Give Marrone Credit

Gasjuggler

Some folks...you know the ones...have said that the Bills still misused their time outs Sunday by not using them before the two-minute warning.

It's impossible to know how Carolina's plays would have turned out if the Bills had called their time outs earlier, but assuming they turned out the same, the Bills would have lost the game.

The key is they stopped the Panthers on 3rd down after the two-minute warning. If the Bills called their time outs earlier and the Panthers got a first they would have took the knee.

PTR

We went from no sense to common sense in using our timeouts. I also noticed that the coaches don't seem to call timeout that much, nor have they really challenged many calls by the refs.

They have to be a bit frugal with their timeouts. I don't remember any instance earlier in the half where it would have been useful to challenge a play or call a TO. You can say they got lucky, but at the same time, Marrone called the timeouts when he had to. That gave them more than enough time to try and score at the end.

Like mitch said...common sense. So far, Marrone has shown decent game management, which has been lacking for a very long time.

Yes he gets credit but that was a so called no brainer. What else was he going to do....let the game end and keep his TOs?

You're right , of course he had to use them, but I give credit to the head coach and the quarterback for not wasting any time outs earlier in the half. The past Bils teams always seemed to waste time outs. Either they were not getting the plays in on time and were forced to call time outs or the defense was confused and forced to use one. If they had wasted just one time out, they lose.

Edited by first_and_ten

I give him credit for going for 2 and trusting Carpenter on the 55 yarder after the miss.The defensive scheme and the success on offense against a very good front 7. EJ being prepared.

There are some things he must take the blame for as well.

The play calls (two fades in particular) that made us go for a FG instead of getting the TD. Play calls before the 2 min warning at the half (or maybe pace, would be a better complaint). The cover 2 before the half after that and allowing Carolina to march down the field.

Not having to use the timeouts early in the half is partly due to the hurry up offense; they are never in danger of a delay of game penalty where teams often burn timeouts, and Hackett is used to not only calling plays very fast but being ready for all circumstances. That's a big help and credit is richly deserved by the coaching staff, too. EJ has to get some credit as well. There have been at least three helmet receiver malfunctions and he wastes no time at all. The team is very well coached on offense and defense. The penalties are a separate issue that needs to be cleaned up quickly but Marrone, Pettine and Hackett do deserve some credit for keeping all three timeouts.

Using the three at the two minute warning was also not a no brainer. The reason they weren't used earlier was because the Psnthers got big chunks of yardage on first down. If we stuffed them for no gain on first, you call a time out with three to go. But if the likelihood is that they will get the first because its 2-2 or so, you don't waste them. It's a pretty easy call but not a no brainer and we would have used them earlier in all likelihood if the Panthers were faced with a 2nd or 3rd and long. Again, Marrone made the right call.

Also the Bills have not had to call any stupid or pointless time outs because they had the wrong people on the field, mismanaged the play clock, failed to get plays in from the sideline, etc. imagine that somewhere earlier in the game they lost a TO because of one of these reasons... Likely we would have had a very different outcome.

Also the Bills have not had to call any stupid or pointless time outs because they had the wrong people on the field, mismanaged the play clock, failed to get plays in from the sideline, etc. imagine that somewhere earlier in the game they lost a TO because of one of these reasons... Likely we would have had a very different outcome.

It's awesome that we didn't have to even worry about it, but I really question when, in the 3rd quarter of a close game, it's worth burning a time out to change personnel or revise a playcall, especially on offense. I think I'd rather just take the five yards and regroup. 2nd and 4 becoming 2nd and 9 is probably better than losing a time out, right?

It's awesome that we didn't have to even worry about it, but I really question when, in the 3rd quarter of a close game, it's worth burning a time out to change personnel or revise a playcall, especially on offense. I think I'd rather just take the five yards and regroup. 2nd and 4 becoming 2nd and 9 is probably better than losing a time out, right?

Exactly. I like how the no huddle keeps us from getting those delay of game penalties every week that were so common before.