Captains, Marrone Meetings

The Wiz

Just got done reading the article and I don't know how often other teams might do this but I think this is something that is really going to help the players and coaches.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Captains-Marrone-to-meet-weekly/1a38c5cc-e39b-443b-8835-c07f7c4cacc9

“That was the first thing he said,” Jackson said. “I want to have this meeting so you can tell me what’s going on in the locker room and what the fellas are feeling like and what they want to do. He’s made it very clear that it’s going to be a two-way street.

“I think the first thing he’s going to ask us in every meeting is what is on everybody’s mind and if there is something we need to do differently. He wants us to bring any issue that we have as players to him and that’s a good opportunity to get it out.”

Now I see why Marrone has been successful every where he has gone...things like this really help foster relationships within the team and really helps player buy ni and holding each other accountable. Makes the players feel as if they have say and its THEIR team not just a team they play on...

Now I see why Marrone has been successful every where he has gone...things like this really help foster relationships within the team and really helps player buy ni and holding each other accountable. Makes the players feel as if they have say and its THEIR team not just a team they play on...

i can definitely see where this is a good thing. feeling like you are working with someone where your input is valued as opposed to a "shut up and do what i tell you" workplace...two very different things.

I guess I'm naive. I was surprised that it is unusual for coaches and captains to discuss how things are going. Why wouldn't this be a common practice for every team?

Like I said, I don't know if this is normal for most teams and we are late to the game but giving the players a say is a change in the coaching scheme for us for sure.

Edited by The Wiz

I would imagine this is not common, but well done on Coach's part. I've been in leadership with top guys in their field for some time, and as you guys have commented you create buy-in, but also accountability from them in terms of responsibilities to the team as a bridge.

The early signs are I like this guy. He has the it factor to do it right. Use these natural peer leaders to be the conduit to keep it together.

I can't think of a better idea!!! Aside from team captains being vocal leaders, what real responsibilities do they have??? Call a coin toss and choose which goal to defend or direction to kick?? This seems to me it puts value in that 'C' on their chest, and proves to the team their opinions, while may not always be heeded, are valued! Well done Doug!