This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

By this time last year, the Bills had already played two embarrassingly non-competitive games (NE & SF) and the word "quit" had been tossed around a few times.

We can all have our opinions about coaches' challenges and whether Tuel should have been the active QB vs. Cleveland. Fine.

Here are the obvious signs that we have upgraded the coaching staff:

1. The defense has not only improved significantly, the overall physicality is up.

2. The rookies all look poised and prepared - EJ, Woods, Alonso, Goodwin, Robey.

3. The tenor has changed. It isn't Williams faux-toughness, Mularkey's cluelessness, Jauron's excuses, or Gailey's nice guy act. Marrone looks and talks like a football coach out of central casting. That is refreshing.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tuel had played extremely confidently in the pre-season. No coach is going to put him in on the PS and promote Lewis. When the real bullets flew, Tuel was not ready. Coach admitted so much about the decision and rightly made the switch. There is no easy way to find this without seeing it first hand.

I also love the idea that Marrone (not the GM) had "plenty of time to find someone else" as if TIME and not availability of talent would have put a better QB on the roster.

Not the mention were were TWO WEEKS into preseason. So even the assertion itself (that we had "plenty of time") is completely false.

By this time last year, the Bills had already played two embarrassingly non-competitive games (NE & SF) and the word "quit" had been tossed around a few times.

We can all have our opinions about coaches' challenges and whether Tuel should have been the active QB vs. Cleveland. Fine.

1. The defense has not only improved significantly, the overall physicality is up.

2. The rookies all look poised and prepared - EJ, Woods, Alonso, Goodwin, Robey.

3. The tenor has changed. It isn't Williams faux-toughness, Mularkey's cluelessness, Jauron's excuses, or Gailey's nice guy act. Marrone looks and talks like a football coach out of central casting. That is refreshing.

You forgot the embarassing loss in week one in New York.

You also glossed over the fluke win in Arizona.

You also didn't mention the defensive abortion that was the Tennessee game in week seven last year.

This is a different team. No questions asked.

These next four games: if we can finish 2-2...oh boy...

@ChrisBrownBills

Exclusive: Doug Marrone's postgame speech after the #Bills win over the #Dolphins http://ow.ly/25L8ZP

@buffalobills

Marrone: "We haven't made the playoffs, it's not an elephant in the room. We talk about it all the time. At some point it's going to break"

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This ^^^^

and The Big Cat's addendum x 1 million.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

I like this guy alot. Can't say as much about his OC and ST coaches but overall we're heading in a better direction and I believe its a new day finally.

While there's threads about how much we'll lose to the Saints by and how much of a shocker it will be if we win....I truly feel we'll play right with them and have a chance. Brees is a great QB alright but his receivers have to get open and I'll take our chances with our guys back there and our front getting some pressure on.

And on our QB how can you not love seeing Lewis stand in there knowing he has to take a shot to make a critical 1st down and delivers a strike while getting his helmet blown off....and when he got up all fired up I was off the couch screaming with him! He's not Brees by any stretch but hey...I like him alot!...and no don't compare him to Fitz...he can make a lot more throws than Fitz and alot less stupid ones too. After a week of WTF are they doing I'm a major fan of the guy after 2 games.

Yup...Marrone is already a good one and going to be a better one....I hope the same for Hackett but right now I'm not high on the run, run, throw short on 3rd and long routine.

Go Bills!

I like this guy alot. Can't say as much about his OC and ST coaches but overall we're heading in a better direction and I believe its a new day finally.

While there's threads about how much we'll lose to the Saints by and how much of a shocker it will be if we win....I truly feel we'll play right with them and have a chance. Brees is a great QB alright but his receivers have to get open and I'll take our chances with our guys back there and our front getting some pressure on.

And on our QB how can you not love seeing Lewis stand in there knowing he has to take a shot to make a critical 1st down and delivers a strike while getting his helmet blown off....and when he got up all fired up I was off the couch screaming with him! He's not Brees by any stretch but hey...I like him alot!...and no don't compare him to Fitz...he can make a lot more throws than Fitz and alot less stupid ones too. After a week of WTF are they doing I'm a major fan of the guy after 2 games.

Yup...Marrone is already a good one and going to be a better one....I hope the same for Hackett but right now I'm not high on the run, run, throw short on 3rd and long routine.

Go Bills!

The big difference between Lewis and Fitz in my opinion is that Lewis plays within himself more. He knows his limitations and doesn't try to wing the ball around the field in a wild attempt to win the game. Although Thad's ability to play more conservative comes from the defense being much better, the few years Fitz was here he never played with a half way decent defense.

The big difference between Lewis and Fitz in my opinion is that Lewis plays within himself more. He knows his limitations and doesn't try to wing the ball around the field in a wild attempt to win the game. Although Thad's ability to play more conservative comes from the defense being much better, the few years Fitz was here he never played with a half way decent defense.

Yeah I guess I'll have to concede on those points...but I do think Lewis is more accurate and Fitz winging it was a function of Gaily

He has made a few mistakes, however when thinking about what he has to work with, (injuries etc.) we are doing alright. I like the next man up mentality that he has incorporated into the team. Previous Bills teams would have packed up and left before the games were even played. I keep my fingers crossed that this will be the week that the Bills go on a six or seven game win streak. Realistically, a winning record would be great to finish out the season.

He is interesting to listen to on the radio show on Fridays. Today when asked about going back to N O said that he and Payton are friends but haven't spoken during the week. This is a business trip and is preparing players that way and expects to win and make the playoffs. This is what he is telling our players. I love the optimism and passion he seems to be putting into the players. They haven't had any credibility in a long time and the mindset is definitely starting to change and it is showing.

Marrone is in the process of changing the culture...is it done? Not even close! Am I satisfied with where the team is now? Again, not even close! But do I believe the team is moving in the right direction MID-SEASON? Yes! Do I ike the adjustments the coaching staff are making during the game and during the season? YES!

The BILLS need to continue to develop their young talent and continually evolve their game plan to reflect their strengths and refine their weaknesses and Marrone seems to be committed to doing that in a way that truly represents a team mentality. I am a believer as of Friday, October 25th....will he and the BILLS finish the season stronger than where they started? That is the $64,000 question....this team needs to get better and stronger in all 3 phases of the game, but I think, and it's just an opinion based upon observations so far, they will do just that. We can re-evaluate this same discussion after a full year of injury adversity, game-planning, staffing changes, and mid-season adjustments have been made....but it should reflect positive changes.

I will greatly interested to see who stays and who goes during the Off-Season, even if the BILLS do make the playoffs, just to see where they believe the team needs to improve - without excuses....