season, with a roster that went 18-1 the year prior.

are you really arguing that any team should be expected to do much better than we did with tuel and lewis playing as much as they did?

Now, here are my grades:

Incomplete...we're 12 games into an entire regime change; grading them is pointless.

yup - with rookies all over the place it was bound to be a season of highs and lows. weve seen that all year. add in some terribly placed injuries (ie everyone who could throw a pass it seemed)..... how they build off that will be where the grades are ultimately earned.