Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Again, if you're looking at it from 2013, Bills are in a better place with Hogan because he was a bigger contributor during the year. He may not have the receiving stats, but Rogers would not have contributed on ST like Hogan has. Hogan has 6 ST tackles on the year and is a key player on the squad. Rogers would not have fulfilled that spot.

Longer term is still unknown. WR is probably the easiest spot to fill with street free agents, so unless Rogers does turn into the next Randy Moss, this miss would not be a devastation.

Is that really a "key" contribution at < 1/2 tackle/game? I'm thinking no. If we're talking Easley as a key contributor on ST, I'll grant you that. Hogan OTOH is just a guy on the roster IMO.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the crux of the argument. Since when does hard work mean more than talent? This team is once again 5-9 and it is because of these types of decisions. It is a microcosm for the last 10 years. I have no idea if Rogers can play but I know that Hogan can't. If there was a viable alternative then fine, but there was not.

Because unless you are Randy Moss you don't just show up on Sunday, play half azz, half the time and still play better than the other guys on the roster.

All Da'Rick has is potential, which is wasted talent.

There is very little difference in abilities between these players who can't sniff a roster spot and earn trips to Hawaii in the big scheme of things.

Just doing rough math it seems like teams add on average 10 rookies per year. There are probably 50,000 collegiate football players a year that graduate from college vying for about 300 to 400 jobs.

And a slightly below average NFL level talent that works his can off is going to beat an above average NFL level talent that won't learn the offense or doesn't put in the effort needed to get the route right every time.

Is that really a "key" contribution at < 1/2 tackle/game? I'm thinking no. If we're talking Easley as a key contributor on ST, I'll grant you that. Hogan OTOH is just a guy on the roster IMO.

Next year is the year to draft an elite WR and tightend.

Hogan is a jag, but he's a jag on an active roster. His 1/2 tackles per game is infinitely higher than what Rogers would have provided stashed on the practice squad.

Don't conflate the issues. Bills are better off in 2013 with Hogan actively contributing. For the future, it's an open question. But there's no way that Rogers was going to provide more to the Bills this year than what Hogan had done so far.

For the future, it's an open question. But there's no way that Rogers was going to provide more to the Bills this year than what Hogan had done so far.

i dont know that you can say that with any certainty. signed in september hes already done more for his new team.

Hogan is a jag, but he's a jag on an active roster. His 1/2 tackles per game is infinitely higher than what Rogers would have provided stashed on the practice squad.

Don't conflate the issues. Bills are better off in 2013 with Hogan actively contributing. For the future, it's an open question. But there's no way that Rogers was going to provide more to the Bills this year than what Hogan had done so far.

Cannot agree with this at all and I'm certainly not conflating the issue. Rogers could have easily started the year on the PS and eventually earned a promotion to the 53. It certainly wouldn't have been difficult for him to surpass Hogan's contributions on ST or as a WR in offensive sets.

Chris Hogan.... <_<

his 60 yard td was a slant that he took to the house. he got more yards after the catch on that play than hogan has in his pro career... possibly in his life, given his small college sample. if you include college, hogan has 3 TD receptions. the longest catch hes had since high school was 41 yards in a one catch performance against the duquesne dukes in 2010. the only game he broke 30 yards in college. a feat he still hasnt matched since.

Yeah but he tries hard.

Cannot agree with this at all and I'm certainly not conflating the issue. Rogers could have easily started the year on the PS and eventually earned a promotion to the 53. It certainly wouldn't have been difficult for him to surpass Hogan's contributions on ST or as a WR in offensive sets.

Chris Hogan.... <_<

I don't buy that for a minute. It's clear from what Chris Brown and others have recounted that maturation and dedication were the main culprits for Rogers getting cut. So I fail to see how he would have turned himself around in Buffalo and also contributed to special teams during the season, when he showed zero proclivity during the summer. What you can't quantify is the possible mistakes he could have made on ST that would have resulted in TDs or long gains by the opposition. Playing the ST isn't only about tackles. It's about the responsibility of being at the right spot all the time. Tell me about Rogers' work ethic that makes you feel comfortable that he would have been a good ST'er?

It took two Indy WRs going out for the season for him to finally crack the active roster, and even then a few weeks on the inactive list. This weekend he had a pedestrian outing.

There is close to zero chance he would have been as effective as Hogan in 2013.

In the future, he has much more potential than Hogan. But it's silly to think he would haven been more valuable to the team this year.

I don't buy that for a minute. It's clear from what Chris Brown and others have recounted that maturation and dedication were the main culprits for Rogers getting cut. So I fail to see how he would have turned himself around in Buffalo and also contributed to special teams during the season, when he showed zero proclivity during the summer. What you can't quantify is the possible mistakes he could have made on ST that would have resulted in TDs or long gains by the opposition. Playing the ST isn't only about tackles. It's about the responsibility of being at the right spot all the time. Tell me about Rogers' work ethic that makes you feel comfortable that he would have been a good ST'er?

It took two Indy WRs going out for the season for him to finally crack the active roster, and even then a few weeks on the inactive list. This weekend he had a pedestrian outing.

There is close to zero chance he would have been as effective as Hogan in 2013.

In the future, he has much more potential than Hogan. But it's silly to think he would haven been more valuable to the team this year.

You're buying the company line...I'm cool with that. :thumbsup:

In order for any of that to have happened, he would have had to have made the team. He failed to do so. The staff didn't blow this one, Rogers did.

Did you miss this in my post?-----------------------> "Rogers could have easily started the year on the PS"

14 years of fail is my evidence that makes me question OBD. I'll stand on that.

Those 14 are best characterized by a failure to find the guy who can throw the ball vs the failure to find the guy who can catch the ball