$200,000 bartender tip!!! Or just a scam?

Buftex

Skip out on tipping?? They got the whole $115 meal for free. Great scam!!

I think Big Cat's got a better one going? :-P LoL...

Would that be credit card policy? Was it their credit card, if so... That is big risk... Why would the CC not lay the hammer down on them. The would have to be some simple policy on this? Why would they reward them? Can't they just charge the 115 and then 25% extra. Like not signing a a paper check, they got the routing & account #... Just hit it.

It is crappy side - the person wanted to skip out of tipping.

Yeah... But they have their name and all... It was paid via a card. Huh?

Would that be credit card policy? Was it their credit card, if so... That is big risk... Why would the CC not lay the hammer down on them. The would have to be some simple policy on this? Why would they reward them? Can't they just charge the 115 and then 25% extra. Like not signing a a paper check, they got the routing & account #... Just hit it.

It depends. If the card was stolen and the transaction was nulified the owner of the card may never notice. When our card has been hacked we knew because my wife checks the cc transacions every day.

Yeah... But they have their name and all... It was paid via a card. Huh?

There is quite the thread on this on Reddit. Apparently cc companies will put a hold on extraordinate tips and not allow payout until they investigate. Add in that her math is absolutely terrible and she can claim fraud very easily. It is hard for me to think she was being kind and tipping him but hey I'm jaded so....

Skip out on tipping?? They got the whole $115 meal for free. Great scam!!

I would think the restaurant has some recourse to collect for the meal. Given the tip is optional and discretionary the bartender is screwed. I hate people who are cheap with tips. I personally always tip well unless there is something egregiously wrong. I am especially careful and generous if it is an establishment that I hit frequently.