What Travis Henry actually said

I suggest that everyone who wants to shoot fish in a barrel by taking Henry's comments in the worst possible context and a false light read the article.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont..._fins_0118.html

The important part to me are these quotes:

"I have put up the numbers to prove I'm just as good as him," Henry said. "(The Bills) had a chance to have the best of both worlds. But they went in another direction. Why? I don't know. I'm one of the top five running backs in the NFL and I would have continued to put up the same numbers."

Henry said he's been told that Oakland, Miami, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Arizona are among the teams that have expressed interest.

"Forget this cold stuff," said Henry, who grew up in Frostproof. "It took me a while to adjust to the cold. And the turf. I mean, I grew up rooting for Buffalo. Something about their colors. And Thurman (Thomas). And (Jim) Kelly. And (Andre) Reed. But I'm ready to move on. I'm ready to blow up the league next year. And I hope it's in Miami. I want to be there. I know they need a back. I hope they want a top-five back."

Folks have been dumping on him as though he said he produced like one of the top 5 backs in the NFL this year. If that is what he said, that is obviously wrong and stupid but that is not what he said if you bother to read the article.

1. He starts off by saying that he did not put up the numbers this year to be considered a top 5 back.

2. He then says that he believes that if he were used the way he should be used he would produce numbers like a top 5 back in the NFL.

3. He expresses his long-term rooting love for the Bills and says that in his first three years he felt he was improving as he got used to the cold and the turf.

I think that Henry could easily be correct in these assertions which have been wailed on today on TSW by really mistating what and why he said it.

Is Henry one of the top 5 backs in the game today? No. And he says he did not put up the numbers to make him a top 5 back this year. Do folks disagree with that?

Has Henry arguably been one of the top 5 backs in the league at any point in his career? No. Bit he doesn't say that he was and actually given that he did make the Pro Bowl as a reserve his second year he quite arguably has produced in the top 10 early in his career.

Has Henry impressed and improved his play during his brief career? Yes, at various points. He did not play great but pretty good for a rookie his first year gaining over 700 yards for a 3-13 team. He correctly acknowledged that playing in Buffalo took some getting used to for him which is reasonable given that he was rookie and used to warm weather.

In his second year, Henry made the Pro Bowl and also demonstrated some pass catching ability as he not only ran for over 14 yds, but caught over 40 passes even though with Moulds, Peerless and Centers he was not anywhere near the first look on most plays.

In his third year Henry fell just short of 1300 yards rushing, but actually increased his per game average and won the hearts of many Bills fans as played through a broken bone which held him to 14 starts. The recieving yardage fell off with some noticeable drops as the Bills offense totally died that year.

His numbers sucked in his fourth year.

Are Henry's comments in the paper credible? Yes! Fkat out I would argue they are. Given that he had production which won him a Pro Bowl appearance in his second year which easily places him in the top 10 RBs, I think that it is more than credible for him to claim that if he had an OC other than Kevin Killdrive his second year and was in an offense led by Bledsoe which tanked that year while Henrt still racked up good rushing yards that he was on a track to be a top 5 NFL rusher.

HE CLEARLY DID NOT SAY HE WAS TOP 5 BECAUSE HE DID NOT PUT UP THE NUMBERS BUT THAT HE COULD BE IF USED IN THE WAY HE WANTS.

I have no problem with that and in fact have problems with anyone who starts in the NFL, has made the Pro Bowl, wants to improve and does not feel this way.

The other thing which I think must be taken into context and makes this a very Pro-Bills statement and exactly what we want him to say is that he said this in a FLA paper. Show confidence and get the hometown folks riled up and in his corner and it helps the Bills get the best possible trade value for this player.

I'm glad Henry said what he said in this FLA paper. I think those who are raggin on his comments should reconsidet their views and look at this as a Bills's fan.

FFS, please answer this, on the premise that top 5 backs want top 5 money.....

Do you think he is doing his agent a service with his comments? If you were his agent, would you be happy that he declared himself to be a great player considering the salary issue, or would you rather that he kept quiet, and let you do the negotiating?

I suggest that everyone who wants to shoot fish in a barrel by taking Henry's comments in the worst possible context and a false light read the article.

"I have put up the numbers to prove I'm just as good as him," Henry said. "(The Bills) had a chance to have the best of both worlds. But they went in another direction. Why? I don't know. I'm one of the top five running backs in the NFL and I would have continued to put up the same numbers."

Henry said he's been told that Oakland, Miami, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Arizona are among the teams that have expressed interest.

"Forget this cold stuff," said Henry, who grew up in Frostproof. "It took me a while to adjust to the cold. And the turf. I mean, I grew up rooting for Buffalo. Something about their colors. And Thurman (Thomas). And (Jim) Kelly. And (Andre) Reed. But I'm ready to move on. I'm ready to blow up the league next year. And I hope it's in Miami. I want to be there. I know they need a back. I hope they want a top-five back."

Folks have been dumping on him as though he said he produced like one of the top 5 backs in the NFL this year.  If that is what he said, that is obviously wrong and stupid but that is not what he said if you bother to read the article.

1. He starts off by saying that he did not put up the numbers this year to be considered a top 5 back.

2. He then says that he believes that if he were used the way he should be used he would produce numbers like a top 5 back in the NFL.

3. He expresses his long-term rooting love for the Bills and says that in his first three years he felt he was improving as he got used to the cold and the turf.

I think that Henry could easily be correct in these assertions which have been wailed on today on TSW by really mistating what and why he said it.

Is Henry one of the top 5 backs in the game today? No.  And he says he did not put up the numbers to make him a top 5 back this year.  Do folks disagree with that?

Has Henry arguably been one of the top 5 backs in the league at any point in his career? No. Bit he doesn't say that he was and actually given that he did make the Pro Bowl as a reserve his second year he quite arguably has produced in the top 10 early in his career.

Has Henry impressed and improved his play during his brief career?  Yes, at various points.  He did not play great but pretty good for a rookie his first year gaining over 700 yards for a 3-13 team.  He correctly acknowledged that playing in Buffalo took some getting used to for him which is reasonable given that he was rookie and used to warm weather.

In his second year, Henry made the Pro Bowl and also demonstrated some pass catching ability as he not only ran for over 14 yds, but caught over 40 passes even though with Moulds, Peerless and Centers he was not anywhere near the first look on most plays.

In his third year Henry fell just short of 1300 yards rushing, but actually increased his per game average and won the hearts of many Bills fans as played through a broken bone which held him to 14 starts.  The recieving yardage fell off with some noticeable drops as the Bills offense totally died that year.

Are Henry's comments in the paper credible?  Yes!  Fkat out I would argue they are.  Given that he had production which won him a Pro Bowl appearance in his second year which easily places him in the top 10 RBs, I think that it is more than credible for him to claim that if he had an OC other than Kevin Killdrive his second year and was in an offense led by Bledsoe which tanked that year while Henrt still racked up good rushing yards that he was on a track to be a top 5 NFL rusher.

HE CLEARLY DID NOT SAY HE WAS TOP 5 BECAUSE HE DID NOT PUT UP THE NUMBERS BUT THAT HE COULD BE IF USED IN THE WAY HE WANTS.

I have no problem with that and in fact have problems with anyone who starts in the NFL, has made the Pro Bowl, wants to improve and does not feel this way.

The other thing which I think must be taken into context and makes this a very Pro-Bills statement and exactly what we want him to say is that he said this in a FLA paper.  Show confidence and get the hometown folks riled up and in his corner and it helps the Bills get the best possible trade value for this player.

I'm glad Henry said what he said in this FLA paper.  I think those who are raggin on his comments should reconsidet their views and look at this as a Bills's fan.

209879[/snapback]

Did Travis save you from a well when you were a small child or something?

The guy moped all season, and before this year was an ABOVE AVERAGE back, injury prone, and is now being a loud mouth...

Sorry, I won't miss him...

Sunny, do you ever write a post that is less than 1,000 words? :(

He mentioned that the Bills could of "had the best of both worlds."

Are we to take that to mean he could have co-existed with McGahee but the team did or said something that ruined that? I take it to mean that as long as he was put back in as the starter right away, he would have been happy.

Folks have been dumping on him as though he said he produced like one of the top 5 backs in the NFL this year.  If that is what he said, that is obviously wrong and stupid but that is not what he said if you bother to read the article.

Is Henry one of the top 5 backs in the game today? No.  And he says he did not put up the numbers to make him a top 5 back this year.  Do folks disagree with that?

Has Henry impressed and improved his play during his brief career?  Yes, at various points.  He did not play great but pretty good for a rookie his first year gaining over 700 yards for a 3-13 team.  He correctly acknowledged that playing in Buffalo took some getting used to for him which is reasonable given that he was rookie and used to warm weather.

In his third year Henry fell just short of 1300 yards rushing, but actually increased his per game average and won the hearts of many Bills fans as played through a broken bone which held him to 14 starts.  The recieving yardage fell off with some noticeable drops as the Bills offense totally died that year.

Are Henry's comments in the paper credible?  Yes!  Fkat out I would argue they are.  Given that he had production which won him a Pro Bowl appearance in his second year which easily places him in the top 10 RBs, I think that it is more than credible for him to claim that if he had an OC other than Kevin Killdrive his second year and was in an offense led by Bledsoe which tanked that year while Henrt still racked up good rushing yards that he was on a track to be a top 5 NFL rusher.

The other thing which I think must be taken into context and makes this a very Pro-Bills statement and exactly what we want him to say is that he said this in a FLA paper.  Show confidence and get the hometown folks riled up and in his corner and it helps the Bills get the best possible trade value for this player.

I'm glad Henry said what he said in this FLA paper.  I think those who are raggin on his comments should reconsidet their views and look at this as a Bills's fan.

209879[/snapback]

"I'm one of the top five running backs in the NFL"

"I hope it's in Miami. I want to be there. I know they need a back. I hope they want a top-five back."

let's stop the sophsitry, yvel varm!

Sunny, do you ever write a post that is less than 1,000 words?  :(

He mentioned that the Bills could of "had the best of both worlds."

Are we to take that to mean he could have co-existed with McGahee, but the team did or said something that ruined that? I take it to meant that as long as he was put back in as the starter right away yhe would have been happy.

209893[/snapback]

Good point. This is what I am trying to get across. He wants a trade, right? Well TD gave his agent permission to seek one. Now Travis, (not known for his brains), would be well served to simply shut up and let his agent do his job.

He wants a trade, right? Well TD gave his agent permission to seek one. Now Travis, (not known for his brains), would be well served to simply shut up and let his agent do his job.

209909[/snapback]

Word.

Good point. This is what I am trying to get across. He wants a trade, right? Well TD gave his agent permission to seek one. Now Travis, (not known for his brains), would be well served to simply shut up and let his agent do his job.

209909[/snapback]

I disagree. I think the model of this for us is the Peerless Price situation. A combination of an expression of some interest in AT in the potential for PP to become a Falcon, PP saying he would really be interested in becoming a Fakcin, the media (and I think Vick also who wanted a reciever) jumping on the bandwagon and saying this would be the move to put them over the top and most important owner Arthur Blank essentially promising to the AT fans and Vick he would get Peerless allowed TD to tag him and hold AT up for a 1st round pick (which actually became WM).

I think we now have:

1. Miami apparently expressing interest to TD in a trade through Henry's agent.

2. Henry moving his wordly possessions to FLA and publicly expressing a desire to go to the Fins.

3. The Rickey Williams fiasco which has created a huge need at RB for the Fins and a credible case can be made that just Corey Dillon (a much better player than Henry BTW) made a huge difference for NE so to can Henry make a huge difference for Mia.

4. The missing element in this equation is the Arthur Blank public statement (I doubt we will get such a gift again) but I hope Travis sucks up to the media, to any friends he has with the Fins and to Nick Saban to let him feel that Travis can be a big part of them putting the Rickey Williams episode behind them.

I think he said just the right things.

"I'm one of the top five running backs in the NFL"

"I hope it's in Miami. I want to be there. I know they need a back. I hope they want a top-five back."

let's stop the sophsitry, yvel varm!

209908[/snapback]

Sophistry is not citing the whole quote in the same statement and actially not even citing the competion of the entire sentence.

Specifically, after he says that he is a top 5 RB he completes the sentence by saying "and I would have continued to put up the same numbers."

This means that he clearly knows he did not put up the numbers of a top 5 RB this year and that he views himself as an athlete who would be putting up top 5 numbers if Kevin Killdrive has used him the say way in 2003 as he did in 2002 and made the Pro Bowl and thus was arguably a top 10 RB in his second year.

He said exactly what Bills fans should want him to say in a West Palm paper in the hopes that he will get the fan base all excited about moving past the Rickey Willliams era with a former Pro Bowl RB.

Sophistry would be to claim or think this is an issue of judgement about where Henry ranks among RBs, when this is actually about what available RBs can Miami get that will help them at least sell their product to their fan base and it is to be hoped win games.

The key for the Bills here is not to promote Henry as the greatest RB since sliced bread (even Henry says he has not produced those numbers only that he believes he can) but to meet the lofty level that Henry is a better choice for the Fins right now than the memory of Rickey Williams.

I really liked what Henry had to say in the Palm Beach paper.

209909[/snapback]

How does TH talking hurt his chances or the Bills chances of trading him...It's obvious Miami is interested...Henry is showing his interest in Miami(same as Peerless did with Atlanta)....It only helps us trade him....

Personally I hope he ends up in Arizona....In Miami we'd have to see him twice a year....not good :(

Sophistry is not citing the whole quote in the same statement and actially not even citing the competion of the entire sentence.

Specifically, after he says that he is a top 5 RB he completes the sentence by saying "and I would have continued to put up the same numbers."

209967[/snapback]

????

how does the second clause of this sentence qualify his claim that he's a top 5 back?

to translate, here's what he said:

"i'm one of the five best runners in the league, and if the bills coaching staff had continued to start me, i would have continued to pile up the same numbers that so evidently made me a top five player in the years previous to this one."

that's patently ridiculous. he played very poorly in the first few games this year, and was hardly in the top 5 - let alone the top 15 - in 2003. in 2002, he was probably the 12th best running back in the league judging from numbers. he's always been a bad receiver despite the fact that he caught a decent amount of passes in 2002. he's only good for swing passes and screens (which he is still poor at). he can't line up outside, and is incapable of running circle routes or any of the other routes that made thurman such a good receiver and faulk so great.

????

how does the second clause of this sentence qualify his claim that he's a top 5 back?

"i'm one of the five best runners in the league, and if the bills coaching staff had continued to start me, i would have continued to pile up the same numbers that so evidently made me a top five player in the years previous to this one."

that's patently ridiculous. he played very poorly in the first few games this year, and was hardly in the top 5 - let alone the top 15 - in 2003. in 2002, he was probably the 12th best running back in the league judging from numbers. he's always been a bad receiver despite the fact that he caught a decent amount of passes in 2002. he's only good for swing passes and screens (which he is still poor at). he can't line up outside, and is incapable of running circle routes or any of the other routes that made thurman such a good receiver and faulk so great.

210004[/snapback]

Who cares? I don't think Bills' fans do and in fact we hope he is wrong.

What I care about as a Bills is getting the maximum return for trading Henry (in my the preference would be a player who can produce now rather than even a highly rated draft pick who is good as RJ but gives us nada in his first year).

I think Travis' comments that if he were used what he see's as correctly (gosh knows that Kevin Killdrive and the Bills's offense did few things correctly and that going with WM over TH was the correct thing for the Bills to do) the he would put up top 5 RB numbers are correct if his premise is correct and getting a Pro Bowl berth his second year at least makes his premise arguable.

The issue here is not where Travi ranks among RBs, the issue here is whether the Bills can get good trade value from a team which desperately needs an RB and could use a former Pro Bowler to move beyond the Rickey Williams fiasco.

Is that not true?

Since any potential suitor would be turned off by an admission that "I could be a top 25 back in this league", his public positioning appears to be reasonable to me. His statement, suprisingly, is probably a little better thought out than it's being given credit for.

????

210004[/snapback]

And don't forget is blocking...or lack there of...he hates to pick up the blitz, something teams do to us every chance they get!!

Who cares? I don't think Bills' fans do and in fact we hope he is wrong.

What I care about as a Bills is getting the maximum return for trading Henry (in my the preference would be a player who can produce now rather than even a highly rated draft pick who is good as RJ but gives us nada in his first year).

I think Travis'  comments that if he were used what he see's as correctly (gosh knows that Kevin Killdrive and the Bills's offense did few things correctly and that going with WM over TH was the correct thing for the Bills to do) the he would put up top 5 RB numbers are correct if his premise is correct and getting a Pro Bowl berth his second year at least makes his premise arguable.

The issue here is not where Travi ranks among RBs, the issue here is whether the Bills can get good trade value from a team which desperately needs an RB and could use a former Pro Bowler to move beyond the Rickey Williams fiasco.

Is that not true?

210041[/snapback]

agreed, but as i said in my other post, i'd be thrilled - absolutely thrilled - to get a third rounder for him. that said, the third round has been a black hole for the bills since forever. going back to 1984, the only really productive players they've landed in the 3rd round have been jennings, glenn parker, and frank reich (1985). don beebe and matt stevens were third rounders, but they're marginal players in my opinion. only jennings has been above average, though, and even he's not what you'd call an elite player. incidentally, in 1984, the bills picked 3 guys in the third round. all were nonentities: rodney bellinger, sean mcnanie, and speedy neil. it's a pretty dismal record, actually. maybe they should demand a 4th rounder instead of a third rounder - they've had some success in that round (andre reed, terrence mcgee, ken irvin (entering his 11th year!). in all seriousness, though, that's been a pretty unproductive round as well - about 4 really solid picks, and 16 weak nonentities. hell, maybe the draft is overrated ...