Birthday idea

BuffaloBud

The Big Chief was highly recommended in the most recent smoker thread. I think this topic comes up every 6 months... meat, beer, and football - I guess it makes sense. That combined with the Would ya's, Hot For, and the women I find attractive threads this is one manly ass place.

I got an indoor smoker/pressure cooker about 2 years ago and I would highly recommend it. It's not very big, but a full rack of baby back ribs can fit by cutting it in half. You can either smoke while it's cooking or cold smoke with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Smoker--Pressure-Smoker-Cook-Brisket/dp/B005G6TQE4/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1382064920&sr=1-3&keywords=indoor+smokers

Looking at a smoker for doing ribs, chicken and the like. Don't need a big unit. Anyone have one that they can recommend? Electric or propane? Pros / cons?

I'm not going to try to turn you away from a smoker, but I will tell you that I smoke brisket, pork shoulder, chicken, ribs etc. right on my Weber. Charcoal, wood & heat is all you need. Since you live around the corner I'll have to let you know the next time I throw something on the grill. My last brisket came out perfect. Great rub, excellent smoke etc.

Looking at a smoker for doing ribs, chicken and the like. Don't need a big unit. Anyone have one that they can recommend? Electric or propane? Pros / cons?

How about lump charcoal and hardwood?

Are you looking to set and forget while you do other things or will this be your all day event? Are you in it purely for the food or are you looking to sip beers all day while you mop, spray, and tend your fire?

Edited by Jauronimo

I have a Big Green Egg my wife got me a couple of years ago. It works great but get the big one not the medium one. Here's the reason why. When you smoke meat you need indirect heat. The best way to do that is pile the coals at one end. If you do that with the smaller smoker you're left with very little room for your meat. I do two racks of ribs at a time and they take up the whole surface area of the grill. It works ok but you have to keep a real close eye on them to prevent charring, especially of you use sugar in your rub which I do. Also your bbq sauces (if you baste your ribs with it) will also char pretty quickly. I put brown sugar and maple syrup in my bbq sauce and it chars real fast with direct heat.

How about lump charcoal and hardwood?

Are you looking to set and forget while you do other things or will this be your all day event? Are you in it purely for the food or are you looking to sip beers all day while you mop, spray, and tend your fire?

Wouldn't mind if I could a bit of both.