JP-era

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did Roth do it then?

207318[/snapback]

Comparing JP to Roth is comparing apples to oranges. You have no idea what kind of NFL football player he is going to be. Could JP be just as good or better to Big Ben. The answer is yes. What JP did in college doesn't mean sh-- right now. He is still essentially a rookie.

The only things we have seen out of JP is handing the ball off, fumbling, throwing a pick, scrambling like a chicken and breaking his leg. What i have seen out of JP doesn't exactly give me goosebumps of excitement.

The only options the Bills have right now is turn the team over to JP or keep Drew and build off last year. Bringing in another vetran QB is a stupid idea.

JP is the future QB i will buy it. If that is the case then make him a pocket passer, teach him to slide, and break his ego.

Isn't it nice that TD might be seeing what we are seeing and that he got a little miffed about just how much jack Drew is making?

I mean....think about it for a minute...I like Drew the person but the fact is that SHANE MATHEWS LOOKED BETTER THEN HE DID WHEN HE GOT ON THE FIELD

And that is way too much money getting spent on a player like that

Welcome to the Losman era

207202[/snapback]

John this is on the nose...but its not just TD seeing it. Its Mularkey, Clements and Wyche. The season has been evaluated in the last two weeks and its been determined that what we saw from Drew this year is probably as good as it gets and that there are three other things in play..

1) Drew is taking up too much cap room for this level of play.

2) Putting JP on the field now won't be a substantial short term drop off, and will have obvious long term benefit.

3) there are plenty of back-ups out there who we can bring in to be #2 (including bringing Matthews back)

This will sound strange -- but if Drew and Dunn refuse to renegotiate -- they may actually pay Drew the bonus and then cut him after June 1--it lowers the dead money from about $4.3 million in '05 to $2.9 Million in each of '05 and '06 this actually would free up a little cap money in '05 because Drew's base (as others have pointed out) would now be even more than the dead money hit..

...We need to restructure Moulds to get $'s for LT, DT (either resign Jennings and/or Williams or their replacements) and to address other holes (TE, K(maybe), LG, OL depth)...

I bet Drew rescinds a large portion of the roster bonus and stays with the team so he can compete for the starter's role. As other's have pointed out--he won't get close to what he is making the next two years with the Bills from anyone else--of course the guy is financially set--so having a legit chance to start may be the motivator--it will be interesting to see how this situation evolves...

Drew is slotted to take up 6 million in cap sace if he's on the roster next year (that includes bonus pro rated and salary)....if he does not play next year drew will cost us 4 million against the cap next year (accellerated unamortized bonus)..

therefore..releasing drew ADDS 2 Million to our cap situation even tho 4 million is added to 'dead cap money'

A trade is the same impact as releasing him...would love to trade drew to a dallas for a 4th rounder or 3rd...

207205[/snapback]

Your math while accurate is a perspective taken by a shopper who sees something on priced at 2 million dollars but buys it on sale at 50% and feels good about it because they saved a million bucks. All well and good and accurate, but if all they have to their name is $2.50 then they are going to be paying off this debt for a long time.

If you are going to look at this from the Bills team perspective right now they will get the inadequate play of Bledsoe for a cap hit of $6.5 million, By cutting him we end up with $4.3 million in dead space. Though we are advantaged in cap allocation by $2.1 million, we now have to buy a QB who at least will be a good grooming agent for JP and if he is not ready or gets hurt again we will need that QB to be our #1.

If you are going to be truly accurate in assessing the cap impacts on the Bills of releasing Bledsoe it will be impossible as we will not know the replacement move until they make it, but you need to add your suggestions and their potyential implications is you want to claim accuracy.

On the vet QBs currently on rosters who meet the thought of being former starters who are also developing youger QBs with whatever degree of capability they have to do it:

Brunell has a cap hit of 2004 cap hit of $8.75 million but Ramsey is the QB of the future behind him.

Warner has a cap hit of $8.6 million with Manning the QB of the future.

Garcia has a cap hit of $6.3 million with uncertainty about the future

Kerry Collins has a cap hit of $5.4 million with uncertainty about the future.

Any somewhat accurate assessment of the cost of releasing Bledsoe should include an assessment of what it is likely to cost the Bills to play football,

From the current FA lists, there are Qs like Brees who almost certainly won;t be available or would not want to come here to eventually lose out to JP and there are more likely candidates for us that are former startes like:

Kordell Stewart

Kelly Holcomg

Charlie Batch

Mike MacMahon

Do be truly accurate you will need to estimate the costs of getting them and add this to your 2005 QB cap hit total.

Frankly, screw bringing in someone else. For Christ's sake, you want to spend all of next year watching Garcia or Kitna try to learn our offense? Figure out how to throw to Moulds? Or Evans? Please...if we're going to change QBs, then just go to JP and get it over with already. But don't make me watch some other serviceable quarterback play just because  a handful of people think Warner, Kitna or Garcia are better than Bledsoe...because they're not.

207198[/snapback]

Oh, Stop Making Sense! Another serviceable qb would make the 2005 season the same as it ever was.

Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth. :rolleyes:

Very good point FFS--the money the Bills invest in a vet QB has to be considered when calculating Drew's cap "savings"..that's true in any position a team cuts for which they have to find a replacement...we need 3 QB's on the roster--is that JP and two vets at $1.5 million or less (Shane Matthews and another QB from your list)...under a scenario like this--even with Drew's cap hit the Bills are probably spending less on the position than probably a third of the league...

Holcomb can be signed for the vet minimum and might be a good fit. Also, FFS, let me add one more "hypothetical factor" to add to your list of cost considerations - perhaps cutting Drew sends the right message to potential free agents (especially o-linemen who don't want their sack numbers affected by a Drew Bledsoe).

Holcomb can be signed for the vet minimum and might be a good fit.  Also, FFS, let me add one more "hypothetical factor" to add to your list of cost considerations - perhaps cutting Drew sends the right message to potential free agents (especially o-linemen who don't want their sack numbers affected by a Drew Bledsoe).

207415[/snapback]

Kelly Holcomb is not a guy I want brought in here to replace Bledsoe. I would rather see J.P start this year.

He would replace Matthews, BF.

207438[/snapback]

OTOH, it would be hard to bring in another vet here without the promise of at least a fair competition for the starting job, which it will be. There are still a lot of Qs whether JP will be ready to start.

I could give a Sh&&t how many threads are posted on the same subject,,I opened it to see Frez's take on the subject...then I posted just to razz him a bit.. :)

I do hate the fact that so many redundent threads, push to the 2nd page important ones like,,,The Lost or 24 hrs threads..or the Which Vacuum is best OT threads.. <_<

207281[/snapback]

I say you can never have enough threads about Drew leaving town. :)

Your math while accurate is a perspective taken by a shopper who sees something on priced at 2 million dollars but buys it on sale at 50% and feels good about it because they saved a million bucks.  All well and good and accurate, but if all they have to their name is $2.50 then they are going to be paying off this debt for a long time.

If you are going to look at this from the Bills team perspective right now they will get the inadequate play of Bledsoe for a cap hit of $6.5 million,  By cutting him we end up with $4.3 million in dead space.  Though we are advantaged in cap allocation by $2.1 million, we now have to buy a QB who at least will be a good grooming agent for JP and if he is not ready or gets hurt again we will need that QB to be our #1.

If you are going to be truly accurate in assessing the cap impacts on the Bills of releasing Bledsoe it will be impossible as we will not know the replacement move until they make it, but you need to add your suggestions and their potyential implications is you want to claim accuracy.

On the vet QBs currently on rosters who meet the thought of being former starters who are also developing youger QBs with whatever degree of capability they have to do it:

Brunell has a cap hit of 2004 cap hit of $8.75 million but Ramsey is the QB of the future behind him.

Warner has a cap hit of $8.6 million with Manning the QB of the future.

Garcia has a cap hit of $6.3 million with uncertainty about the future

Kerry Collins has a cap hit of $5.4 million with uncertainty about the future.

Any somewhat accurate assessment of the cost of releasing Bledsoe should include an assessment of what it is likely to cost the Bills to play football,

From the current FA lists, there are Qs like Brees who almost certainly won;t be available or would not want to come here to eventually lose out to JP and there are more likely candidates for us that are former startes like:

Kordell Stewart

Kelly Holcomg

Charlie Batch

Mike MacMahon

Do be truly accurate you will need to estimate the costs of getting them and add this to your 2005 QB cap hit total.

207406[/snapback]

Just keep Shane Matthews and pick a vet up for the vet minimum....accuracy accounted for