Homefield advantage - Officiating

NoSaint

Reading Panthers boards the only reason we got the call for Steve Johnson being held was the home team advantage. Funny, reading Boston boards the only reason Keuchly didn't get called was home team advantage. In the end, if it benefits us in the end I am not upset.

The difference in the NFL doesn't seem to be statistically significant. What I'd love to see is someone with "all 22, all angles" access watch and analyze games and determine what gets called on who vs what should have been called on who. A pipe dream, I know, but I have my suspicions as to what that would show....

The difference in the NFL doesn't seem to be statistically significant. What I'd love to see is someone with "all 22, all angles" access watch and analyze games and determine what gets called on who vs what should have been called on who. A pipe dream, I know, but I have my suspicions as to what that would show....

With concepts like "there's holding on every play" it gets to be pretty tough to analyze what could've vs what should've been called.

With concepts like "there's holding on every play" it gets to be pretty tough to analyze what could've vs what should've been called.

I think that if the hold has an affect on the direct outcome of the play should be the determining factor. I believe that in most cases that is how they evaluate. As far as the penalties against the Pats* go? They deserve every one of them they get, or don't get. :thumbsup:

That's not a study of the effect of home field advantage on officiating. It's a study of the effect of home field advantage.

6.26 flags against road teams vs. 6.07 flags against home teams...couldn't it be that crowd noise accounts for the .19 difference? Noise-related false starts, delays of game and various other procedural penalties do happen.

Personally the whole "refs are on the take" thing is overblown.

The holding on every play is an issue and the only way to change that is another official watching just the OL. With the back judge focusing on the backfield, a second judge needs to be there to see what is going on with the OL.

It's not the calls that are made in the NFL, it is the calls that are not made that shape the game.

That's not a study of the effect of home field advantage on officiating. It's a study of the effect of home field advantage.

6.26 flags against road teams vs. 6.07 flags against home teams...couldn't it be that crowd noise accounts for the .19 difference? Noise-related false starts, delays of game and various other procedural penalties do happen.

Personally the whole "refs are on the take" thing is overblown.

In my opinion, I think you are likely close to spot on. It's a pretty tight set of numbers, and I don't think the refs have any fear of the homefield fans. No reason for them to favor the home team.

In my opinion, I think you are likely close to spot on. It's a pretty tight set of numbers, and I don't think the refs have any fear of the homefield fans. No reason for them to favor the home team.

What about favoring the popular teams? The Patriots over the Jags? The Panthers over the Titans? The Steelers over the Rams?

What about favoring the popular teams? The Patriots over the Jags? The Panthers over the Titans? The Steelers over the Rams?

While I don't doubt a "Michael Jordan effect" for star players, I do doubt strongly coordinated efforts to boost specific markets.

Now that is the stat that I would like to see.

It would beg the question why a team like Chicago, or the jets, or Miami is never mentioned. Why the la teams didnt get more breaks to develop that fan base. Why NE was so bad for so long, etc....

Or if teams simply find good players and are well coached over stretches and just about any could qualify as a favorite market when they are winning.

It would beg the question why a team like Chicago, or the jets, or Miami is never mentioned. Why the la teams didnt get more breaks to develop that fan base. Why NE was so bad for so long, etc....

Or if teams simply find good players and are well coached over stretches and just about any could qualify as a favorite market when they are winning.

I personally think it is a natural part of human nature at work. I believe, on a subconscious level, the refs will favour the better(star) players and the better teams.....and even to a lesser extent the teams generally perceived to be more popular(based upon individual refs preconceived beliefs).

I don't believe in any conspiracy........just in the concept of humans being fallible.

I personally think it is a natural part of human nature at work. I believe, on a subconscious level, the refs will favour the better(star) players and the better teams.....and even to a lesser extent the teams generally perceived to be more popular(based upon individual refs preconceived beliefs).

I don't believe in any conspiracy........just in the concept of humans being fallible.

Look at Cinci. They've been a middle of the road team at the worst for several seasons and they get no respect from the NFL. Detroit is even more strange - full of bad boy types and the NFL does nothing to promote Megatron or other players on that team like they do others in the league. The Steelers are in a similar position.

I cannot think it is an event steered by the NFL as much as subconscious. Maybe now we are seeing refs tired of Brady winning and crying. Maybe we are now seeing refs look at Manning and cheer him in his comeback. It might just be mere human willpower. I imagine if Brady were cut and given the Bledsoe treatment his return to glory would be a huge story.

That's why I was saying I don't doubt a bit of the Jordan effect where stars get the benefit of the doubt on borderline calls but I'm very much against the idea that the nfl is in the business of fixing games or rewarding refs for favoring teams due to fan base or market size.

Edited by NoSaint

That's why I was saying I don't doubt a bit of the Jordan effect where stars get the benefit of the doubt on borderline calls but I'm very much against the idea that the nfl is in the business of fixing games or rewarding refs for favoring teams due to fan base or market size.

http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591808

I believe these guys has the same general conclusion. That the biggest influence on referring is the home crowd. The percentages may vary, but it sure seems that home teams get more calls on average, than visiting teams.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0307591808

I believe these guys has the same general conclusion. That the biggest influence on referring is the home crowd. The percentages may vary, but it sure seems that home teams get more calls on average, than visiting teams.

Home crowd &/or traveling &/or playing in unfamiliar surroundings.