Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

@ProFootballTalk

Tomlin: I accept the fine and I will no longer discuss this issue http://wp.me/p14QSB-9lPU

@Edwerderespn

NFL officials who failed to flag Mike Tomlin for interference have been downgraded accordingly

I like the idea of waiting until draft selection is determined.

When they took the Patriots late 1st round pick for spygate, the Patriots still had the no. 5 pick in the draft due to a prior trade. The league hopefully learned from that joke of a penalty.

Mike Tomlin wants to pay his $100,000 fine

for ONE PLAY? or is there something not being said?

Bellyache had how many tapes burned and paid $500K.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about preventing a TD, which is exactly what he did.

Is there any reasonable way that one would have expected there not to be a flag thrown in that situation?

Are you suggesting that as part of his plan he bribed the refs beforehand to not throw the flag when he stepped onto the field?

Or atleast taking the chance to, with your season on the line - and thinking it's just a huge fine, instead of finishing 3rd in the division and missing the playoffs for the second straight year.

I've gone through this before in this thread.....

Put yourself in his shoes at the time. What would you honestly expect the results of the play to be?

You'd expect to be heavily penalized with a likely TD given if you actually did impede the returner.....and you would be expecting a heavy fine with potential banning and potential draft picks lost.......additionally your legacy(attaches heavily to ego) would be permanently ruined.

That is why I asked what his motives were......because if the motive was to try and cheat to help his team, he would have known that there was only a minute chance that this would occur(that the refs would somehow miraculously ignore his actions).

Tomlin was hoping to make Jones move over and/or slow down that way someone from the Steelers could catch him. It's one thing if Tomlin was partially on the white part of the sideline, or even half way, but he was right on the edge of the field with part of his foot on the field. NFL coaches know all the rules to the game and are informed of any changes to the rules. Plus, Tomlin is on the competition committee. This was no accident and it was intentional.

See above.

Is there any reasonable way that one would have expected there not to be a flag thrown in that situation?

Are you suggesting that as part of his plan he bribed the refs beforehand to not throw the flag when he stepped onto the field?

I've gone through this before in this thread.....

Put yourself in his shoes at the time. What would you honestly expect the results of the play to be?

You'd expect to be heavily penalized with a likely TD given if you actually did impede the returner.....and you would be expecting a heavy fine with potential banning and potential draft picks lost.......additionally your legacy(attaches heavily to ego) would be permanently ruined.

That is why I asked what his motives were......because if the motive was to try and cheat to help his team, he would have known that there was only a minute chance that this would occur(that the refs would somehow miraculously ignore his actions).

See above.

Two questions for you:

1. Is it against the rules in the NFL for any player or coach to be on the white part of the sidelines during live action on the field?

2. Is it the Head Coaches job to know all the rules of the game?

Two questions for you:

1. Is it against the rules in the NFL for any player or coach to be on the white part of the sidelines during live action on the field?

2. Is it the Head Coaches job to know all the rules of the game?

Yes to both......thus my argument.

Tomlin would have known exactly what his actions would result in(regarding the refs and rules)......regardless to the fact that the expected outcome of penalty and possible TD awarded didn't occur.

To somehow think that, with this knowledge, he purposefully put himself in that position is totally illogical.

Btw......I'm not saying he shouldn't be heavily penalized. He definitely should be heavily penalized.....and the club as well IMO.

Edited by Dibs

Yes to both......thus my argument.

Tomlin would have known exactly what his actions would result in(regarding the refs and rules)......regardless to the fact that the expected outcome of penalty and possible TD awarded didn't occur.

To somehow think that, with this knowledge, he purposefully put himself in that position is totally illogical.

Btw......I'm not saying he shouldn't be heavily penalized. He definitely should be heavily penalized.....and the club as well IMO.

Negative. Tomlin knew the rules and purposely broke them. First off, why would he have his back to the play and be right to the edge of the field of play with his foot partially on the field if it wasn't intentional? I'm not sure if you watched the last Bills/Jets game where Rex Ryan was flagged for being on the white marker. That incident appeared to be unintentional as Ryan was following the play and stepped on the white marker. If Tomlin was following the play and stepped on the white marker or even got half way up the white marker, you could say it was unintentional. But, he had his back to the play and was looking up at the screen following the play, then looked back to see how close Jacoby Jones was to him before moving. It was very blatant.

Just like with Spygate, others have been doing this for a while, but someone finally got caught. IMO, Tomlin should have received a suspension at minimum. I don't feel that the Steelers should have draft picks taken away from them.

Negative. Tomlin knew the rules and purposely broke them.....

So you are saying that he even though he knew that he would draw a penalty for his team(for standing on the field.....and bound to be called as he actually impeded a ref)......and he knew that if he actually impeded a player he would possibly cause a TD to be awarded to the opposition......and that he knew that he would also incur the wrath of the NFL for the action............that he thought it could in some way benefit his team and therefore purposefully made the decision to do it? Really?

It's like saying that a robber sees the police next to and inside the store.....sees the security cameras all around the store.....but decides to attempt to rob the store anyway.

Edited by Dibs

So you are saying that he even though he knew that he would draw a penalty for his team(for standing on the field.....and bound to be called as he actually impeded a ref)......and he knew that if he actually impeded a player he would possibly cause a TD to be awarded to the opposition......and that he knew that he would also incur the wrath of the NFL for the action............that he thought it could in some way benefit his team and therefore purposefully made the decision to do it? Really?

It's like saying that a robber sees the police next to and inside the store.....sees the security cameras all around the store.....but decides to attempt to rob the store anyway.

Plain and simple, Tomlin thought he could get away with it because that penalty is rarely called. You can put whatever twist you want on it, but Tomlin thought he was slick and felt he could get away with it, which he initially did as the ref did not throw a flag.

Did Belichek & the Patriots know that what they were doing in regards to Spygate was illegal? Yes.

Did Payton, Williams & the Saints know a paid bounty program was illegal? Yes.

Did that stop the Patriots & Saints from continuing their illegal activities? No.

Plain and simple, Tomlin thought he could get away with it because that penalty is rarely called......

The coach was on the field of play......not just in the white zone. If intentional, his purpose wasn't to simply be in the white zone for a closer look, it was to be on the edge of the playing field so as to effect the play.......which is totally different to the normal situation you are referring to(which is rarely called).

How can you possibly think that Tomlin thought....."Hmmm....we get away with standing 3 foot into the white zone all the time.....I think I'll stand 6 foot in, on the actual field and disrupt the play. They're bound not to call that either."

The coach was on the field of play......not just in the white zone. If intentional, his purpose wasn't to simply be in the white zone for a closer look, it was to be on the edge of the playing field so as to effect the play.......which is totally different to the normal situation you are referring to(which is rarely called).

How can you possibly think that Tomlin thought....."Hmmm....we get away with standing 3 foot into the white zone all the time.....I think I'll stand 6 foot in, on the actual field and disrupt the play. They're bound not to call that either."

I think I clearly said that already that Tomlin's foot was partially on the field of play. Apparently in your eyes, there was nothing suspicious at all with what Tomlin was doing. Standing on the edge of the field of play with his foot touching the field was not suspicious at all? Standing with his back to the play and watching the play occur on the screen is what all coaches do in your eyes. Looking back at the very last moment then jumping out of the way wasn't suspicious at all, that was just a coincidence? So, since Tomlin knew the rules, there's no way he wouldn't intentionally break them right? I'm sure the Patriots & Saints said the same things. You make a poor public defender!

Look Mrs. Tomlin, you know what your husband did was wrong and he knows it too, so stop playing dumb already and go back to Pittsburgh!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I think I clearly said that already that Tomlin's foot was partially on the field of play. Apparently in your eyes, there was nothing suspicious at all with what Tomlin was doing. Standing on the edge of the field of play with his foot touching the field was not suspicious at all? Standing with his back to the play and watching the play occur on the screen is what all coaches do in your eyes. Looking back at the very last moment then jumping out of the way wasn't suspicious at all, that was just a coincidence? So, since Tomlin knew the rules, there's no way he wouldn't intentionally break them right? I'm sure the Patriots & Saints said the same things. You make a poor public defender!

Look Mrs. Tomlin, you know what your husband did was wrong and he knows it too, so stop playing dumb already and go back to Pittsburgh!

I don't claim it didn't look suspicious. It did look suspicious. But it makes no logical sense to think that Tomlin could think that there was even a remote chance that it could help his team......and that he would know that there was a very high chance that it could hinder his team. With that in mind....again....how can you possibly think that he would intentionally do something that he would obviously know had a great chance to hurt his team(and himself) with little chance of it helping?

I don't claim it didn't look suspicious. It did look suspicious. But it makes no logical sense to think that Tomlin could think that there was even a remote chance that it could help his team......and that he would know that there was a very high chance that it could hinder his team. With that in mind....again....how can you possibly think that he would intentionally do something that he would obviously know had a great chance to hurt his team(and himself) with little chance of it helping?

I am w/you. ^^^This.

He is the Head Coach... To be that clueless is amazing, but not that much. He's "God" on the Pitt sideline, he can go anywhere and do anything he wants and the cluelessness caught up with him?

It's either you have only read bits and pieces of my posts and not read them in their entirety (I already stated Tomlin was trying to either slow down Jones or make him change direction to prevent him from scoring a TD), or you're just trying to get the last word in. It's nice that you have faith in people that they wouldn't obviously break the rules if they know about them, but not every person in the world is like that. But some people have the mentality that "It's only cheating if you get caught." Bottom line, Tomlin felt he could away with it and initially did as the ref did not throw a flag. Too bad it was a prime time game on national tv which had millions of more viewers.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

It's either you have only read bits and pieces of my posts and not read them in their entirety (I already stated Tomlin was trying to either slow down Jones or make him change direction to prevent him from scoring a TD), or you're just trying to get the last word in. It's nice that you have faith in people that they wouldn't obviously break the rules if they know about them, but not every person in the world is like that. But people have the mentality that "It's only cheating if you get caught." Bottom line, Tomlin felt he could away with and initially did as the ref did not throw a flag. Too bad it was a prime time game on national tv which had millions of more viewers.

At this point I'll follow Beerball's example from earlier in the thread and bow out.

Edited by Dibs

This makes absolutely no sense. The fact is he DID help his team -- he stopped the Ravens from scoring a TD for heaven's sake! He accomplished exactly what he set out to do.

As for the punishment, it's the wrist slap I expected. He should have been suspended. A coach stepping on the field to disrupt a ongoing play....can you even begin to imagine that in another sport? Maybe Nolan can throw an elbow at someone from the bench in the Sabres' next game. Guys get 4 games for blowing a joint and a coach gets zero for going on the field to hinder the opposing team. Unbelievable.

This makes absolutely no sense. The fact is he DID help his team -- he stopped the Ravens from scoring a TD for heaven's sake! He accomplished exactly what he set out to do.

As for the punishment, it's the wrist slap I expected. He should have been suspended. A coach stepping on the field to disrupt a ongoing play....can you even begin to imagine that in another sport? Maybe Nolan can throw an elbow at someone from the bench in the Sabres' next game. Guys get 4 games for blowing a joint and a coach gets zero for going on the field to hinder the opposing team. Unbelievable.

Why is it so hard to accept that he was wandering around out there and got caught up in the play? Because he is HC and can't blip out? Why are people trying to find order out of disorder? He wanders out there and the ref is running to the left he moves to the line thinking he may be in the way and then bam the play comes right @ him.

He should be fined and suspended for being a clueless head coach (in this situation).

You are assuming he was situationally aware. IMO, he wasn't. Only thing is he was aware of was reacting to first the ref going around and then the play.

Honestly, that is how I see it in the end. No malicious intent. The stars all happened to line up, that's all. It does look bad, I agree.

It is kinda like when you get a breakdown on the side of the Thruway... Don't they tell you to STAY w/your vehicle... People walking a roadway tend to drift into traffic... Going with traffic (which he was doing)... Always hike/walk against it!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why is it so hard to accept that he was wandering around out there and got caught up in the play? Because he is HC and can't blip out? Why are people trying to find order out of disorder? He wanders out there and the ref is running to the left he moves to the line thinking he may be in the way and then bam the play comes right @ him.

He should be fined and suspended for being a clueless head coach (in this situation).

You are assuming he was situationally aware. IMO, he wasn't. Only thing is he was aware of was reacting to first the ref going around and then the play.

Honestly, that is how I see it in the end. No malicious intent. The stars all happened to line up, that's all. It does look bad, I agree.

It is kinda like when you get a breakdown on the side of the Thruway... Don't they tell you to STAY w/your vehicle... People walking a roadway tend to drift into traffic... Going with traffic (which he was doing)... Always hike/walk against it!

Yeah, he got highway hypnosis like the Metro North guy.....except while he was coaching a pro football game and the star punt returner for the opposition just happened to be running right down the sideline at him. Happens all the time, coaches spacing out during the game and aimlessly wandering out onto the field. Good grief. :rolleyes:

Yeah, he got highway hypnosis like the Metro North guy.....except while he was coaching a pro football game and the star punt returner for the opposition just happened to be running right down the sideline at him. Happens all the time, coaches spacing out during the game and aimlessly wandering out onto the field. Good grief. :rolleyes:

Sure looks like it! Again, why is this so hard to believe? The dude can go anywhere he wants, is basically a God on that sideline and untouchable. He spaced out, it is plain and clear by the video... No nefarious plan!

Sure looks like it! Again, why is this so hard to believe? The dude can go anywhere he wants, is basically a God on that sideline and untouchable. He spaced out, it is plain and clear by the video... No nefarious plan!

All the head coaches in the NFL know the rules of the game. No one, except the referees are supposed to be on the white lines of the sidelines. In the last Bills/Jets game where Rex Ryan was flagged for being on the white marker, that incident appeared to be unintentional as Ryan was following the play and stepped on the white marker. If Tomlin was following the play and stepped on the white marker or even got half way up the white marker, you could say it was unintentional. Tomlin just didn't wonder out there by accident, he was standing still with his back to the play with his foot strategically positioned to affect the runner, by which Tomlin succeeded and was not flagged for during the game. It was very blatant.