The Truth

Haven't see the 60 Minutes piece nor listened to the NPR piece. But is LA Times arguing that 60 Minutes & NPR are shilling for Republicans on this issue? If the truth is in between, it almost certainly is closer to one side than the other. LA Times didn't even come close to rebutting the points they're arguing against. They fall back on the standard, "It's a program that was designed to help the needy, so how dare does somebody say that it's rife with abuse?"

I saw most of the 60 minutes piece, and to me it seemed to be pointing the blame on any shortcomings of SS disability to shady lawyers.

They did have some astonishing insight that Walmart was busier when people received their checks. I found that pretty groundbreaking. <_<

They didn't get too far into Coburn's upcoming report other than some statistics. Something like 25% of people on disability were phony, and I believe another 25% were very questionable. But I'd suggest reading the report instead of listening to the 60 minutes assessment.

It was overall a pretty worthless segment IMO.

But if you run enough stories talking around the problems of a gov't program, you can avoid actually talking about the real problems with a gov't program.

I saw most of the 60 minutes piece, and to me it seemed to be pointing the blame on any shortcomings of SS disability to shady lawyers.

They did have some astonishing insight that Walmart was busier when people received their checks. I found that pretty groundbreaking. <_<

They didn't get too far into Coburn's upcoming report other than some statistics. Something like 25% of people on disability were phony, and I believe another 25% were very questionable. But I'd suggest reading the report instead of listening to the 60 minutes assessment.

It was overall a pretty worthless segment IMO.

But if you run enough stories talking around the problems of a gov't program, you can avoid actually talking about the real problems with a gov't program.

It's a news story -- it's not designed to fix the problems, it's designed to shine a light on the problems. So from that standpoint it's hardly worthless.

It's a news story -- it's not designed to fix the problems, it's designed to shine a light on the problems. So from that standpoint it's hardly worthless.

But it didn't shine a light on anything other than greedy lawyers. Which isn't the problem, it's just a symptom.

It basically said there were undeserving people on disability, and there were dishonest lawyers out there making it happen.

That's why it was worthless. Who didn't already know that:

1) You could find unethical lawyers

2) People like not working and getting free money

Nothing about disability requirements, what loopholes were being exploited, why the system is set up the way it is, what changes to the system were being proposed, how widespread is this problem, etc...

Newsflash: People are greedy and lazy.

I think it was just narrative to repeat in case anything comes from this upcoming report. It's writing the story before the story actually happens.

Get use to this, the New Normal seems to mean there are fewer and fewer jobs or decent jobs and people will do what they have to to get by. The Great recession saw so many jobs destroyed in state and local government--which basically accounts for the high unemployment rate--and technology and free trade are driving wages down or overseas while the wealthy get wealthier that people need to get money somewhere. Are we going to totally destroy the middle class and leave nothing in its place but poverty?

Get use to this, the New Normal seems to mean there are fewer and fewer jobs or decent jobs and people will do what they have to to get by. The Great recession saw so many jobs destroyed in state and local government--which basically accounts for the high unemployment rate--and technology and free trade are driving wages down or overseas while the wealthy get wealthier that people need to get money somewhere. Are we going to totally destroy the middle class and leave nothing in its place but poverty?

You need to go back to troll school. The idea of being a good troll is to not make it obvious that you are a troll.

I guess government must be bad because it caused the recession and that is where all the unemployment is coming from?