I like this assessment of the team at mid season

Kellyto83TD

And is it just me but for the first time in say 15 years, does it seem to anyone else this was an objective article on the Bills? Not bashing and making fun like normal?

http://espn.go.com/b...report-afc-east

Yeah a pretty fair assessment I'd say. Giving coaching a B overall might be a bit high in my opinion. But I can see where one could think Pettine can pull the overall up to a B I guess.

This article was spot on. A very accurate assessment of the team from top to bottom.

In my opinion, the problem with ESPN and other sports-news outlets isn't objectivity. It's that 99 percent of the writers/announcers don't know anything about the Bills. In fact, they don't seem to know anything about ANY teams and players that aren't in the top quarter of the NFL (New England, Denver, New Orleans, San Francisco, etc...)

This article was spot on. A very accurate assessment of the team from top to bottom.

In my opinion, the problem with ESPN and other sports-news outlets isn't objectivity. It's that 99 percent of the writers/announcers don't know anything about the Bills. In fact, they don't seem to know anything about ANY teams and players that aren't in the top quarter of the NFL (New England, Denver, New Orleans, San Francisco, etc...)

I agree with you. It is understandable for the casual football fan, but inexcusable for someone doing that for a living.

Yeah a pretty fair assessment I'd say. Giving coaching a B overall might be a bit high in my opinion. But I can see where one could think Pettine can pull the overall up to a B I guess.

If we get to 8-8 I think Marrone deserves coach of the year.

Injuries at corner, a boo boo foot safety, and three different QBs and we have yet to come out unprepared to play. If this was either of the last two coaching staffs we might be 0-9 at this point. JMO

Three different QBs leave our opponents unprepared to play. That's the point!

Agree to disagree on that. It also leaves us unprepared. Do you think Jeff Tuel kept the Chiefs up at night? They knew we were going to run the ball and we still ran all over them. Thats good coaching.

How many times has Belicheat destroyed a rookie starter? Rex Ryan? Rob Ryan?

Our coaches have had all these guys ready to play each week. I have been impressed by that.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Overall, mostly on point. Clearly the QB issue is the biggest, not only in the lack of production from the WRs but also in the amount of sacks given up. Thad was a sack machine in the games he started, making the OL look much worse than they are because of inability to read the defense and get quick throws off to hot reads. That and the Jets game where EJ got mauled are the biggest factors in the OL sack totals. I do not recall any against the Chiefs. The Coaching grade is very fair, for the reasons he states.

Agree to disagree on that. It also leaves us unprepared. Do you think Jeff Tuel kept the Chiefs up at night? They knew we were going to run the ball and we still ran all over them. Thats good coaching.

How many times has Belicheat destroyed a rookie starter? Rex Ryan? Rob Ryan?

Our coaches have had all these guys ready to play each week. I have been impressed by that.

Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers preparing for right now as the Bills QB? And how are they preparing?

Who are the Pittsburgh Steelers preparing for right now as the Bills QB? And how are they preparing?

The Steelers are preparing for Manuel. If they get Lewis instead, no big deal as Lewis is a less athletically gifted version of Manuel. If Tuel starts then the Stillers DC smiles and loves life.

What's the mystery here. There is no genius ploy by Marrone. This sounds like all the "mega-mind" nonsense posts about Gailey last season.

They are prepping for EJ. And I assume they expect heavy run bc we've done that all year

Do the Steelers know that EJ is going to be the Bills QB? No, they don't. It still could be Lewis that they face. It's Wednesday and the Steelers are losing valuable time to gameplan against the Bills offense. It's been like that for almost all of our opponents this season.

Makes for lousy games and lousy mid-season analysis.

And is it just me but for the first time in say 15 years, does it seem to anyone else this was an objective article on the Bills? Not bashing and making fun like normal?

http://espn.go.com/b...report-afc-east

I think its spot on. They need one more play making LB and one starter at LG and one backup OL.

Injuries are just part of any team . But Manuel has to learn how to protect himself. But some of that is just bad luck.

What is most important is the B grade on coaching, which is an serious upgrade from last year.

We are not that far away folks, and I am looking forward to the 2nd half of the season. :)

Do the Steelers know that EJ is going to be the Bills QB? No, they don't. It still could be Lewis that they face. It's Wednesday and the Steelers are losing valuable time to gameplan against the Bills offense. It's been like that for almost all of our opponents this season.

Makes for lousy games and lousy mid-season analysis.

i get your point but it's like saying the pats should say Brady is questionable. At this level you know what the opponent is going to run. The offense itself doesn't change no real advantage given. Jmo

At this level you know what the opponent is going to run. The offense itself doesn't change no real advantage given. Jmo

The Buffalo Bills defense is spending the week preparing for the Steelers offense and QB Ben Roethlisberger. There's plenty of film to view.

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense is spending the week doing what? QB is the most important position of the offense. And if you don't know which QB you're facing you're at a disadvantage.

Bigger Picture: Any analysis of the Buffalo Bills at this point is completely useless. Had EJ not injured his knee in training camp and the other knee against Cleveland he would have played every game so far. Then you can make analysis.

All season long the Bills have been a mess at the QB position. Opponents not knowing which Bills QB almost every week leaves them at a huge disadvantage to start the game.

Different QBs nearly every week makes for a schizophrenic football team with schizophrenic games and schizophrenic/useless mid-season analysis.

P.S. I don't mean to picking an argument with you, Captain. I just think that the revolving QB situation in Buffalo makes for flawed analysis.

Edited by PearlHowardman

The Buffalo Bills defense is spending the week preparing for the Steelers offense and QB Ben Roethlisberger. There's plenty of film to view.

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense is spending the week doing what? QB is the most important position of the offense. And if you don't know which QB you're facing you're at a disadvantage.

Bigger Picture: Any analysis of the Buffalo Bills at this point is completely useless. Had EJ not injured his knee in training camp and the other knee against Cleveland he would have played every game so far. Then you can make analysis.

All season long the Bills have been a mess at the QB position. Opponents not knowing which Bills QB almost every week leaves them at a huge disadvantage to start the game.

Different QBs nearly every week makes for a schizophrenic football team with schizophrenic games and schizophrenic/useless mid-season analysis.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous argument. Not knowing whether your team is going to face an injured Lewis, or a healthy Tuel is a slight wrinkle in game planning to face the Bills. Obviously, it has NO effect on the opponent's offense or special teams, and very little for their defense. For that matter, the Steelers not knowing whether they are going to face EJ or Lewis this week represents only a slight wrinkle for them. Throughout the season, our game plans have been consistent, regardless of who has been under center. Has anyone seen a big difference in our playbook? Our WRs are the same, our RBs are the same, we will run the same number of passing vs. running plays. Maybe Lewis would run the ball a bit more, but no one should expect either QB to do a lot of rushing. And their QBRs are almost identical. This isn't the difference between Rogers and Wallace in Green Bay, which caused an 8.5 point drop in the point spread for Sunday. The difference in game planning between EJ and Lewis is not huge, and is certainly not causing any schizophrenia in Buffalo.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Thad was a sack machine in the games he started, making the OL look much worse than they are because of inability to read the defense and get quick throws off to hot reads. That and the Jets game where EJ got mauled are the biggest factors in the OL sack totals.

Yeah, the Jets destroyed EJ for 8 or his 13 total sacks. In his other 3 1/2 games he's been sacked 5 times.

Thad, on the other hand made the OL look horrible getting sacked at least 4 times in each game, 5 vs. Cincy.