Australia

ajzepp

Even if you're just half serious - I think it's crazy hard to emigrate there.

Not really, they need nurses....

http://www.irishtime...alia-needs-you/

http://www.immi.gov....ners/nurses.htm

Visa Options for Nurses

Nurses are currently in high demand in Australia. There are excellent career opportunities with permanent and temporary work available in Australia. Most visa applications for nurses receive priority processing.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you're just half serious - I think it's crazy hard to emigrate there.

Yeah, I figured that might be an issue....

Chef: I know, right?

Dang, now I'm actually feeling PULLED there :thumbsup:

US immigration is big, but you need to be skilled. Sharks aren't a big deal, we had JP down here for a surf @ Bells in like 2006. We do say G'day and we do watch the Superbowl on a Monday!

When I did my cruise of Australia/NZ back in 2007, I remember the SB starting around 10am on a Monday. The feed they were using was an ESPN International feed, not CBS, so none of the SB commercials were shown. Was it like than in Australia, did you get the commercials also?

When I did my cruise of Australia/NZ back in 2007, I remember the SB starting around 10am on a Monday. The feed they were using was an ESPN International feed, not CBS, so none of the SB commercials were shown. Was it like than in Australia, did you get the commercials also?

No.....no commercials :(

Spent a vacation there a LONG time ago but loved it!!

As a matter of fact I think most of us righty, neo-con, 1%er, !@#$, baby killer, mother!@#$ers from PPP are planning on moving there.

I can't wait till we all get there so we can watch Faux News together.

I've talked to many people who have visited or lived there and have literally never heard someone say they didn't have a great time.

Spent a vacation there a LONG time ago but loved it!!

As a matter of fact I think most of us righty, neo-con, 1%er, !@#$, baby killer, mother!@#$ers from PPP are planning on moving there.

Not this one. I have no interest living in a country that requires a "Genuine Reason" to own permit for a paint ball gun. Yes a paint ball gun.

Not this one. I have no interest living in a country that requires a "Genuine Reason" to own permit for a paint ball gun. Yes a paint ball gun.

I want to defend my country......but that was a friggin ridiculous law.

On a totally different topic, I wouldn't want anyone who makes ridiculously rash generalizations about a country based upon one generally innocuous law emigrating to Australia. :nana:

What are the gun laws on "real" guns?

I can see this thread quickly being moved to PPP but....

You need to get a gun license in Australia to own a gun.

To get a license you need to show you have a legitimate reason for wanting a gun (either for hunting or member of gun/shooters club).

The license helps ensure that everyone who owns a gun knows how to safely store(kept in a locked secure box: by law) and use them.......which the vast majority of the population who don't have guns(and a vast majority of those that do have guns as well) are very happy to have in place as law.

I don't know all of the gun terminology but Automatic and Semi-automatic assault type weapons are totally banned(due to there being no legitimate reason to own one).

I can see this thread quickly being moved to PPP but....

You need to get a gun license in Australia to own a gun.

To get a license you need to show you have a legitimate reason for wanting a gun (either for hunting or member of gun/shooters club).

The license helps ensure that everyone who owns a gun knows how to safely store(kept in a locked secure box: by law) and use them.......which the vast majority of the population who don't have guns(and a vast majority of those that do have guns as well) are very happy to have in place as law.

I don't know all of the gun terminology but Automatic and Semi-automatic assault type weapons are totally banned(due to there being no legitimate reason to own one).

Thanks... I was just wondering. No biggy, I don't see why the thread would move. Again, just curious if the paintball gun thing was a quirk in the law or if it carried over to traditional firearms. Is self-defense considered a valid reason for owning firearms?

Everybody is lauding Australia as a great place to live. I am sure it has its warts too... BUT it does seem to operate a bit differently than the US when it comes to gun laws. Is there a link between this and why it is such a great place to live? Who knows... But it seems to be helping, not hurting. The US doe grant more freedoms and entitled rights (2nd Admend) when it comes to this question.

Thanks... I was just wondering. No biggy, I don't see why the thread would move. Again, just curious if the paintball gun thing was a quirk in the law or if it carried over to traditional firearms. Is self-defense considered a valid reason for owning firearms?

Everybody is lauding Australia as a great place to live. I am sure it has its warts too... BUT it does seem to operate a bit differently than the US when it comes to gun laws. Is there a link between this and why it is such a great place to live? Who knows... But it seems to be helping, not hurting. The US doe grant more freedoms and entitled rights (2nd Admend) when it comes to this question.

No, self-defense is not considered a valid reason for owning firearms. Guns are not common in Australia and are virtually non-existent in cities. Apart from certain localized organized crime related incidents with guns (Bikey gangs etc who only really target each other), I am stretched to think of any home invasion or assault in modern times where a firearm was involved. The only main incident I recall was when a gun owner killed a young boy who broke into his home on a prank. Obviously that got a lot of media attention so it sticks in ones mind.

I don't think our gun laws really would have anything to do with why it is "such a great place to live" as you'll find that of all of the modern western countries in the world, it is pretty much just the US that is rampant with guns and has loose firearm laws. IMO the gun situation in the US is understandable due to your history of "pioneering of a generally lawless frontier". Apart from perhaps certain areas in Africa, I think this was quite a unique situation in history......and has evolved into a relatively unique modern day situation for the US.

Edit:

In regards to your constitution......being written in 1791, it likely was pertaining to a different type of society than that of modern day.

Edited by Dibs

No, self-defense is not considered a valid reason for owning firearms. Guns are not common in Australia and are virtually non-existent in cities. Apart from certain localized organized crime related incidents with guns (Bikey gangs etc who only really target each other), I am stretched to think of any home invasion or assault in modern times where a firearm was involved. The only main incident I recall was when a gun owner killed a young boy who broke into his home on a prank. Obviously that got a lot of media attention so it sticks in ones mind.

I don't think our gun laws really would have anything to do with why it is "such a great place to live" as you'll find that of all of the modern western countries in the world, it is pretty much just the US that is rampant with guns and has loose firearm laws. IMO the gun situation in the US is understandable due to your history of "pioneering of a generally lawless frontier". Apart from perhaps certain areas in Africa I think this was quite a unique situation in history......and has evolved into a relatively unique modern day situation for the US.

Thanks. I tend to agree. It would be nice to reach a level that Australia enjoys. IMO, it is not possible when everybody is hyper defensive. You speak of the US' "pioneering spirit." Australia is quite different in that is was a prison colony. I don't see where arming prisoners would be advantageous to Great Britian. Quite the opposite of Africa where slaves were traded off for arms. The cycle of violence is still very much alive culturally in Africa. The diference is culture and why Australia gets such high marks for livability...

Thanks. I tend to agree. It would be nice to reach a level that Australia enjoys. IMO, it is not possible when everybody is hyper defensive. You speak of the US' "pioneering spirit." Australia is quite different in that is was a prison colony. I don't see where arming prisoners would be advantageous to Great Britian. Quite the opposite of Africa where slaves were traded off for arms. The cycle of violence is still very much alive culturally in Africa. The diference is culture and why Australia gets such high marks for livability...

I wasn't meaning so much the "Pioneer" aspect.....but more the "lawless frontier" aspect. Pioneers going out to settle new lands and start a new life were in need of some sort of means to protect themselves. Australia was different in that A) It was settled much later than the US....and B) Once you get past the lush East coast, it's all bloody desert.....not many people actually wanted to pioneer out into outback Australia lol. .....and we didn't have quite the same indigenous peoples issues that America had.

I thought Africa might have had some similarities due to the concept that like America, European settlers traveled there to forge a new life in a dangerous and generally lawless land.

Edited by Dibs

I was lucky enough to spend 3 1/2 weeks there for work a few years ago. If there was ever a country I would consider moving to, Australia would be it. The people were absolutely fantastic and genuine, the beers were awesome (one guy told me "Fosters???? I wouldn't wash my dog with that slop, that's why we export it"). The city of Sydney is great, and with a short ferry ride you can be at gorgeous beaches. The attitude of the residents is laid back, but still professional, I love the water and the city is nestlet on the coast with majestic cliffs and hidden bays. There was a place that must be the sister park of crystal beach, the amusement park (Luna Park) had the same architecture and design elements of Crystal Beach, it made me feel like I stepped back into 1968.

PS. I am at work and was not able to see the video that was posted, but whenever I hear someone mention Australia, I am jealous, as I would move there in a heartbeat.

I had the exact same reaction when I went there 12 years ago. I loved it. The people are great. If there ever were another country I would consider moving to, Australia would be one of the very few. I cannot say enough about the country.