I'm afraid Chan was right about Spiller

FireChan

Last year's blocking scheme was better for Spilller than the blocking scheme used in this game. That scheme created holes and slant lanes that Spiller utilized to get his runs up the middle. The offense line is not as good as last year and neither are the WRs at blocking so this all going to affect Spiller's game. The QB is also not up to calling changing in line like last year. Coaching staff threw out the baby with the bath water and look at what worked last year and incorporate those elements into the game so Spiller can become dynamic again in middle of the field.

Edited by BillsWatch

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is idiotic. Fred Jackson's wound up on IR the last two seasons and Spiller's the one who's brittle?

The Bills played the entire game out of shotgun, and 80% of the run plays were stretch across Manuel's body.

Thats not how you run effectively in the NFL. The run scheme was atrocious and I hope they figure out how to run an NFL offense soon.

Last year's blocking scheme was better for Spilller than the blocking scheme used in this game. That scheme created holes and slant lanes that Spiller utilized to get his runs up the middle. The offense line is not as good as last year and neither are the WRs at blocking so this all going to affect Spiller's game. The QB is also not up to calling changing in line like last year. Coaching staff threw out the baby with the bath water and look at what worked last year and incorporate those elements into the game so Spiller can become dynamic again in middle of the field.

You're absolutely right.

Edited by Endless Ike

Poor exCuse of an offense. . It was the same set in the backfield the entire game. . Same run plays either left or right. . No counters no miss direction no fullback no going under center. ... no getting spiller out in the open. . Just bad beat offensive scheme and play calling. .

A lot of inside handoffs from the shotgun. Not sure what this play was designed to do but it clearly wasn't working. It is only the first game but it does make you wonder if Hackett knows how to use Spiller.

When a guy averages 6 yards per carry, you would think the next OC would copy some of the most successful plays from the year before. Didn't see any of that.

I'm not making excuses for Spiller, because he obviously did not have a good game. And he didn't break tackles or make guys miss that would have broken him into the open field.

I do think, however, that Hackett calling Spillers number over and over for 2 yard gains was directly responsible for EJ having all kinds of time to throw when he dropped back. Sometimes something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet isn't necessarily a failure.

Now, granted, if Spiller was gaining yards on the run plays it would have opened up the defense and helped the pass protectors, too. The point is, when it wasn't working, if he gave it up, I think EJ would have had WAY more pressure on him when he did go back to pass. So the commitment to the run did indeed help that offense, just not the stats.

Personally, I don't see CJ's poor stat line as CJ's failure as much as it's the fault of (1) Hackett, (2) the O Line. CJ didn't have a lot of space to work with.

The o-line was blocking fine. Hackett was simply calling the same inside draw play which I have no explanation for. There was never a lead blocker, toss, outside run. Just really weird to see. Continuous inside runs is not CJs game.

The o-line was blocking fine. Hackett was simply calling the same inside draw play which I have no explanation for. There was never a lead blocker, toss, outside run. Just really weird to see. Continuous inside runs is not CJs game.

It seemed to me that the Pats were stacking the line when Spiller was in, daring him to break through, which he never did. If he would have broken through that first wave he was gone because there was no one back. He never did so they won that bet and dare. I have no problem at all with Hackett going back to it over and over. I would have, however, had EJ keep the ball and run it a few more times to give the defense more to worry about.

Hacketts use of Spiller was baffling at times. I know we were trying to keep things simplified today to minimize mental errors but every one of

CJ's carries was a read option run to the inside and a meager 2-3 yards. CJs skillset is all about getting him into space, where were the runs designed to the outside today?

Playcalling was not diversified enough today and that is why we ended up losing. Stevies drop was a killer as well.

No idea what hackett was thinking. He needs to watch film of last year again. We had a great System for getting CJ in space. (Screens, delays, pitches, sweeps etc).

They will adjust and beat carolina next week.

When? When does Spiller get hurt? Please explain your urban legend that isn't true

Then you should never be allowed ever to evaluate players of any team, game etc. CJ was amazing in college. CJ had an amazing year last year too. You clearly have literally no idea what to look for in a RB

I meant the fumble dear fellow.

Man can't understand all the CJ haters. Yes he had a bad game, and he may not be an all the time primary workhorse back, but his great explosive plays are going to surface again this year. He looked tentative today hitting the holes like he did in his first 2 seasons.

I agree that AP is the best back in the league, but hello AP's first carry today was for a 78 yard TD. Great. After that he had 17 carries for a total of 15 yards. So really add him to the feature backs that really didn't have very good days today.

That doesn't make sense. Throw out the fact that he ran for 78 and a touchdown and he had a crappy day? I get what you are saying but it's not a good example. He scored two touchdowns also. I would take CJ scoring 2 touchdowns and busting a huge run and then stuffed 6 times in a row. Not a problem. Difference is when I see them hand the ball to AP I have an expectation that he is going to run over and through everyone to score.

That doesn't make sense. Throw out the fact that he ran for 78 and a touchdown and he had a crappy day? I get what you are saying but it's not a good example. He scored two touchdowns also. I would take CJ scoring 2 touchdowns and busting a huge run and then stuffed 6 times in a row. Not a problem. Difference is when I see them hand the ball to AP I have an expectation that he is going to run over and through everyone to score.

I was going to say this, but let it go.

"throw out CJ's horrible, easy fumble, and his day wasn't too bad"

Edited by FireChan

holy moly a Spiller hater? wow just wow

your doing it wrong. CJ is gonna have a monster year

I'm not a CJ hater. I just see a big difference between he and AP. I am like the OP here. 200 yards and 3 TD's next week and I am putting this thread back ont he front page eating my crow. Don't get it wrong, I don't hate CJ at all. Wish him the best.

^^^ EXACTLY.! Hackett needs to use some different formations in the backfield...I mean that was a midget football running game .. Line The running back to the left of the QB and run ball right side, line RB on right side of QB and run ball left side.. Basic football 101 at midget level... No Use of fullback, no motion, no counters, no pitches , 1 screen play , No draws , and no QB under center.. It was a Dick Juraun ( SP ) ran offense.. I know it was a rookie QB but you could have helped him out by giving the defense a few different looks, and yes by all means I hope they look at last years offense and incorporate some of the formations / motions / and scheme's... Otherwise look for the running game to stay stagnate and EJ to never get to his potential..

IInteresting take on how the quarterback can help a running back. Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Chan might've been on to something about C.J. He hasn't looked good in his games last year as an "every down" back, and he looked pretty rough today. Maybe he was utilized best backing up Freddy and being the second punch to break the opposing defense.

Did Marrone buy into the hype a little too much? He barely used Fred when the guy was tearing it up. Basically a reverse Chan.

What a misleading title...way to imply you are "afraid" Chan was right about Spiller when you have been trying to push that agenda since before the season started and literally seem to root for Spiller to struggle to be right. You are not "afraid" hes right, you HOPE he was right.

Seems to me he had 16 carries for over 100 yards last week and made a huge play late in game to help us win. This week we AGAIN played a TOP run defense and we uncertainly just ran him in draws continuously into the lions mouth. Fred didnt do anything either except for getting lucky after getting stuffed where everyone fell down and allowed him to fall back then bounce outside.

Go sing a new tune for once. You and Microscropes are literally becoming the two absolute worst posters in this board.

I can't wait to bump this thread next week after CJ bounces back.

Where was FireChan last week when he did bounce back? I will tell you, he was disappointed and sucking his thumb in the corner. He couldn't say anything last week...now this week he wants to pile on him again.

I swear, Bills fan are getting embarrassing

Edited by Alphadawg7

What a misleading title...way to imply you are "afraid" Chan was right about Spiller when you have been trying to push that agenda since before the season started and literally seem to root for Spiller to struggle to be right. You are not "afraid" hes right, you HOPE he was right.

Seems to me he had 16 carries for over 100 yards last week and made a huge play late in game to help us win. This week we AGAIN played a TOP run defense and we uncertainly just ran him in draws continuously into the lions mouth. Fred didnt do anything either except for getting lucky after getting stuffed where everyone fell down and allowed him to fall back then bounce outside.

Go sing a new tune for once. You and Microscropes are literally becoming the two absolute worst posters in this board.

One 46 yard run that ended in a field goal. He sat the rest of the series, what a playmaker.

Where was FireChan last week when he did bounce back? I will tell you, he was disappointed and sucking his thumb in the corner. He couldn't say anything last week...now this week he wants to pile on him again.

I swear, Bills fan are getting embarrassing

Not feeding into all the negativity here, but it is entirely feasible that all the flack Chan took about limiting spillers touches and using him strategically had some merit.

Hackett might want to go look at last years film and see if there is anything to it... And quickly. The ravens aren't likely to be any softer up front if spiller is back from injury by then.

One 46 yard run that ended in a field goal. He sat the rest of the series, what a playmaker.

That FG is why we won the game...so yes, what a playmaker

Not feeding into all the negativity here, but it is entirely feasible that all the flack Chan took about limiting spillers touches and using him strategically had some merit.

Hackett might want to go look at last years film and see if there is anything to it... And quickly. The ravens aren't likely to be any softer up front if spiller is back from injury by then.

When was the last time you saw Spiller get a carry that wasnt a draw up the middle in an obvious play call? He has not been used at all properly and the OL has been atrocious at creating holes inside...atrocious.

A RB needs lanes, period. Whether they are designed or available via cut back, he needs a lane. Spiller missed a few cut backs week 1, but bounced back week 2. This week, there was NO room to run anywhere, not his fault