Epitome of The Darwin Award? Darwin, Australia

You think? Irony in Darwin, AU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10264863/Swimmer-snatched-by-crocodile-in-Australian-river.html

Warnings all over the place. Large crocs being estimated every click or so. Why the heck would anybody be in the water? Huh?

UPDATE: Seems they found the body.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You have to woner if drinking played into it. What sane and sober person would get into the water?

Yep! Exactly. My God, they are claiming that the Mary river has the largest concentration of crocs on the planet. I guess, like everbody else, people get desensitized to their actual surroundings. Then mix in booze... Yikes, what an awful thing to have happen... Getting eaten as a snack.

"Crocodile expert Dr Grahame Webb said swimming in the Mary River came with an almost 100 per cent chance of being taken by a saltwater crocodile."

They've got the mans body back at least for the family and friends.

Years ago they had significantly hunted the croc population down, they're now protected and the numbers are huge.

Signs are friggin everywhere.

I wouldn't swin NT, period. Irukandji jellyfish, Bull shark, crocs...

"Crocodile expert Dr Grahame Webb said swimming in the Mary River came with an almost 100 per cent chance of being taken by a saltwater crocodile."

They've got the mans body back at least for the family and friends.

Years ago they had significantly hunted the croc population down, they're now protected and the numbers are huge.

Signs are friggin everywhere.

I wouldn't swin NT, period. Irukandji jellyfish, Bull shark, crocs...

The guy that got taken was swimming w/a friend back across the river from what the accounts say... He made it alive... I guess he has something to brag about! ;-) Too bad his buddy set the pick and roll. Yikes... Still insanely stupid!

And of course they had to kill every large croc in the area, just for doing what crocs do.

That is not such a bad thing. Everything is a balance. Do not wanna go back to the days of no crocs... Who else would control the population besides human? Can't leave the popluation unchecked, so I guess after an incident like this... It is time to make a few handbags, belts, & boots.

Anyway, it is probably more for closure of the family to recover the body. Wouldn't it be in the stomach of the croc? Or is the guy too big? Had to be a pretty nasty chore.

The guy that got taken was swimming w/a friend back across the river from what the accounts say... He made it alive...

Well, that would make it a 50% chance then, wouldn't it?

And of course they had to kill every large croc in the area, just for doing what crocs do.

In rural Africa, at least, any large croc is almost certain to be a man-eater.

Don't know about northern Australia, though...one doubts there's enough people there to consistently dine on.

Well, that would make it a 50% chance then, wouldn't it?

You think?

See children, this is what book smarts will get you. You know, just (I) using the gentler, kinder, machine gun handle to critique a post. Try it sometime. Sometimes it isn't the size of the wand, it is the magic in it. :-P :-P

How big was the one that bit this ones arm off.

They have a tour called Jumpin Crocs, this is what salty's do & with training, they recognise the boat!

The fishermen in their tinny hate it, makes em feel like their man in a can for a Jumpin croc.

You think?

See children, this is what book smarts will get you. You know, just (I) using the gentler, kinder, machine gun handle to critique a post. Try it sometime. Sometimes it isn't the size of the wand, it is the magic in it. :-P :-P

See, children, this is what comic-book smarts will get you...