Tuel's throwing motion, and lack of coaching

rcatty

It was obvious to me that Tuel was not following through on his am motion when throwing. He kept floating the ball, and he was aiming his throws. This was as clear as day from the stands. Umm, flash to Marrone...get off your butt and go talk to your QB instead of standing on the sidelines looking like a stoic Wade Phillips !

It was obvious to me that Tuel was not following through on his am motion when throwing. He kept floating the ball, and he was aiming his throws. This was as clear as day from the stands. Umm, flash to Marrone...get off your butt and go talk to your QB instead of standing on the sidelines looking like a stoic Wade Phillips !

Funny you mention this. I was watching it with my friend that has coached high school football for 20 years & he was sayiing the same thing about his mechanics. Said that was why all his balls were floating & ending up high.

I think this shows why Tuel really is not good. That and his girly arm...

I think you missed part of the point of the original post.

The reason his balls looked so fluttery was because of his mechanics.

It kind of makes sense--I looked at some of Tuel's collegehighlights, and he didn't throw those kinds of floaters. Coming out of college, I think the word on the street was that he had a good (not great) arm. Seems like his mechanics were off yesterday-- probably trying to aim too much.

Marrone's stubborn insistence on going into the season with a rookie OC/QB coach and a crony special teams coordinator has cost the team victories this season. It's the kind of thing that could eventually cost Marrone his job. It depends on whether he'll adjust or not. Stubbornness is a coach-killer.

And yes, it's clear that Tuel's mechanics are off.

If he doesnt' have it by now he never will. NFL coaches tweak things in QB's not completely rebuild their throwing motions. The guy has been throwing since freaking Pee Wee, you think some NFL clown is all of a sudden going to just fix this guy? He sucks, deal with it.

If he doesnt' have it by now he never will. NFL coaches tweak things in QB's not completely rebuild their throwing motions. The guy has been throwing since freaking Pee Wee, you think some NFL clown is all of a sudden going to just fix this guy? He sucks, deal with it.

100% wrong per usual.

Is it really a smart idea to be trying to correct your QB's throwing motion from the sidelines during the game?

If I'm not mistaken, Lee tried that with Fitz, with the end result of completely breaking him.

Is it really a smart idea to be trying to correct your QB's throwing motion from the sidelines during the game?

If I'm not mistaken, Lee tried that with Fitz, with the end result of completely breaking him.

You can't do that, you're correct. It's like golf - you're not going to fix your swing while you're out playing 18. It's all about practicing fundamentals.

It kind of makes sense--I looked at some of Tuel's collegehighlights, and he didn't throw those kinds of floaters.

i totally get what you were trying to point out, but this line really did make me chuckle a little. of course his highlight reel didnt show those.

that said, hopefully he tightens the mechanics up a bit. anyone expecting it to be fixed in the game, may be a little unreasonable. odds are they were working with him all day trying to keep things together on a lot of different dimensions from his reads to his mechanics to his general game management.... hes a long term project. he has a passable nfl arm it seems, but he will need to work on getting it to be more consistent.

To me he looked tentative out there, like he wasn't sure of what he was seeing. His delivery was very slow, slower than I recall seeing. He LOOKED like he was trying to be careful. Honestly, except for the 1 disastrous throw, the kid had a pretty good day. He's not the next coming or anything but I've seen teams #4 QBs look a lot worse.

I know he threw the ball and that SJ was open but to ask the kid to make that play in that spot was pretty foolish. The play calling in that whole goalline sequence was marginal at best. Pretty unimaginative.

Wasn't a fan of the 4th down pass call either and again Graham was open. In that spot I'm either kicking the long FG or playing field position knowing my defense was playing well. I see where Hackett was coming from wanting to be aggressive but I felt it was a poorly chosen time for it.