A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Great post(s). Two things to add:

5) I have little doubt that Legursky will be given a chance at LG, possibly even for the Cincy game.

9) Powell sure has been a whipping boy on here, and perhaps it's because Moorman was such a good dude. He has mishit a few balls in semi-clutch situations. But to say he has been a disaster is stretching the truth. I remember the last few years of Moorman's tenure, when he frequently mishit "clutch" balls (and immediately spun and gestured w/ head down in disgust). Which is why he is no longer here/in the league. Powell's leg is 2x as strong. But I agree with your point that Easley has made some incredible tackles that have kept Powell's net average up there.

On the 1st long punt return, he made a hell of a play to save a sure TD, which in the end saved us 4 points. The second one that did go for a TD was a bit of a liner, but nicely placed only a few yards from the sideline. There is no excuse for letting the return man cross the width of the field when he was hemmed in like that. The coverage team did not maintain their spacing/lanes, started getting walled off, and it was off to the races. Powell should bear as much blame for the loss as maybe Fred Jackson, Garrison Sanborn or Randy Ribbeck. Which is to say, none at all.

Thanks.

5) As critical as I am of Colon, Leguski looked much much worse in preseason. I was wrong about Branch, I'd be thrilled if I was wrong about Leguski too, but I think we are in BIG trouble if he ever plays in a real game.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3) Given the amount of injuries and young, isn't the main reason we are in these games coaching? So how can you be mad at Marrone? I get frustrated with the conservative playcalling at times too, but the Bills were driving to take the lead when Manuel got hurt. So things were working. The Bills have be at the 2 minute warning with a chance to win or tie every game this year. IMO, Marrone is doing a good job.

I will credit Mike Pettine all day long. I give Marrone less room. He is the head coach and appears to be learning on the job. And, he imo he is wedded to an offensive system that wears out the defense.

The Bills have employed recent head coaches that had zero chance to be good. I am not placing Marrone in that category but I want to see him improve.

Thanks.

5) As critical as I am of Colon, Leguski looked much much worse in preseason. I was wrong about Branch, I'd be thrilled if I was wrong about Leguski too, but I think we are in BIG trouble if he ever plays in a real game.

I hear you, I am just not sure the Big Legursky was ever totally healthy for us just yet. They signed him, so they must like what he brings/think we could use him.

Did anyone else see that 3-2 teams have over a 50% playoff birth rate where 2-3 was 30%? We still have a 30% chance to make the playoffs this year and I still believe we can. Few things that have to happen 1 ) EJ has to stay healthy and come back fast on this knee. 2) WE NEED GILMORE - with him the Gordon catch doesn't happen last night. 3)Don't blame Marrone just yet, he has had extenuating circumstances over and over that have held up the potential of this team but has to call out Hackett for a mundane playbook on offense. 4) get rid of the read option, worst time consuming play in the backfield begging for lost yards , especially with CJ. With all of the Recievers out last night why did they not USE CJ in the SLOT!!! Go Bills.

5) Colin Brown threw a nice block on a 3rd and 6 run in the 1st quarter. Then, he promptly gave up 2 brutal sacks. What a mess.

What I didn't get was Hackett's insistence that they keep trying to run behind guard just about every first down in the 2nd half? :wallbash: It was so obvious that they were calling the same plays and the Browns weren't fooled at all. Why do they seem so unwilling to run off tackle?

Oh, brother. Should we pull up Russell Wilson's stats first four games in Seattle?

is that a treble hook in your lip?...quick, get the hemostats!

What was the point of cutting T Jack when they did? I did not understand it when they cut him & still don't understand it now. I think he was only making $1.7 mill so it was not crazy money. Just another baffling move in a list of baffling moves over the last 13 years. I am not saying T Jack is anything great but he is certainly more capable then Tuel. Obviously they did not know Kolb was going down but why not at least bring him into camp & then cut him in the preseason? Absolutely short sighted & mind boggling & cost them a game last night. If the Bills had a capable backup they win that game last night. You better go discount those Bengals Tickets even more Brandon, youpiece of sh*t.

I don't think they wanted a super strong presence behind EJ so he wouldn't be looking over his shoulder after every bad play, crippling his confidence. That's my take.

Here are my thoughts, its same old **** different year at OBD. Fans are so desperate that they ignore how ****ty this team really is. EJ sucks. The kid is not going to be a good QB, you can just see it. No fire, no decisiveness that I see in rookie QB's that have been successful the last couple years. Outside of Kiko and Woods and a couple others this team is devoid of talent. The coaching sucks balls. Nothing but the same old **** in Buffalo

I guess we are looking at two different guys or I'm being overly optimistic. Because where you see lack of fire I see poise. EJ always strikes me as calm and collected out on the field. I feel like the team is in good hands with him, but I've been wrong before.

I guess we are looking at two different guys or I'm being overly optimistic. Because where you see lack of fire I see poise. EJ always strikes me as calm and collected out on the field. I feel like the team is in good hands with him, but I've been wrong before.

Agreed...On the sole fact that EJ is a Rookie QB I think he's actually done rather well...He has a ton of work to do in order to get better...No question about it...But so far I'm 100% satisfied that in time, and especially with a good running game, he could be special... B-)

EJ has done excellent, if we could somehow go back in time and show the board what EJ has done since being drafted we'd be lit on fire and called liars. Exceeded draft time expectations and really shown that he is not that much of a project........Thank you once again Bill for your posts I read them every week almost religiously well organized opinions from a poster who knows what to look for......Marrone is driving me bat crazy with the no huddle, I understand this is how the team is but when a win AND team morale is hanging in the balance you do what it takes to win and keep the lead. The decision to not at least run the clock out before the second half was a perfect example. As a coach with NFL experience he should already know when you have a 7 point lead going into the half AND your getting the ball back you slow it down and run that clock out. With a team that is among the youngest and with a new offensive system is it even wise to run a no-huddle right out of the gate? Why not take the future into account and just take a year for everyone to learn plays, develop chemistry and settle in before making them do everything 5x faster. With so many rookies as well those quick 3 and outs kill confidence. The no-huddle should be meant for a team that is already dominant not a team aspiring to be and I just can not stop ranting about it.....

Kiko is really good but good blockers can move him, he still plays lights out but does have weaknesses in especially the run game (still over commits too).

Colin Brown. I admit I was a big supporter but he struggles. I don't see why sometimes, good position decent push and then whamo too high (he doesn't finish his block and rather stands up straighter which would seem to be coach-able but it is now week

4) and pushed out of the way, too lanky to be a guard maybe? Not sure but yeah it's not working.

Kiko is playing at 237 lbs. He might be the smallest, in terms of weight, middle or inside lb in the league. He need to add 10 lbs of efficient weight in the off season. I hope he doesn't get hurt in the meantime.

Brown too lanky to be a guard? That's exactly as I see it. He can't get low enough to drive block. Marrone was an O-line coach yet he entered this season with such a starter. There were experienced guards available yet Whaley made no move to get one. Very disappointing.

EJ has done excellent, if we could somehow go back in time and show the board what EJ has done since being drafted we'd be lit on fire and called liars. Exceeded draft time expectations and really shown that he is not that much of a project........Thank you once again Bill for your posts I read them every week almost religiously well organized opinions from a poster who knows what to look for......Marrone is driving me bat crazy with the no huddle, I understand this is how the team is but when a win AND team morale is hanging in the balance you do what it takes to win and keep the lead. The decision to not at least run the clock out before the second half was a perfect example. As a coach with NFL experience he should already know when you have a 7 point lead going into the half AND your getting the ball back you slow it down and run that clock out. With a team that is among the youngest and with a new offensive system is it even wise to run a no-huddle right out of the gate? Why not take the future into account and just take a year for everyone to learn plays, develop chemistry and settle in before making them do everything 5x faster. With so many rookies as well those quick 3 and outs kill confidence. The no-huddle should be meant for a team that is already dominant not a team aspiring to be and I just can not stop ranting about it.....

Dunno about excellent, as he still does have so much to learn! To properly read NFL defenses, working on his progression reads, setting line protections. Not getting happy feet, learning to set his feet properly during throws, and most important, avoiding hits. EJ is work in progress.

Dunno about excellent, as he still does have so much to learn! To properly read NFL defenses, working on his progression reads, setting line protections. Not getting happy feet, learning to set his feet properly during throws, and most important, avoiding hits. EJ is work in progress.

Agreed. He also has some accuracy issues which need to be corrected.

I apologize for bumping this but couldn't find any other reference to the punt return for the TD by the Browns. When I watched it that night I definitely saw a block in the back...I re-watched it and there are actually two blocks in the back. One at the :24 second mark and another at the :25 second mark. I know, I know...take off the homer goggles, but I have seen our team lose numerous 1st downs and long gains on innocuous infractions these past few weeks ("hands to the face") but when another team commits two flagrant blocks and tackles to the back with a ref right there at the five yard line, you just have to wonder.