A few questions about the game, in a very particular order

bbb

I would like to know why they didn't take more time off the clock while they were up 1 with under 5 minutes to go in the game. They were still snapping the ball with 20+ seconds left on the play clock. Even if they had gone 3 and out it would have taken another minute or so off the clock. Eat that time away and protect the lead.

That, I heard on the postgame, he got asked about. And, it's supposedly the "way they play." This whole quick snap, lots of plays thing................Seems to me, just like when you punt, it should be modified as the game dictates.

There's no analytics in foxholes

That's hilarious!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know why they didn't take more time off the clock while they were up 1 with under 5 minutes to go in the game. They were still snapping the ball with 20+ seconds left on the play clock. Even if they had gone 3 and out it would have taken another minute or so off the clock. Eat that time away and protect the lead.

I can see it, score and the game takes 2 scores to win. The play calls were at best suspect though; I hope we see better in similar situations in the future.

There's a lot of predictable gnashing back and forth about the periphery of the problems - Stevie's drop, the punt on 4th and 1, Spiller's bad day - but the single biggest contributor to the loss was the offense's inability to sustain and sort of drive in the 4th quarter. I have no problem with a hurry up offense, but when you're up by less than a score mid way through the 4th, you run time off the clock. Period. Wanna continue a no huddle? Fine.. but slow it down and take all the time off you can. The offense just wasn't getting it done and gave Brady entirely too many opportunities.

For that, and the highly predictable play calling, I put the single biggest reason for this loss on the inexperience of the coaching staff. Up by 1point, just over 5 mins in the game... you have to slow down, run time off the clock, and pull something out of the paybook that's gonna get you a first down.

There actually was a lot to be hopeful about after this game. But, hope and dreams are so running thin.

Not sure I agree. Go conservative against Brady when you're more than 7 points clear - I think Marrone was right to try and increase the lead (would he have worked the clock then? We'll have to wait for another day to find out). What really hurt us was 10 penalties for 75 yards. Maybe that was just what you expect from a young, inexperienced team but you're not going to win many games that way.

There's a lot of predictable gnashing back and forth about the periphery of the problems - Stevie's drop, the punt on 4th and 1, Spiller's bad day - but the single biggest contributor to the loss was the offense's inability to sustain and sort of drive in the 4th quarter. I have no problem with a hurry up offense, but when you're up by less than a score mid way through the 4th, you run time off the clock. Period. Wanna continue a no huddle? Fine.. but slow it down and take all the time off you can. The offense just wasn't getting it done and gave Brady entirely too many opportunities.

For that, and the highly predictable play calling, I put the single biggest reason for this loss on the inexperience of the coaching staff. Up by 1point, just over 5 mins in the game... you have to slow down, run time off the clock, and pull something out of the paybook that's gonna get you a first down.

There actually was a lot to be hopeful about after this game. But, hope and dreams are so running thin.

Agree with everything you said, including the last paragraph.

No guts on that 4th and 1. That was a pivotal point in the game too-- we had just taken back all the momentum with a great defensive stand, if I recall. Plus, when you're playing the Patriots with a young team, you have to take those chances. To me, not going for it on the 4th and 1, showed very poor Jauronian coaching instincts.

The Patriots had just scored a FG to make it 21-20. We drove to midfield, our 49 and punted on 4th and 1. How did we take back momentum by giving up a FG?

I'll never trade the game and pre/post game tailgating for the TV experience, but you do end up having a few questions, such as:

1.) Why did Marrone challenge the fumble early in the game when we didn't even recover the ball?

2.) Why did he punt on 4th and one in Patriots territory? I thought that old school thinking and he was part of this new analytics era?

Thought I had more but I guess that's it.

Ummm....what 4th and 1 "in Patriots territory" are you talking about? We had a 4th and 3 on our 40 and a 4th and 1 on our 49 in the second half. I could see if it was the Patriot 38 or the 40 but on our own 49? I see no problem with punting then.

Edited by Mickey

The Patriots had just scored a FG to make it 21-20. We drove to midfield, our 49 and punted on 4th and 1. How did we take back momentum by giving up a FG?

Ummm....what 4th and 1 "in Patriots territory" are you talking about? We had a 4th and 3 on our 40 and a 4th and 1 on our 49 in the second half. I could see if it was the Patriot 38 or the 40 but on our own 49? I see no problem with punting then.

Are you sure we were on our 49? I thought we were into their territory - maybe it was the first half. Unless I'm totally losing my mind, I swore the ball was in their territory and we punted on 4th down. Like somebody said we had it third and one, and Spiller got stuffed the play before. I was thinking at the time that we had two downs to pick this up.

No guts on that 4th and 1. That was a pivotal point in the game too-- we had just taken back all the momentum with a great defensive stand, if I recall. Plus, when you're playing the Patriots with a young team, you have to take those chances. To me, not going for it on the 4th and 1, showed very poor Jauronian coaching instincts.

I'm sure Marrones gut was telling him to go, but his brain won out. It was the right call in my opinion. His D was playing much better than the O all game. Spiller I believe had just been stuffed the play before. The last thing Marrone wanted in that situation was to hand Brady the ball in the Buffalo end of the field. Punt it deep and let the D go to work I'm sure was his plan.

It didn't work out, but I contend it was the right call.

I'm sure Marrones gut was telling him to go, but his brain won out. It was the right call in my opinion. His D was playing much better than the O all game. Spiller I believe had just been stuffed the play before. The last thing Marrone wanted in that situation was to hand Brady the ball in the Buffalo end of the field. Punt it deep and let the D go to work I'm sure was his plan.

It didn't work out, but I contend it was the right call.

That is a very good case for the punting play...

I have a bigger problem though. Why the heck did we have no offensive creativity? 3rd and one in pats territory, we have to get one damned yard on two plays. Instead, we give it to Spiller up the middle AGAIN, and he gets stuffed AGAIN. Next, we punt.

For crying out loud try a play action QB scramble to the outside, try a screen to Spiller, try something different...heck a QB sneak probably would have worked. But everyone and their mother saw Spiller up the middle coming, so of course they just stack the box.

That is a very good case for the punting play...

I have a bigger problem though. Why the heck did we have no offensive creativity? 3rd and one in pats territory, we have to get one damned yard on two plays. Instead, we give it to Spiller up the middle AGAIN, and he gets stuffed AGAIN. Next, we punt.

For crying out loud try a play action QB scramble to the outside, try a screen to Spiller, try something different...heck a QB sneak probably would have worked. But everyone and their mother saw Spiller up the middle coming, so of course they just stack the box.

So, we WERE in Patriots territory? Why am I being told that we weren't??

So, we WERE in Patriots territory? Why am I being told that we weren't??

Hmmm I might be wrong...I had a terrible seat at a crowded sports bar and was watching the game on mute from across the room haha. But if I remember correctly we were like between the pats 40 and 45

Hmmm I might be wrong...I had a terrible seat at a crowded sports bar and was watching the game on mute from across the room haha. But if I remember correctly we were like between the pats 40 and 45

I was at the game, and I thought it was right where you said, too.

I still have it recorded, CodeMonkey, but won't be able to look at it until tonight.

I remember wondering why the Bills ran Spiller up the middle on 3rd & 1, instead of having Manuel keep the ball and running for a first down. Which then brought up 4th & 1 and the ensuing punt.

Thought the same thing, perfect opportunity, they set it up all day. Must be worried about his knee.

1.) Why did Marrone challenge the fumble early in the game when we didn't even recover the ball?

As was reported by the referee, Marrone did not challenge whether or not we had posession of the football, he challenged that the runner was down by contact, which was the ruling on the field. In all of the replays I saw, the runner was no where near the ground when he fumbled. If the the challenge had been ruled in our favor the result would have been a 3rd down and 5-6 rather than a 3rd down and 2-3.

Edited by Rinlo

I'll never trade the game and pre/post game tailgating for the TV experience, but you do end up having a few questions, such as:

2.) Why did he punt on 4th and one in Patriots territory? I thought that old school thinking and he was part of this new analytics era?

Thought I had more but I guess that's it.

I could be wrong but watching that play live I thought a Bills player took it from Pats O lineman. Replay did not go far enough to show that.

I found it. 2nd quarter. Down 10-0. Everything sputtering at the time. We gained 24 yards of field possession by punting or one Brady pass up the middle to a sprawled out white guy:

Buffalo Bills at 13:52 NWE BUF DRIVE TOTALS: NE 10, BUF 0, 5 plays, 29 yards, 2:02 elapsed 1st and 10 at BUF 28 (No Huddle, Shotgun) F.Jackson left guard to BUF 35 for 7 yards (J.Mayo). 2nd and 3 at BUF 35 (No Huddle, Shotgun) F.Jackson up the middle to BUF 48 for 13 yards (J.Mayo, D.McCourty). 1st and 10 at BUF 48 (No Huddle, Shotgun) F.Jackson up the middle to 50 for 2 yards (T.Kelly). 2nd and 8 at 50 (No Huddle, Shotgun) E.Manuel pass short right to C.Spiller pushed ob at NE 43 for 7 yards (A.Talib). Screen pass, caught at BUF 48. 3rd and 1 at NE 43 (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Spiller up the middle to NE 44 for -1 yards (J.Vellano, T.Kelly). 4th and 2 at NE 44 S.Powell punts 44 yards to end zone, Center-G.Sanborn, Touchback. Kick into front left corner of end zone.

I could be wrong but watching that play live I thought a Bills player took it from Pats O lineman. Replay did not go far enough to show that.

The Patriots clearly had the ball. I was calling for Marrone to be fired! In the first 5 minutes of his career! LOL

I remember it being the Bills 49 but I could be wrong as well.

Anyone still have it recorded? I deleted it last night.

I recorded it was watching last night then all of a sudden the dvr switched to record women's tennis on CBS. Damn direct tv.Was the weirdest thing but I wasn't too upset to lose that recording haha