Now This is Sailing!

Chef Jim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong sailing one of those requires skill but if you think sailing that narrow bay in a 300' superyacht is just show and doesn't require anymore skill than were to put the grey poupon you're very much mistaken.

no doubt , as evidenced by the recent death of a superboat legend. to each his own, though. i find the simplicity and rawness of boats like this exciting and attractive. plus, i can afford this kind of boat! and there's some very real danger in these little whipsaw's as well. the fundamental principles are all the same or so i'm told.

i don't know. there beautiful boats and all but i gotta think the better and more efficient way of finding the best sailor would be a 14 foot single or two man hobie cat race. much of the rest seems for show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km4oqIvTzug

Interesting. The rigging on that is different than the 16' Hobie I grew up sailing. I was trying to figure out what was going on under the jib between the hulls but in front of the trampoline. Something dark colored. I'm sure there are better shots of it online. Just caught my attention.

Edited by John Adams

no doubt , as evidenced by the recent death of a superboat legend. to each his own, though. i find the simplicity and rawness of boats like this exciting and attractive. plus, i can afford this kind of boat! and there's some very real danger in these little whipsaw's as well. the fundamental principles are all the same or so i'm told.

The fundamentals are very much the same the big differences those hobie cats can turn on a dime and can be very unstable. And what do you mean you can't afford one of those. One is for sale at $95mil and comes with room for 10 guests and a crew of 20. I love that ratio of 2:1. If I won one of those super crazy lotteries I'd buy a nice big sailboat, hire a crew and sail the world. What a life!!

Yeah baby!! Only $4mil

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Benetti-StaySail-Schooner-2229247/Vanuatu

Interesting. The rigging on that is different than the 16' Hobie I grew up sailing. I was trying to figure out what was going on under the jib between the hulls but in front of the trampoline. Something dark colored. I'm sure there are better shots of it online. Just caught my attention.

no idea. i sail one of these once a year on vacation. already rigged. capsized once again this year. thank goodness for the rescue boat. cost me a bottle of rum but well worth it.

you're talking about the boat with the red jib right? that's a spinaker, right? yeah, that's kind of strange but it looks to be ahead of the one filming.

Edited by birdog1960

I believe today was Dennis Conner's birthday

I miss the monohull racing. I remember staying up late when the AC was in Perth in the late 80's watching it live until 4:00am or something. That's when I first fell in love with sailing. The second time was when we charted a boat in the Virgin Islands.

Fantastic shots of SF the only city that may create a better view from the water looking back than from the land looking to the water.

Speaking of water Lake Michigan today was very green looking and not blue with some grayish zones as normal. I am guessing due to rain yesterday which was steady but not hard. It's just interesting to see how it changes.

It's the spinnaker pole and what looks like the sail bag. You can see it better in this pic if that's what you're talking about.

jb-spin2.jpg

That's it. Interesting. Never saw a Hobie fitted with a spinnaker. Ours only had a jib and mainsail.

I miss sailing. Sailing the Atlantic coast requires more time and expertise than I have. Used to love sailing Erie and Ontario on boats big and small.

Fantastic shots of SF the only city that may create a better view from the water looking back than from the land looking to the water.

Speaking of water Lake Michigan today was very green looking and not blue with some grayish zones as normal. I am guessing due to rain yesterday which was steady but not hard. It's just interesting to see how it changes.

Green/dark is algae/scum... Usually on clamer days. Bright/light blue is usually a sign of sediment. Ever see the bright blue glacial lakes? If you were ever to take a glass full of that water, it would be filled w/sediment in suspension... "Rock flour" glacial till. Lake Michigan's blue is caused from silt/sand being brought to the top by strong winds, a shift in weather patterns. It was very nice Saturday, sunny and previuosly windy... Of course cruddy and rainy all Sunda and no sun to reflect off the sediment

Also this... Pulling water from The Lake:

When it rains or is predicted to rain, we close the sluice gates up on the dam. Chicago Harbor is no different. Believe it or not there is a dam structure downtown w/sluice gates. The sluice gates downtown are on the NW corner of Dusable Harbor. When we (both Chicago Harbor Lock and us) are locking, we are runninig water from The Lake to the river (eventually the Mississippi). They had 39 lockages yesterday (Sunday). I am not sure what their sluice gates were doing but we have been running 8-10 (40 feet max, 10x4, non-emergency usable is only 20 feet w/fish screens) feet of dam when it is not raining and/or not predicted to rain. We are back to 8 feet right now... They are probably the same. This serves to aerate the river. We also have a water surplus "to give" and divert from the Great Lakes this year. Sounds hard to believe... BUT we have been locking less. By Supreme Court order I believe Chicago can divert around 3,600 cubic feet per second from The Lake. If we aren't locking boats, than that is more water "to give." I know, I know... BUT the goal is to find balance... And it cleans/flushes the CAW's... One of the reasons the river is getting cleaner and being taken off the endangered rivers list... We are cleaning/flushing more than we are polluting! This is ESPECIALLY true when rain is predicted... To be prepared for such rain events! Before MAJOR rain events, we will draw the lower (river) pool down. That means closing the sluices and running more dam down @ Lockport.

Oh... When things get really bad rainwise and the CAW's (Chicago Area Waterways can't handle the influx... We can also take those sluice gates and open them up so as to release the water back into The Lake. That is a major no-no... Especially in summer w/the polluting of Lake Michigan beaches... BUT has to happen from time to time in order to prevent catastrophic flooding and damage. We can give all 4 gates @ 10 feet, 40 feet of dam... When it still won't do the trick then we can start opening both ends of the lock chamber @ the same time! We are 110' wide x 1000' long here on the South Side. Chicago Harbor lock 80' wide x 600' long.

All of this plays a major role in Lake Michigan water quality on the shores of Chicago/southern basin of Lake Michigan.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That's it. Interesting. Never saw a Hobie fitted with a spinnaker. Ours only had a jib and mainsail.

I miss sailing. Sailing the Atlantic coast requires more time and expertise than I have. Used to love sailing Erie and Ontario on boats big and small.

Would you define that as a bowsprit? Sailed a number of summers on a 41ft C&C out of Olcott and Youngstown. Good times there in more ways than one.

Actually was in Perth / Freemantle when the AC was there. DConner's boat would come out of the marina with the theme from Top Gun blasting!!! Knew right then he was not going home empty handed.

That is so true. I remember the first time we sailed the bay I turned around to look at the city and thought wow, beautiful. And seeing it's on the the tip of a peninsula and wraps around it, it looked small.

Would you define that as a bowsprit? Sailed a number of summers on a 41ft C&C out of Olcott and Youngstown. Good times there in more ways than one.

Actually was in Perth / Freemantle when the AC was there. DConner's boat would come out of the marina with the theme from Top Gun blasting!!! Knew right then he was not going home empty handed.

they're calling it a spinnaker here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czi3TEipcqE. watch at about 3;30. don't feel so embarrassed now.

It's the spinnaker pole and what looks like the sail bag. You can see it better in this pic if that's what you're talking about.

jb-spin2.jpg

Dude shouldn't be barefoot. It would be too easy to really phuck your foot up on a sailboat.

I believe today was Dennis Conner's birthday

My brother and I used to scour for any news back in the days that Connor and Ted Turner were vying to defend the America's Cup.

I remember Intrepid vs Courageous and all that good stuff happening in Newport.

Old monohull guy here who grew up sailing and racing out of Wilson, New York.