Modrak to the 'Phins?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor.../morning/week19

"Buffalo assistant general manager Tom Modrak might quietly be a candidate for the GM most with Nick Saban in Miami."

Also says,

"The Buffalo Bills probably won't get the second-round choice they are seeking for tailback Travis Henry, to whom they have granted permission to speak with other teams about possible trade scenarios, but there is a pretty good market already for him. Henry is a tough insider runner whose resume includes two 1,000-yard seasons, and agent Hadley Engelhard has already talked to several very interested suitors."

I've said all along that I'd settle for a 3rd rounder for Henry. We'll probably get a little more too, a 3rd plus a second day Draft pick as well. I just wish we could trade him earlier then March 2nd, I think once the free agency period strikes, Henry's values drops greatly.

As for Modrak, this is the usual routine we have to go through every year...

"The Buffalo Bills probably won't get the second-round choice they are seeking for tailback Travis Henry, to whom they have granted permission to speak with other teams about possible trade scenarios, but there is a pretty good market already for him. Henry is a tough insider runner whose resume includes two 1,000-yard seasons, and agent Hadley Engelhard has already talked to several very interested suitors."

Sorry but as was mentioned in another post, if Lamar Gordon could net a 3rd rounder last year, and there is a "pretty good market for him," that means a 2nd rounder at least. The Faulk (and Bettis) deals were years ago, and the Bengals were desperate to unload Dillon and the Pats were the only team willing to give up a 2nd rounder so they jumped on it.

If Miami wants Travis, then fine. They can have him and we can start thinking about who we'll take with the second pick in the draft.

Otherwise Miami can go :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: themselves.

The thing that always gets rushed past when people talk about Henry's trade value is that the guy really isn't that good. Yeah, I know he's rushed for 1,000+ yards twice.

He doesn't have breakaway speed, he doesn't have very good hands, he isn't very big, he's not exactly a phi beta kappa about the playbook, and he has questionable judgment (specifically, why did he ever throw that pass in Miami? Just because that was the play called in the huddle and he was going to throw the ball somewhere no matter what?).

He is, on the positive side, a reliable, tough runner who can be productive between the tackles and has a cap-friendly contract (for one more season). He's also OK in the locker room I guess -- notwithstanding the current moves to improve his playing time, he didn't create much of a stir when Willis took over. But I think it will take some extradordinary circumstances for him ever to get near a Pro Bowl again, what with the quality backs already in the league and more coming in the near term. Three of the top four or five prospects in this year's drafts are RB's -- the two from Auburn and the one from Texas. And soon enough Reggie Bush and Adrian Peterson will be in the NFL.

I think a third round pick maybe the best the Bills could get, and I would hope it's in the first half of the round.

Can't see Modrak going to a team with a power happy coach like Saban.

208734[/snapback]

Thats what I was thinking . I thought all offseason long the Dolphins would go for the low profile coach...and then throw multi-millions of dollars at Scott Pioli to be the GM.

As far as Henry goes..I think the longer the Bills wait..the better off they will be. Right now teams look at the FA market and see names like Rudi Johnson, Shaun Alexander , and Edgerrin James..........and they look at the draft and see names like Carnell Williams, Reggie Brown, and Cedric Benson ( among others) ....and don't feel desperate for a RB. However...if you wait until draft day....and the RB's start flying off the board...you will find a team who was waiting to get their RB in the second round.......only to realize that all of the big time backs went early...and they will be more than happy to spend a second round pick on a proven NFL back in his mid-20's...as opposed to taking a chance on someone like Anthony Davis. You also look at the Lamar Gordon situation...if you keep Henry in your back pocket until training camp...somebody somewhere is bound to have a serious RB situation...it happens every year. Whether it's injury....legal.....or retirement....someone always gets desperate for a RB. Thats when Miami had to give up a 3 for Gordon...and thats when the Billscould cash in on Henry.

You also look at the Lamar Gordon situation...if you keep Henry in your back pocket until training camp...somebody somewhere is bound to have a serious RB situation...it happens every year. Whether it's injury....legal.....or retirement....someone always gets desperate for a RB. Thats when Miami had to give up a 3 for Gordon...and thats when the Billscould cash in on Henry.

208780[/snapback]

what good does a 2006 pick do for the 2005 bills?? henry needs to be dealt before or during the draft, not after........i want someone who can help this team now..........

that would absolutely fuggin suck, and it would be yet another notch for the afc east being the best and toughest div in football.

but i don't believe there's much of a personality mesh between modrak and saban.

208775[/snapback]

I would not worry too much about TM leaving The Bills any time soon...I mean, I'll never say never, but I have it on pretty reliable authority that Modrak has no desire to go anywhere outside of Buffalo. From what I understand, Modrak still feels there is unfinished business in Buffalo, and he really feels comfortable in his situation...

BTW...From what I've been told Modrak basically is the GM in Buffalo already, and that he would be given the title immediately if he moved to the City and made it his permanant Residence. But I'm also told Modrak does not need the Title to be content, and that he is very happy with things just the way they are...

Take it for what it's worth...Like I said, I'll never say never...but I doubt it... :doh:

Didn't Modrak turn down the same offer last year from the Phins?

208864[/snapback]

He's backed away from more than one opportunity...I know he is very content in Buffalo...TD pretty much allows him to do as he pleases...It's really a sweet situation for TM right now. I think he realizes he's got it made with The Bills...

Of coarse someone could offer to break the Bank for Modrak...But my guess is that would never be Miami because they are already paying their New HC a ton of cash, and you would have an instant power struggle if they brought in a high priced GM... :doh:

>>>>>The Buffalo Bills probably won't get the second-round choice they are seeking for tailback Travis Henry<<<<<

Wow, that rumor blew up pretty quick, huh?  :doh:  :(

208877[/snapback]

There was no rumor. Mort said that the Cards were interested in Henry, and that the Bills want a #2. Then Len P said that the Bills may not get a number 2. This is just a case of teams negotiating thru the media.

There was no rumor.  Mort said that the Cards were interested in Henry, and that the Bills want a #2.  Then Len P said that the Bills may not get a number 2.  This is just a case of teams negotiating thru the media.

208906[/snapback]

I was alluding to posts on this board that view Henry as such a desired commodity. One post today suggested Henry to Miami for Carey (which is laughable in itself) AND a #4.

Henry's agent will push to make TH seem like this highly sought after back, but when the smoke clears, maybe we can package the 5th round pick we get for him and trade up in one of the lower rounds.

I was alluding to posts on this board that view Henry as such a desired commodity. One post today suggested Henry to Miami for Carey (which is laughable in itself) AND a #4.

Henry's agent will push to make TH seem like this highly sought after back, but when the smoke clears, maybe we can package the 5th round pick we get for him and trade up in one of the lower rounds.

208927[/snapback]

I see you're getting a little greedy and carried away, asking for a fifth round pick. :)

Just kidding. Hopefully someone will be dumb enough to give us a second or third round pick. We got a first rounder for Peerless. Anyway, teams are most likely to get raped when trading for a running back, as the Hershel Walker trade showed. Also the drafting of Ricky Williams, and to a lesser extent the trade that sent Williams to Miami.