Should the Bills Lock in Thad Lewis?

patfitz

Absolutely! If there's one thing Rob Johnson taught me it is that a QB should be offered a big multi-year deal based on his performance in one game.

Ger 'er done, Russ! :doh:

*sigh* You beat me to it.

Yeah, it's amazing that so many people can't even manage to read the first five words in his post.

I read what he said, but I thought it nonsensical. It's like starting a post that asks: If Goodwin keeps catching 40-yard TD bombs each game should we extend him past his rookie contract? Of course we should; just as we should with lewis if he keeps it up, but it's still a major overreaction to just one game.

With that said, I hope Lewis (and Goodwin) light it up against the Dolphins!

I thought he looked better, at times, than EJ. Sure, EJ is developing, and will only keep getting better - but, I don't think Lewis's positives (he's got a good deep ball, he makes quick decisions, and he can run) are going to disappear. What do you need out of a backup? You need a guy who can win you some games. He, I think, can do that. Who knows how Flynn will look, once he's settled in. To me, the bigger question is not at backup QB, but at starter QB. We went all in on a first round QB in the one year, collegiately, that was sandwiched between two seemingly great QB years. How is EJ going to compare, in the next 3-5 years, with the top QB's from last year and next year? That, to me, is a more pressing question than the backup situation. Heck, Lewis looked better, at times, than EJ did.

I'm thinking just under Flacco. Like 6 years 90mil

Yeah, it's amazing that so many people can't even manage to read the first five words in his post.

Maybe the thread is relevant after the first five words occur.

If Mario Williams gets 20 sacks a game the next few games should we extend him?

If Thad continues to perform at or above the level he did for the Bills vs. Bengals do you think the Bills' Front Office should lock him in with a contract extension that would be comparable to that bestowed upon the "average" NFL backup QB, compared to a contarct for a practice squad promotion? I wonder what the current Bills FO actually offered or would have paid Ryan Fitzpartick to stay on as the backup QB? Would Thad Lewis even be in that ballpark? Or even in Matt Flynn's signing range? What say you?

Excellent points. You are an intelligent and erudite poster, and we are fortunate to have you here.