Things I learned today

Virgil

Not to compete with BillNYC but,

1. Our lack of planning for depth at QB lost this game. Tuel made some decent throws and wasn't helped out by the drops, but still made a terrible goal line throw. And couldn't seem to hit crossing routes. Dude overthrew Chandler how many times?

2. Fans here have a blind hatred for the offensive coaching. I say coaching because I noticed today that Marrone only wears a headset on offense, so I have to assume some input from him. Either way, and average qb wins the game totay with the play call. I've had issues in the past, but not this game. They called good plays, but there was terrible execution. And for those blaming them for the pick 6 in the end done. Just because they called a crossing route doesn't mean that the guy can't get covered and the qb makes a different throw. Nothing says he had to make a blind throw to a guy that was just standing there the whole time.

3. Injuries/hold outs are killing us. Gilmore and Byrd still aren't themselves yet. Their time Away is having a huge affect on them. Also, spiller is very hit and miss still. All three are affecting us

4. The rules are getting too technical. Goodwin caught that ball and the defender knocked it out after he was down. He absolutely caught it and common sense needs to prevail.

5. Graham can't afford those drops. To that extent, I don't know why he's on the field over Goodwin anymore. PS, you too Easley

6. We lost and didn't give up an offensive touchdown. Most are going to say "typical Bills." I disagree. The only thing typical was the drops. Everything else was just a unique set of circumstances that let us lose.

I genuinely believe that we should have won this game and, if we punch the ball in the end one from the 1, we are all praising the coaching staff and our outlook for the remaining season

The only solace I have is that we all know the Chiefs are in for a rude awakening as they start to play the real schedule. False hope is a B word

1. Our lack of planning for depth at QB lost this game. Tuel made some decent throws and wasn't helped out by the drops, but still made a terrible goal line throw.

Why was he throwing, period? There was no reason for it. I don't care if you kneel down there. Get the field goal and move on.

Because they proved they couldn't run it. If you live in fear of the int, then don't start the guy.

These guys have check downs. If he didn't stare him down and throw it blindly, he would have see the coverage. If he looked around at all after that, he could have hit Stevie or thrown it away.

Are you not going to run it in fear of a fumble? They called a play, he didn't make him make that stupid throw

How many teams have 3 good QB's?

This team wasn't going to go anywhere with EJ (and only if he developed). There weren't any QB's available that would have taken this team to the playoffs. They tried Kolb, who was about the best available.

Kolb went out a whole ago. As did EJ. They could have been better prepared than to put all their eggs in the EJ basket, not learn their lesson, and put all their eggs in the Thad basket?

Again, doesn't make sense

Edited by Derek in Va

They are just too beat up to come out on top against top 10 teams. Gilmore, Spiller, Byrd, EJ, Thad, Kolb ,... beat up at key positions. Still put 470 yards on supposedly such an awesome defense. They are coming along. Lets see how many FAs they lose and we'll know what we have for next year. This season just became preseason for next year.. (which it kind of was from the start anyway). Losing EJ just plain killed it. We'll have to see how they react going forward. Could start mailing it in. Hope not. Spiller looks like he messed up the ankle again.

1. Our lack of planning for depth at QB lost this game. Tuel made some decent throws and wasn't helped out by the drops, but still made a terrible goal line throw. And couldn't seem to hit crossing routes. Dude overthrew Chandler how many times?

2. Fans here have a blind hatred for the offensive coaching. I say coaching because I noticed today that Marrone only wears a headset on offense, so I have to assume some input from him. Either way, and average qb wins the game totay with the play call. I've had issues in the past, but not this game. They called good plays, but there was terrible execution. And for those blaming them for the pick 6 in the end done. Just because they called a crossing route doesn't mean that the guy can't get covered and the qb makes a different throw. Nothing says he had to make a blind throw to a guy that was just standing there the whole time.

3. Injuries/hold outs are killing us. Gilmore and Byrd still aren't themselves yet. Their time Away is having a huge affect on them. Also, spiller is very hit and miss still. All three are affecting us

4. The rules are getting too technical. Goodwin caught that ball and the defender knocked it out after he was down. He absolutely caught it and common sense needs to prevail.

5. Graham can't afford those drops. To that extent, I don't know why he's on the field over Goodwin anymore. PS, you too Easley

6. We lost and didn't give up an offensive touchdown. Most are going to say "typical Bills." I disagree. The only thing typical was the drops. Everything else was just a unique set of circumstances that let us lose.

I genuinely believe that we should have won this game and, if we punch the ball in the end one from the 1, we are all praising the coaching staff and our outlook for the remaining season

The only solace I have is that we all know the Chiefs are in for a rude awakening as they start to play the real schedule. False hope is a B word

yep pretty much.

8 drops. Better planning??? Tuel wasn't great. A third string qb made some bad plays. Can you believe it??? Holy crap. Some people just aren't in touch with reality.

/\/\/\/\ This /\/\/\/\

This board is unreadable 90% of the time. I swear to god Bills fans have no common sense.

We are down to our 4th QB. What level of planning do most teams do for depth at QB?

we need a reliable tight end that is a downfield threat. . chandler on his best day is bottom half. not good enough. some of those drops looked as though he was having a seizure. he's just not good enough. draft one early or pick up a very good free agent TE early next year.

Things I learned today:

The OL and RBs did their part to cover for the 3d string QB, but they have to find better talent than Easley, Graham and Chandler. You simply can't win many games with sub-par talent like that on the field.

Goodwin looks like the deep threat Graham was supposed to be -- just need someone who can throw him the ball.

The defense looked pretty darn good with all hands on deck. I hope they understand what impact Byrd's departure will have next season and have a plan to address it.

This.

Why release Tarvaris Jackson in June, before Training camp and before preseason? Kolb has an injury history and Tuels lucky to even be signed on to an NFL team.

They screwed up and it cost us two games this season and maybe a shot at the playoffs, but this is Typical OBD.

It's just another example of ineptitude at OBD. Reason I don't believe things are "turning the corner" like many Bills fans on here think it is.

So people think Tarvaris Jackson was gonna lead this team to the playoffs?

Basically they drafted EJM, looked for the best vet they could find (Kolb), and carried on. No other Qb available would have been predicted to do any better.

Sure, a different backup might make a game or 2 difference across the season (something like 6-10, or 7-9), but they weren't going to make the playoffs with ANY of these backups, and it was slim chance that EJM could have that kind of rookie season.

If given an non-easy schedule the Chiefs are a .500 or a slightly above average team. IMO, the Bills are just as good as them if not better with Manuel. This should not be shocking if you look at who each team has played and how good the Bills looked against them today and other opponents on their somewhat tough schedule.

As for Tuel, it isn't shocking that he would make THE key mistake which cost them the game. I was expecting something like that, just not one that was that historically bad and dramatic of a mistake. The fact that it was such a big mistake is why we see the Tuel bashing and hand wringing. He was and is who we all should have thought he is, barely a practice level QB. The guy played alright when you considering the circumstances which thrust him into action a couple years too early.

I like the way this young team plays and I see them as having a very promising future. I'm looking forward to seeing Manuel come back and hopefully watch him play so well that 2014 will look very much like the year that the non-playoff streak ends.