Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

I'm going to preface this by stating that I have no idea what Martin's particular outlook is in terms of mental health. So, it shouldn't be read as a statement about him.

But when I read people's statements here, I'm reminded of something: Mental health has such a stigma attached to it, whereas we should try at all costs to treat it as we would if the person had a broken leg, or a heart condition, or anything else that required medical attention. People want to make issues with mental health seem like something they're not - someone is "crazy," switched on or switched off, not like us. It could be any of us. I don't know much about him, either, but Richie Incognito has been as much (if not more) in need of mental health care as Jonathan Martin, and has had counseling. However, I haven't seen anyone examining it through this lens. We simply reduce him to just the kind of a--hole that people in the world have to "man up" and "deal with."

I was bullied, too, and I stood up for myself several times, but after awhile I just stopped engaging it and found realms of interest that were more interesting to me, where I wasn't ostracized. You know what that also did for me? It killed what had been a life-long enthusiasm for sports until I found other friends in college who had similar backgrounds.

I fully expect someone to call me a "kitty" for thinking of this, and newsflash: I don't give a f--- if that's what you think. Try thinking about the people behind the social interactions both close to you and those in your realm of public interest.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/miami-dolphins-richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-conflict-is-a-complex-nfl-culture-issue-110413

Interesting because it mentions a former Stanford teammate (Trent Edwards? -- maybe not, different eras) and is by our own former Bill Coy Wire.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/miami-dolphins-richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-conflict-is-a-complex-nfl-culture-issue-110413

Interesting because it mentions a former Stanford teammate (Trent Edwards? -- maybe not, different eras) and is by our own former Bill Coy Wire.

"Said another NFL player who graduated from Stanford, “It’s a rite of passage that everyone must go through. Everyone gets joked with, but this is obviously an instance that was taken too far. What happened in this case is completely out of line. It doesn’t have anything to do with [Martin] being smart or going to Stanford. This has everything to do with Richard Incognito.”

Martin probably has mental issues. Verbal abuse or not, checking yourself into a hospital is not a "normal" thing to do.

This is what I was talking about ^^^^^ "He went to a hospital, he definitely has mental issues..."

If you are trying to adhere to a contract, or set up a lawsuit, it might be the wise thing to do. Then again, he might be insane. I don't know, but no one else here does either.

This situation may be WAY WORSE than any of use know, something blown way out of proportion, or something in between. People are trying to translate their own experience into the extreme, abnormal world of the NFL. Taking quotes out of context, jumping to conclusions, and the way the media works now, everything is immediately overblown INTENTIONALLY. They throw stuff at the wall, see what sticks, and run wild with whatever angle will generate hits.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

This is what I was talking about ^^^^^ "He went to a hospital, he definitely has mental issues..."

If you are trying to adhere to a contract, or set up a lawsuit, it might be the wise thing to do. Then again, he might be insane. I don't know, but no one else here does either.

This situation may be WAY WORSE than any of use know, something blown way out of proportion, or something in between. People are trying to translate their own experience into the extreme, abnormal world of the NFL. Taking quotes out of context, jumping to conclusions, and the way the media works now, everything is immediately overblown INTENTIONALLY. They throw stuff at the wall, see what sticks, and run wild with whatever angle will generate hits.

Securing a legal argument for payment of contract money and setting up possible basis for lawsuit to obtain even more. He's probably done in the league and wasn't that great anyway...making sure he sets himself up.

Media blaming is like shooting fish in a barrel. The media don't work like this- they work for US, a public that is generally willing to follow the straightest line to "the truth."

Martin probably has mental issues. Verbal abuse or not, checking yourself into a hospital is not a "normal" thing to do.

Sometimes it's the healthy thing to do. Tending to your health is normal. Not to mention intelligent. I'm surprised that's lost on you.

GO BILLS!!!

Going to a hospital for treatment means you're seeking help if nothing else. Does it mean he has a mental issue? Or does he not have a network of friends and a support system to turn to immediately because he is an introvert? Was he isolated from those he knew and that cared about him? Did he have bad judgement and just chose a hospital because it's where you go to feel better? Did he break down? How many more possibilities are there that we need to consider?

At the very least he needed help dealing with an issue he did not know how to handle and felt of all the choices available - for whatever reason - the hospital was the place to go. Ulterior motive? Seeking attention? Seeking a lawsuit? We do not know. He is 24 years old and by all evidence found in research and whatnot this is about the age that most people begin to feel the onslaught of any mental health issues they may have - bipolar, depression, anxiety, and more begin to become more prevalent in the early 20's of most men. Either way, as I have mentioned before we can speculate all we want but we cannot yet judge.

Sometimes it's the healthy thing to do. Tending to your health is normal. Not to mention intelligent. I'm surprised that's lost on you.

GO BILLS!!!

I am sure many here would argue that taking a torch to a building and grabbing a riffle is healthier for the simple fact that they are acting out their frustration/anger/emotions. Of course, many fail to realize that walking out and going to a hospital or seeking treatment is acting out, as well.

I am sure many here would argue that taking a torch to a building and grabbing a riffle is healthier for the simple fact that they are acting out their frustration/anger/emotions. Of course, many fail to realize that walking out and going to a hospital or seeking treatment is acting out, as well.

With all due respect, jboyst, that it is absurd. There is NOTHING healthy about ACTING OUT your frustrations. Indeed, it's the sign of ill health.

I've never heard of seeking treatment as acting out, either.

post-4366-0-61142000-1383779317_thumb.png

With all due respect, jboyst, that it is absurd. There is NOTHING healthy about ACTING OUT your frustrations. Indeed, it's the sign of ill health.

I've never heard of seeking treatment as acting out, either.

Meh... with my past experiences in mental health, counseling, psychiatry and what not, any action done as a result of other actions that were disturbing is considered acting out. That's a very basic explanation, but it was interesting to learn about how actions are decided and acted upon in response to another action. How types of lying and self denial influences choices we make and my favorite - the opposite of love. Turns out the opposite of love is not hate. It is apathy. Love and hate are both emotions, and both can run very strong. However, apathy is not having an emotion and it cannot be less or more.

Where did I say definitely? Oh right, I didn't. It's speculation. Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

Healthy as in the opposite of sick? He checked in for "treatment." Whether it's a non-story point just thrown out by the media, or the sign of something worse, we don't know. Maybe Incogito bit his leg off. Who knows?

If it wasn't an innocuous or normal visit, I would be surprised if it wasn't a mental health visit. Having emotional trauma or any thing of the sort is considered a mental issue. But, I'm surprised you jumped to your snarky and holier-than-thou response. That's really not like you.

This story only gets more bizzare.

If you are referring to my link, please detail. Right now I am at a loss after reading this. It had been speculated by others and team members said they didn't see anything but Tannehill flat out saying it makes me speechless.

Media blaming is like shooting fish in a barrel. The media don't work like this- they work for US, a public that is generally willing to follow the straightest line to "the truth."

What?

I can't tell where you are going.

I certainly don't believe that all of the news media cares about "the truth", or getting the truth to the people.

I'm claiming that people are reaching conclusions based on reports that may not paint the truest picture, and are often intentionally sensationalized.

Where did I say definitely? Oh right, I didn't. It's speculation. Thanks.

Yep, what's good for the goose....

What?

I certainly don't believe that all of the news media cares about "the truth", or getting the truth to the people.

I'm claiming that people are reaching conclusions based on reports that may not paint the truest picture, and are often intentionally sensationalized.

Yep, what's good for the goose....

I don't get it. Am I supporting the "big bad media" by speculating? People who refuse to listen to the news at all while crusading about free-thinking and the media machine are just as annoying as the people who hang on every word.

If you are referring to my link, please detail. Right now I am at a loss after reading this. It had been speculated by others and team members said they didn't see anything but Tannehill flat out saying it makes me speechless.

I don't even know at this point, this story is the strangest thing I've ever seen. Massive coverup? The voicemail, while obviously in bad taste, seems more and more "off" compared to these reports.

Edited by FireChan

What?

So, teach kids media criticism in school. This is still about us and our willingness to buy the message, not the medium.