Only two NFL teams have scored 20+ points in each game

There were a handful, out of what 48 games????. Those teams played not to lose, and the QB's were AWFUL. No revisionism here, I have consistently watched the Bills since 1978 (10 years old).

Come on, I can't remember all 48 games, can you? Actually there were 57, but who's counting?

The QBs were terrible I agree and Dick's style was to keep it close and steal it in the end. Not too unlike Coach Marrone's or so it seems. There were some stinkers for sure like the Clowns 6-3 overtime loss, but all in all I think the Bills played hard and I enjoyed watching those games. You may feel different. Cool.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, I can't remember all 48 games, can you? Actually there were 57, but who's counting?

The QBs were terrible I agree and Dick's style was to keep it close and steal it in the end. Not too unlike Coach Marrone's or so it seems. There were some stinkers for sure like the Clowns 6-3 overtime loss, but all in all I think the Bills played hard and I enjoyed watching those games. You may feel different. Cool.

I gotta disagree with this too. Marrone is using a hurry up, no-huddle offense with first a rookie, and then a guy from the practice squad...not very Jauron-ian. This team is nothing like a Dick Jauron team.

It's funny that after losing games, this board (sometimes myself included) generally criticizes the offense, playcalling, etc. and praises the defense, kiko, etc (minus our secondary troubles).

It seems like its our defense is losing the games after all. But when push comes to shove our offense and defense are equally good/bad. We have some definite weaknesses but also appear to have strengths that will continue to grow throughout the season

Edited by iEat_Phins

An interesting question for those who correctly see the linkage between offense, defense and ST would be to analyze the relationship between being amongst the league leaders in always putting up 20+ points and us also being a league leader in INTs. My GUESS is that two of the factors in us putting up points each game are the INTs shortening the field or reversing momentum and also the large number of plays run by our hurry up O.

But when push comes to shove our offense and defense are equally good/bad.

I'm going to have to disagree with this I think. Our offense is doing pretty darn good while our defense is struggling. The offense is ranked 16th in the NFL in yards per game and 17th in points per game. Meanwhile our defense is ranked 27th in the NFL in yards per game given up and 23rd in points given up. Quite a bit lower. Last year we were 26th in points and 23rd in yards. Our defense is only marginally at best better than last year at this point. Hopefully that changes.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but it does tell something in regards to how our offense is stacking up.

I gotta disagree with this too. Marrone is using a hurry up, no-huddle offense with first a rookie, and then a guy from the practice squad...not very Jauron-ian. This team is nothing like a Dick Jauron team.

I just meant that the strategy appears to be to keep it close and win at the end. A lot of the other parts are different but this part appears to be similar from what I've seen so far.

Edited by reddogblitz

An interesting question for those who correctly see the linkage between offense, defense and ST would be to analyze the relationship between being amongst the league leaders in always putting up 20+ points and us also being a league leader in INTs. My GUESS is that two of the factors in us putting up points each game are the INTs shortening the field or reversing momentum and also the large number of plays run by our hurry up O.

Again, don't forget that the hurry-up offense, with it's super fast 3-and-outs is putting a lot of pressure on the defense. The poor punting game hasn't helped either.

I don't think it's fair to just lay it all at the feet of the defense. I expect the defense show more improvement as the season progresses (getting some Db's back, and up to speed).

A healthy secondary might help out the defense but our D-line has got to do a better job of controlling the line of scrimmage. If the defense can get it done, this team has a chance in a wide open AFC, though 4 conference losses and 2 division losses will make it more difficult.

A healthy secondary might help out the defense but our D-line has got to do a better job of controlling the line of scrimmage. If the defense can get it done, this team has a chance in a wide open AFC, though 4 conference losses and 2 division losses will make it more difficult.

I didn't say that was all that was wrong, just that it will help. Even with a better defense, the offense has to get a lot better too.

Basically, I think both units have been subpar, and that the offensive style is hurting the defense. I don't think I'm the first to mention it. The effect of the Hurry-up on the defense was a pretty big topic going into the season. I think the concerns expressed then, are coming into fruition.

The offense gets no pass from me...

For all the adversity we have had this year, at least the games are entertaining and competitive.

I have no problem watching and rooting for these young players and coaches to continue to improve and develop into winners.

Somewhat agree. The Jets game was difficult to watch and extremely boring.

Anyone saying the defense is to blame for our losses is not watching the games or never played the game and doesnt understand situational football. Look at how many times the D has been playing great, then a bad turnover set the other team up in a position to score. Look at situations late in the game where our D was on the field drive after drive to watch our offense hurry up to go 3 and out. Those failures by the offense are absolutely crushing to a defense, both physically and mentally. There have definitely been some big plays given up by the D, but we also have had some serious injury problems in the defensive secondary that have contributed largely to those.

This is the NFL. Teams are going to be able to score on you. I think our D has room to improve, but we need our O to pick them up occasionally as well. So far it has been all one sided. Think about how many times our O has given our D a lead to protect this year. Not many. Held off the patriots the whole second half until the 3 and outs eventually wore them down. Somehow kept us in a miserable offensive performance against the jets. Gave up inexcusable big plays to the browns, but kept us right there for the win until Tuel came in and crapped his pants.

You cant read football games solely by the stat line. Points allowed, yards allowed, etc. Teams rack up stats for all sorts of reasons. I believe the most telling time for a defense is how they hold when they are given a lead to protect. Thats when a D needs to be clutch.

I agree...and I don't mean this as a negtive, but this season is feeling a little like the first year Gailey and Fitz were running the Bills...lot of close games, very competitive...big difference is, though they still have a ways to go, the defense isn't completely hopeless. It seems like parts are working well, just not all at the same time. Came close in the 4th qtr against the Bengals.

yes it does, but this time I think we are moving in the right direction. Promising QB, a bunch of young talented WR, running game still good and the defense will hopefully get better instead of worse!

I have been one of the biggest criticizers of Hackett.

This does make me feel I should reavaluate my position.

I have been one of the biggest criticizers of Hackett.

This does make me feel I should reavaluate my position.

Its a vertical, no-huddle, option offense, that runs half the time.

The best teams both score points and prevent them. Case-in-point:

Of the 5 teams in the NFL with one or zero losses (Den, KC, NO, NE, Sea), 4 of them have top-10 offenses in points/game (Den-1st, NO-7th, KC-8th, Sea-9th). NE is the exception and is scoring only 20.2 ppg (2.5 less than Buffalo).

Of the same teams, 4 of them have top-10 defenses in points/game allowed (KC -1st, Sea - 3rd, NE-4th, NO-6th). The only outlier is Denver, who ranks 24th and wins games because they score over 44 points/game.

Not a god damn thing anyone can do till they can cover a 1st class punt, and you know the play I am referring to.

I would have liked to see the offense get a first down or two from where they got the ball, giving us a little more breathing room. There was a breakdown in coverage, but even if that had been fair caught the ball would have ended up around the 50 yard line. They won the battle of field position in overtime and we paid for it with a loss.

Buffalo's offense has done this while playing some of the best defenses in the NFL when ranked by points allowed per game average. Carolina 2nd allowing 13.6 PPG, New England 4th 16.2 PPG, Bengals 7th 18.5 PPG, Browns 11th 20.8 PPG, Ravens 13th 21.5 PPG, Jets 15th 22.5 PPG.

With a 1st round rookie, rookie UDFA, and 2nd year UDFA PS QBs at the helm.

If our D wasn't so soft we would be 6-0

It's a game of inches...

- Amendola doesn't make 2 circus catches and Buffalo wins in week 1

- Stevie doesn't get interfered with by Kuechly and Buffalo loses in week 2

- Justin Rodgers doesn't get abused twice by 2 different WRs and Buffalo wins in week 3

- Baltimore doesn't turn the ball over 5 times and Buffalo loses in week 4

- EJ doesn't get hurt and Buffalo wins in week 5

6 games, and all 6 could've gone either way...as easily as you seem to think we could be 6-0, we are at least as close to being 0-6.

That's the NFL