TBD Cooks.. Need your help( you out there Chef?)

plenzmd1

Yes Chef Jim, I am looking for advice on a message board!

So cold day, natural for braising some meat.

My wife wants to do Osso Bucco, which I am fine with....but I am thinking of using beef shanks instead .

$3.99/lb vs $12.99 per lb. And to me, one of the great parts of braising is using the liquid over some egg noodles or celery root mash or similar ....so why not save $30 or so. She not so sure she wants to switch....any body have experience with using beef shanks?

My wife wants to do Osso Bucco, which I am fine with....but I am thinking of using beef shanks instead .

$3.99/lb vs $12.99 per lb. And to me, one of the great parts of braising is using the liquid over some egg noodles or celery root mash or similar ....so why not save $30 or so. She not so sure she wants to switch....any body have experience with using beef shanks?

You can use the same technique. Beef shanks are a prime candidate for braising!

I almost did..they had them as well, but wanted to try the beef. Looks like this winter may be cold, may be doing a lot of braising, little smoking

My favorite type of cooking. Slow braised dishes were my specialty when I cooked professionally actually. I made cassoulet at a restaurant in LA a number of years ago. Ruth Reichl was the LA Times restaurant critic at the time. She'd come in all the time and order two. One to eat there and one to take home which was pretty cool. Whenever it gets cold and rainy here and I ask the wife what I should make it's always "CASSOULET!!!"

This was a very (un)timely response!

Just giving him ideas for next time. :D

My favorite type of cooking. Slow braised dishes were my specialty when I cooked professionally actually. I made cassoulet at a restaurant in LA a number of years ago. Ruth Reichl was the LA Times restaurant critic at the time. She'd come in all the time and order two. One to eat there and one to take home which was pretty cool. Whenever it gets cold and rainy here and I ask the wife what I should make it's always "CASSOULET!!!"

Just giving him ideas for next time. :D

My wife refuses to eat lamb. Beef is the only red meat she'll eat, basically.

I would go that route regardless of price. You can't really screw up a braise and any cut of meat will wind up fork tender, so I would start with the toughest (most flavorful) cut I could find. No way a calf is going to have that rich beefy flavor. You need a cow thats seen some ****. Beef shank, oxtail, short rib, clod, beef cheeks, that is where its at.

I had cassoulet at some French joint in Vancouver (wifey loves French food). I hated it. Probably a bad cook but I've ingested better tasting dirt. Frankly, for being the "mother" cuisine my experience with French food overall has generally been poor.

I had cassoulet at some French joint in Vancouver (wifey loves French food). I hated it. Probably a bad cook but I've ingested better tasting dirt. Frankly, for being the "mother" cuisine my experience with French food overall has generally been poor.

I've had **** cassoulet before and as a matter of fact I typically don't order it when I'm out because of that. Some that I've had you'd be better off opening a can of Campbell's pork and beans. I assume (and this is a major assumption) that the "French" food you've had is made by people who think they know what French food is and try to replicate the classices and fail horribly. I was heavily trained in classical French cuisine and I'm very skeptical about any restaurants serving French cuisine. I can spot the **** places pretty much just by looking at the menu.

I made a massive amount of cassoulet for thanksgiving last year rather non traditional but made sense for our family at the time. We had a gift set of ingredients from D'Artagnan from our sister in law which we supplemented with some good bits locally. Might have been my favorite thanksgiving meal ever.

I made a massive amount of cassoulet for thanksgiving last year rather non traditional but made sense for our family at the time. We had a gift set of ingredients from D'Artagnan from our sister in law which we supplemented with some good bits locally. Might have been my favorite thanksgiving meal ever.

When made right there is nothing better. I think I need to make some duck confit now for the winter cassoulet.