Country music stars bashing country music....

The Poojer

I like a lot of different kinds of music, some popular and some not.

I find it amusing when self-appointed music afficionados consistently believe that their musical tastes are more refined than everybody else's, and therefore as the enlightened ones, they can judge what groups/songs are somehow "worthy." Get over yourselves.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it yesterday, I'll enjoy it today and I'll continue to enjoy it tomorrow.

Hey! That can be a song! :-)

I like a lot of different kinds of music, some popular and some not.

I find it amusing when self-appointed music afficionados consistently believe that their musical tastes are more refined than everybody else's, and therefore as the enlightened ones, they can judge what groups/songs are somehow "worthy." Get over yourselves.

This---^

this is true with at least one caveat: don't stand for anything politically controversial. even johnny cash had trouble with this part. and the dixie chicks were utterly destroyed. natalie maines just made a classic rock album, as usual, going against the grain. that's something i really don't like about the genre. you better follow the straight and narrow or keep your mouth shut or both. pretty much the opposite of rock where rebellion is often celebrated (or at least was).

But you know what, if Cash hadn't been given a hard time, way back, it likely would have made his "resurecction" in the 1990's either irrelevant, or non-existent. It put in stone, his image as a maverick, and kept him relevant. He always had a certain hipness....people the likes of Dylan and Kris Kristofferson, among others, always held him in high esteem...his mainstream country candle might have flickered a bit in the 70's, but it always burned with rock-n'rollers.

Your Dixie Chicks example is probably a better example of everything we are talking about. I have a personal anecdote...a good friend of mine wrote the song "Traveling Soldier". It set a billboard record (which still stands, I believe) for the fastest song to fall from #1 on the charts (country charts) to completely off the charts...all in one week.

The week it hit #1, Bruce was pretty proud, only to have the **** hit the fans over Maines statements about the president....the band/the song, just disappeared from the pop-country world in a matter of weeks, as if they never happened. As a result, the band has kind of faded. Manies has her solo career going, and the Court Yard Hounds (Emily Robison and Marti Maguire) are carrying on...but they will never sell records like they did as the Dixie Chicks.

Their music isn't really rock, and it isn't really country...just sort of middle of the road...looking for an audience. I suspect, in a few more years, realizing this, and the passing of time fading out the reasons for the back-lash, they will re-form and do pretty well. Its' a pity, because of all the mega-acts that country music has had over the years, beyond all the "chick-power" marketing, they are a very talented bunch of ladies. Their string of albums were pretty strong, not full of the filler that most Nasville country acts toss out, once or twice a year. Emily and Marty are both top-notch musicians, and Maines is a pretty fine singer. Talent always rises...eventually.

Edited by Buftex

But you know what, if Cash hadn't been given a hard time, way back, it likely would have made his "resurecction" in the 1990's either irrelevant, or non-existent. It put in stone, his image as a maverick, and kept him relevant. He always had a certain hipness....people the likes of Dylan and Kris Kristofferson, among others, always held him in high esteem...his mainstream country candle might have flickered a bit in the 70's, but it always burned with rock-n'rollers.

Your Dixie Chicks example is probably a better example of everything we are talking about. I have a personal anecdote...a good friend of mine wrote the song "Traveling Soldier". It set a billboard record (which still stands, I believe) for the fastest song to fall from #1 on the charts (country charts) to completely off the charts...all in one week.

The week it hit #1, Bruce was pretty proud, only to have the **** hit the fans over Maines statements about the president....the band/the song, just disappeared from the pop-country world in a matter of weeks, as if they never happened. As a result, the band has kind of faded. Manies has her solo career going, and the Court Yard Hounds (Emily Robison and Marti Maguire) are carrying on...but they will never sell records like they did as the Dixie Chicks.

Their music isn't really rock, and it isn't really country...just sort of middle of the road...looking for an audience. I suspect, in a few more years, realizing this, and the passing of time fading out the reasons for the back-lash, they will re-form and do pretty well. Its' a pity, because of all the mega-acts that country music has had over the years, beyond all the "chick-power" marketing, they are a very talented bunch of ladies. Their string of albums were pretty strong, not full of the filler that most Nasville country acts toss out, once or twice a year. Emily and Marty are both top-notch musicians, and Maines is a pretty fine singer. Talent always rises...eventually.

i think the dixie chicks were awesome and i think the statement that did them in was right on. and the guys that piled on were the same guys i think petty is talking about. i don't know though about a comeback. they beat the odds initially singing songs about wife abuse and anti war songs like travelling soldier. not the usual country themes. they may be resilient but in interviews after their last album they seemed pretty beat up. i hope they do though.

as far as cash, he was vilified for his anti racism views. it may have worked out in the end but for a while i'll bet he questioned speaking oiut.

i think the dixie chicks were awesome and i think the statement that did them in was right on. and the guys that piled on were the same guys i think petty is talking about. i don't know though about a comeback. they beat the odds initially singing songs about wife abuse and anti war songs like travelling soldier. not the usual country themes. they may be resilient but in interviews after their last album they seemed pretty beat up. i hope they do though.

as far as cash, he was vilified for his anti racism views. it may have worked out in the end but for a while i'll bet he questioned speaking oiut.

Aren't they the Courtyard Hounds now??

Tom Petty can kiss my ass. His music is awful. It is bland empty rock. Of course, the new country music today is worse then his crap. Artists like "Luke Bryan" "Eric Church" "Brian Luke" "Eric Bryan" ... "Florida-Georgia Line" and even the current "Rascal Flatts" suck. They're nothing like Lester Flatts and Earl Scruggs. They are nothing near Travis Tritt or Clint Black. Go back to the 90's. That was the pinnacle of country music. The last glimpse of an incredible genre before it burned itself out and in the process created a fire storm of crap.

Why did this happen? Why did Sherryl Crowe, Kid Rock, Darius Rucker, Bob Dylan, the blonde from Iron Man all create country albums? Because:

1) It's fun and easy to sing

2) It sells. Yep. "Rap" and new country are the only albums that really sell-now-a-days.

I love country music. My girlfriend thinks I am insane. I just made a CD tonight that had Eminem, Deuce, and a few other hard rock songs...with Willie Nelson, Rick Trevino, and Collin Raye on it, too. I can listen to Hank Sr. and go right to Korn then to King Oliver. I can appreciate music and rhythm. I cannot appreciate any new country - save one for song "Country Girl Shake it For Me." The last time I tuned in to contemporary country music was right at the emerging of Dierks Bentley, Blake Shelton and Rascall Flatts. I once wrote a big thread response to a post a while back by BufTex. It looked at the charts of today, 10 years before and 20 years before. Todays artists are people no one has heard of, 10 years ago there was a mixture of people we never heard of again, legendary names and a few that are still around today. Twenty years ago was the likes of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, The Judds, Leann Rimes, Randy Travis, Reba McIntyre, and even Shania Twain. I bet every single reader of this post knows those names and could probably pick them out of a lineup. However, could you pick Keith Urban? Jennifer Nettles? Any member of Little Big Town? Luke Bryan? Zac Brown? Jason Aldean?

I could get Urban because he's been around a while and he's always in the tabloids. I could get Nettles because she's hot. I could get Zac Brown because the dude is just cool looking. The rest - would anyone recognize?

tom petty rocks out with mike campbell. Wtf !

I have zero place in my musical taste for country music and Tom Petty says, in this article, something that I have been saying for years and getting blasted by friends and family for saying....although I have been saying it's 'pop/rock music that couldn't make it in pop/rock'. Not that what Tom Petty says is the end all be all, it's nice to hear someone in the business saying something that I have been saying.....

http://www.billboard...s-image-problem

I agree.

The same sort of thing can be said for modern R&B music IMO. Both Country and R&B music seem to only hold a slim relationship to what made them truly worthy art forms in times past.

If you hate on the Zac Brown Band, you're a terrorist.

OK but seriously, every man in ZBB is a damn skilled musician. One of the best concerts I have ever been to in any genre.

i don't hate him, i saw him years ago, way before wearing a wool cap year round was cool. when i saw him he was more of a DBT, roots type band, not country...if i am remembering correctly

If you hate on the Zac Brown Band, you're a terrorist.

OK but seriously, every man in ZBB is a damn skilled musician. One of the best concerts I have ever been to in any genre.

i don't hate him, i saw him years ago, way before wearing a wool cap year round was cool. when i saw him he was more of a DBT, roots type band, not country...if i am remembering correctly

I heard a quote the other day, "Only two types of people wear sunglasses indoors; blind people and ass holes." - Larry David

There's got to be a similar quote about the year round winter hats.

Edited by Gugny

Nashville doesn't define what country music is, any more than Hollywood defines what great movies are....there are plenty of great country artists out there today, contemporary artists, that you will never see on the Grammys; their songs won't be (over) sung on X-Factor, they won't have tours sponsored by Wrangler...but their music is every bit as relevant...and timely...

Edited by Buftex

Nashville doesn't define what country music is, any more than Hollywood defines what great movies are....there are plenty of great country artists out there today, contemporary artists, that you will never see on the Grammys; their songs won't be (over) sung on X-Factor, they won't have tours sponsored by Wrangler...but their music is every bit as relevant...and timely...

From the standpoint of commercial success it's arguable that they are less relevant.

Unfortunately.