Now This is Sailing!

Chef Jim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advantage. Straight up sailing. This is highly improbable, and the first time since America3 in 1992 that the US has had a successful defense!

This is so cool! It is "our" cup and deserves to be bolted down again! ;-) :-)

Soccer = Kids Play

%7B4AF487BB-0403-4B14-B977-9BD07983DB8D%7D.JPG

Sailing = Men's work.

78736d1360439400-34th-americas-cup-multihulls-ac-72-oracle-2-flies.jpg

I haven't really followed this in some time... Look @ the pictures of the cat... How the hell do they keep it from flying right off/losing control... There must be a whole dimension to piloting these things! ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is so cool! It is "our" cup and deserves to be bolted down again! ;-) :-)

I haven't really followed this in some time... Look @ the pictures of the cat... How the hell do they keep it from flying right off/losing control... There must be a whole dimension to piloting these things! ??

It is amazing and it is a new dimension. The fact that those things sail past 40 knots is incredible. Oh and the tip of the starboard hull is pointing right at our house. :lol:

It is amazing and it is a new dimension. The fact that those things sail past 40 knots is incredible. Oh and the tip of the starboard hull is pointing right at our house. :lol:

Awesome! You can see the hills in the back ground... Just a little iddy bitty baby bump can be seen off that bow. They must be sailing east? How many miles away is that? ;-) Making a reference to my thread about seeing Rochester... ;-) I noticed the last couple days, it has been clear as all pie, that even in this God awful flatland... I can see the Sears tower from 35 miles away! Get a little vertical, like coming off an off ramp, and you can really see it peaking outta the trees! I have no doubt now, that was Rochester seen from Chestnut Ridge!

Awesome! You can see the hills in the back ground... Just a little iddy bitty baby bump can be seen off that bow. They must be sailing east? How many miles away is that? ;-) Making a reference to my thread about seeing Rochester... ;-) I noticed the last couple days, it has been clear as all pie, that even in this God awful flatland... I can see the Sears tower from 35 miles away! Get a little vertical, like coming off an off ramp, and you can really see it peaking outta the trees! I have no doubt now, that was Rochester seen from Chestnut Ridge!

They're actually heading southeast but those hills are off to the east. It's hard to say probably 10 miles or so.

They're actually heading southeast but those hills are off to the east. It's hard to say probably 10 miles or so.

Okay... I just caught it! Wow... That is land under his bows! I thought that was still water under his bows!

That puts it more into perspective... What is your elevation? 800-1000 feet or so? Figure... That is coming from sea level... Oakland/Alameda has to be under 100 feet??

Okay... I just caught it! Wow... That is land under his bows! I thought that was still water under his bows!

That puts it more into perspective... What is your elevation? 800-1000 feet or so? Figure... That is coming from sea level... Oakland/Alameda has to be under 100 feet??

Not sure of our elevation but I think it's lower than that. It gets real steep behind us. Oakland is at 75 feet and Alameda is 0. :lol:

Has to be the most humiliating kick in the nads for New Zealand, a sailing crazed country like Australia. Here, ESPN, gives it a little blurb on the front page! Consider only 1 out of 11 on the American team is actually from the US... A group of ringers... Gotta hurt for the Kiwi's! They'd be like the 1990's Bills losing to Cowboys! Or the Cubs losing to the Marlins... One crazy fan base vs. the Golden Boys!

Anyway... I least I am rooting for the winning side finally for once!

no, i surely get it. just kinda puts a tear in the mainsail, doesn't it?

Not at all. Have you any idea the cost for fielding a team, teh design work, building two boats, and racing for three years to get to the Cup finals? There is a reason that only very, very rich individuals take part in these things...

Has to be the most humiliating kick in the nads for New Zealand, a sailing crazed country like Australia. Here, ESPN, gives it a little blurb on the front page! Consider only 1 out of 11 on the American team is actually from the US... A group of ringers... Gotta hurt for the Kiwi's! They'd be like the 1990's Bills losing to Cowboys! Or the Cubs losing to the Marlins... One crazy fan base vs. the Golden Boys!

Anyway... I least I am rooting for the winning side finally for once!

NZ and the US have a long, LONG history in America's Cup lore actually.

Let's see, there was the whole Dennis Conner "they're cheating" with the glass boat in 1987, after which he beat them 4-1 when they had lost 1 race the entire challenger series (I believe Kiwi Magic was 33-1 or some other ridiculous win% through 3 round robins, losing only to Stars and Stripes by like 1 second).

Then the big boat challenge in 1988 where the US raced them in the catamaran. They could have litterally sailed circles around them and still won. One of the darkest days in AC history, IMO.

In 1992, the Kiwis were smoking Conner's team with NZL-20, until Conner raised yet another cheating claim against thier bowsprit, causing them to have to modify thier boat on the fly. They then got wiped.

And this year, guess who is Team Oracle CEO of sailing operations? None other than the Golden Boy himself, Russell Coutts, the man who finally brought the Cup to NZ in dominating fashion in 1995 at the helm of Black Magic. Talk about kicking them in the stones! About the only thing that would have hurt worse is if Sir Peter Blake rose from the dead to start his own US team...

Edited by TheMadCap

The hills with the homes on them are 1000-1400 feet. That "bump" in the distance is 3800-foot tall Mt. Diablo, about 25 miles away, the second tallest peak in the SF Bay area.

The hills with the homes on them are 1000-1400 feet. That "bump" in the distance is 3800-foot tall Mt. Diablo, about 25 miles away, the second tallest peak in the SF Bay area.

We freaked out when we were along the bay and saw the fire on Mt Diable a couple of weeks ago. It's over that ridge and about 20 miles from our house but from the bay it looked like it was right over that ridge behind our house.

I was driving from the south into the Tri Valley (next to Mt. Diablo for those not here). It looked like a volcano.

The big fire near Yosemite was about 100 miles away. Couldn't see flames. but it was so big it was making its own clouds from the heated air meeting the stratosphere. Saw a big mushroom shaped cloud .

I was driving from the south into the Tri Valley (next to Mt. Diablo for those not here). It looked like a volcano.

The big fire near Yosemite was about 100 miles away. Couldn't see flames. but it was so big it was making its own clouds from the heated air meeting the stratosphere. Saw a big mushroom shaped cloud .

I remember in 2001 a couple of months after 9/11 there was a big fire in the San Bernandino area in SoCal. I was driving to work and all I saw was this huge mushroom cloud and nearly **** my pats. We had ash at our house near the beach 60 miles away in OC and the smoke was so thick I could look at the sun through binoculars and see sun spots.