Bills contact NFL about scheduling disadvantage

Simon

Who's to say the hit in the knee won't hurt more than the head? You can get shot in the leg and die while people have been shot in the head and survived?

It's not off topic to talk about the Bills not getting a MNF game. It's all part of the same problem. Schedule makers. They overlook and at times seem to purposely want to hurt the Bills.

All of this is coming from a Bills fans' perspective of course. But if you step away from being a fan and look at the history of our schedule with primetime games and playing teams coming off of byes, it looks like the Bills are being picked on.

We're the Jonathan Martin to the Bully Incognito schedule makers...

No offense, but you are all over the place. Now you believe that malice is involved in the schedule? I think you see what you want to see. Good luck.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have been on the wrong end of this issue most years. I think Brandon decided not to sit back and hope it gets fixed on its own next year, and instead is alerting the NFL that this has been a problem and we hope for better treatment in the future.

I think the scheduling sucked, but formally complaining about it now, instead of earlier (or even after the season) seems like whining. Marrone's demeanor the past few weeks has been a little annoying. He is showing a few cracks in his persona.

Agreed. Be a Man! And Face what comes your way with Dignity and Pride.

No offense, but you are all over the place. Now you believe that malice is involved in the schedule? I think you see what you want to see. Good luck.

I see what's only there for me to see. I see 16 Monday night games a year with 32 teams in the league which means every team can play a Monday night game mandatory just like the Thursday night games. Yet, the Bills play one or two of those every decade.

Just like NoSaint said, espn may be the one holding us back from playing and it may not be the NFL itself, but still, it also should be discussed with the NFL. Primetime games help us. People who barely watch football know who Ivory on the Jets is cuz of all the media attention he gets. Is he better than Fred? That'd be a no.

They attract good players to want to go play for them that way also. We on the other hand needed Merriman to be a scout for us.

Now I'm DEFINITELY all over the place for sure...

Agreed. Be a Man! And Face what comes your way with Dignity and Pride.

I like that Brandon lodged the complaint. It looks to me like a move that Phil Jackson liked to pull leading into the playoffs. Go to the league (or media) and criticize the officials for how Kobe was being abused by defenders. He would get fined but come playoff time he didn't mind because the officials had it in the back of their minds and the smaller fouls they were letting go before would now get called. This ensures that they'll be careful when scheduling us next year.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I see what's only there for me to see. I see 16 Monday night games a year with 32 teams in the league which means every team can play a Monday night game mandatory just like the Thursday night games. Yet, the Bills play one or two of those every decade.

Unfortunately for the Bills and all the fans, the NFL isn't a European style social democracy where everyone gets the exact same treatment. Personally, I like that we don't play on Monday night because it would be more embarrassing to know that we are stinking it up on National TV. I also like the idea of earning your place on Monday night football.

Just like NoSaint said, espn may be the one holding us back from playing and it may not be the NFL itself, but still, it also should be discussed with the NFL. Primetime games help us. People who barely watch football know who Ivory on the Jets is cuz of all the media attention he gets. Is he better than Fred? That'd be a no.

then the nfl would have to charge espn less for the rights to their premium broadcast slot with the best (well, second best, nbc pays more for the best) matchups.

nfl.com statistics put it at a 54% win rate coming off a thursday or bye week game since 2006. which makes it a slight advantage at best, unless of course the buffalo bills being a bad team and playing a league high number of those games accounts for the 4% gap.

i'm too lazy to do this....but it would be interesting to look at ALL team historical games played after a bye week, or any game with extra rest (like off a thursday night). this year, the bills lead the league. but i wonder about historically, if it doesn't balance out.

nfl.com statistics put it at a 54% win rate coming off a thursday or bye week game since 2006. which makes it a slight advantage at best, unless of course the buffalo bills being a bad team and playing a league high number of those games accounts for the 4% gap.

You are confusing what is an obvious advantage with how well teams capitalize on this advantage. They are 2 different things that don't take into account the specifics of those match-ups. Even when you look at that 54% as the beginning and end of the discussion of bye week advantage, how do you quantify it for 3 games in a single season?

You are confusing what is an obvious advantage with how well teams capitalize on this advantage. They are 2 different things that don't take into account the specifics of those match-ups. Even when you look at that 54% as the beginning and end of the discussion of bye week advantage, how do you quantify it for 3 games in a single season?

just because you declare it an advantage, doesnt mean its actually a real advantage. get in a weekly routine at work and then change it and see if you perform better or worse? while the rest certainly is nice, you have the side effect of players pulling a dwayne bowe and taking advantage of the week off, or simply getting a little rusty.

you know how some teams think its a terrible idea to rest starters at the end of a season because it can kill momentum?

im just saying its probably a lot less of an advantage than some people think. if a team is particularly beat up, sure it could help. if they are on a roll, it could be helping us to have the momentum broken - no one discusses that factor in these talks.

The real disadvantage is that they keep scheduling us tough games. Why don't we ever play the Sun Belt conference or Mountain West? Russ needs push Goodell to get us some confidence building games on the schedule. We should be opening against Appalachian State not New England.

just because you declare it an advantage, doesnt mean its actually a real advantage. get in a weekly routine at work and then change it and see if you perform better or worse? while the rest certainly is nice, you have the side effect of players pulling a dwayne bowe and taking advantage of the week off, or simply getting a little rusty.

you know how some teams think its a terrible idea to rest starters at the end of a season because it can kill momentum?

im just saying its probably a lot less of an advantage than some people think. if a team is particularly beat up, sure it could help. if they are on a roll, it could be helping us to have the momentum broken - no one discusses that factor in these talks.

You went in a circle. You mentioned a bunch of hypotheticals and made analogies but didn't really speak to the obvious advantage of extra rest and prep time. Again, having an advantage and capitalizing are 2 different things. Every season there are coaches and players that f*** up a wet dream and mismanage their bye weeks or win the division early and think that they can chose to take games off. Those are choices that are made in the face of obvious advantage that each have specific outcomes and are open to debate on their own merits.

You went in a circle. You mentioned a bunch of hypotheticals and made analogies but didn't really speak to the obvious advantage of extra rest and prep time. Again, having an advantage and capitalizing are 2 different things. Every season there are coaches and players that f*** up a wet dream and mismanage their bye weeks or win the division early and think that they can chose to take games off. Those are choices that are made in the face of obvious advantage that each have specific outcomes and are open to debate on their own merits.

i guess, ultimately, i have to ask if its statistically not showing a major advantage in the results over long stretches (albeit, sure a small one seemingly and anything helps in the NFL) is it actually an advantage in reality, or merely on paper? lots of things that sound good dont actually translate to success. Having a week off in sports, strikes me as one that is probably far less advantageous in practice than it sounds on paper.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, just like that; because relaxing with a j is exactly like dying from smack.

yeah, Toronto is like a "gateway venue" .... next thing you know, you're mainlining by playing games in Europe .... oh, wait ......

Edited by merlin

A disproportionate number of well-rested teams

It's a fair point but as long as they choose to be the only team in the NFL that only plays 7 home games every year, their complaint is all but moot, imo.

The Bills faced the patriots after their bye in 2004,2005,2006,2007, and 2012. It is crazy how statistically unlikely that is. Basically, it is on purpose.

Edited by todd