Question about the Toronto games...

YoloinOhio

I don't live in the area anymore so don't hear a lot of PR from OBD. Do they do anything to incent non-season ticket holder fans who live in WNY to go to the Toronto games? I hate that those games at the Rogers Centre are sooo quiet and nothing like the Ralph. But it is a pain to go across the bridge for a lot of people, plus the passport issue for those who don't wouldn't otherwise travel to Canada it is an added expense. Just wondering, as I really want this to be akin to a real home game and not a disadvantage on their schedule. The score had a lot to do with it, but Seattle game last year, at least on TV, appeared absolutely brutal.

No they do nothing to draw fans from Buffalo to Toronto.

Toronto sets their ticket prices so high that even with a promotion, you would still be paying more than you would for a game at the Ralph.

Please do not even bother going to a game in Toronto. Especially if you have already been to a game at the Ralph.

Trust me. As someone who has gone to a game in Toronto I know how awful it is.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

IMO we shouldn't even be going to the Toronto games, lest we give them the idea that a fan base is being established there. God forbid the the Toronto Bills becomes a future franchise.

The idea is to establish precedent that Toronto is part of the Bills market. Toronto does not have an NFL-caliber stadium and has no plans to build one.

PTR

The idea is to establish precedent that Toronto is part of the Bills market. Toronto does not have an NFL-caliber stadium and has no plans to build one.

PTR

If it was the only condition standing between them getting a team and not getting one, it would be built, they would just use the Rogers Centre until its done. They won't build one just for one game a season though and without the guarantee of a team coming there. Theres already talk about the Argos wanting a new stadium and getting out of the Rogers Centre, and even some quiet talk about the Jays needing a new place.

I don't live in the area anymore so don't hear a lot of PR from OBD. Do they do anything to incent non-season ticket holder fans who live in WNY to go to the Toronto games? I hate that those games at the Rogers Centre are sooo quiet and nothing like the Ralph. But it is a pain to go across the bridge for a lot of people, plus the passport issue for those who don't wouldn't otherwise travel to Canada it is an added expense. Just wondering, as I really want this to be akin to a real home game and not a disadvantage on their schedule. The score had a lot to do with it, but Seattle game last year, at least on TV, appeared absolutely brutal.

I really wish that Canadians would take this same attuitude towards going to games at the Ralph cause guess what, a nice big chunk of the fanbase at those home games have to go through that same hassel and added expense too.

If it was the only condition standing between them getting a team and not getting one, it would be built, they would just use the Rogers Centre until its done. They won't build one just for one game a season though and without the guarantee of a team coming there. Theres already talk about the Argos wanting a new stadium and getting out of the Rogers Centre, and even some quiet talk about the Jays needing a new place.

I really wish that Canadians would take this same attuitude towards going to games at the Ralph cause guess what, a nice big chunk of the fanbase at those home games have to go through that same hassel and added expense too.

Really? I did not know that there were that many folks from Canada coming to the Ralph. I haven't been to a game there since the Bledsoe years.

I thought they whiffed an opportunity when the Ti-Cats started their new stadium project. Seriously, who builds a new 35,000 seat stadium? Talk about limiting your options. Build a $70,000 seat facility in Hamilton then start worrying about the Bills. But that isn't happening.

Really? I did not know that there were that many folks from Canada coming to the Ralph. I haven't been to a game there since the Bledsoe years.

Take a look at any border bridge on game day, or at least pay attention to traffic reports. 1-2 hour delays.

PTR

Most real Canadian Bills fans hate the Toronto game too. They'd rather come to RWS where you can actually tailgate and have fun. Games at the Rogers Centre are corporate tea parties. But if having that one game there strengthens the Bills place in WNY I'm all for it.

PTR

I thought they whiffed an opportunity when the Ti-Cats started their new stadium project. Seriously, who builds a new 35,000 seat stadium? Talk about limiting your options. Build a $70,000 seat facility in Hamilton then start worrying about the Bills. But that isn't happening.

Take a look at any border bridge on game day, or at least pay attention to traffic reports. 1-2 hour delays.

PTR

Problem with the Hamilton stadium was that it was also supposed to be part of the Pan AM Games coming to Toronto and Southern Ontario and it became a huge mess about where it should/would go and what was to be built. Theres no way the bills would leave Buffalo for Hamilton, Hamilton is almost like the buffalo of Southern Ontraio, only advantage is its a bit closer to Toronto and no border bridge to cross to get there. Toronto is where a team would go, and Torontonians won't have "their" team located anywhere else but in Toronto. If/when getting an NFL team in Toronto gets closer to reality, they will build a stadium for them that may also be used partially by the Argos for the CFL.

As for the bridge, Friday afternoon if you tried to cross to go to the family day pre-season game, you would have been in line for about 1-2 hours to cross over. All you have to do is walk the parking lots prior to a game at the Ralph and you will see more Canadian plates in the lot then from anywhere else outside of NY State.

Most real Canadian Bills fans hate the Toronto game too. They'd rather come to RWS where you can actually tailgate and have fun. Games at the Rogers Centre are corporate tea parties. But if having that one game there strengthens the Bills place in WNY I'm all for it.

PTR

I take offence to that, I consider myself a real Bills fan from Canada and I don't hate the toronto game because I understand the point to it and what they are trying to do with it which is hoping that they can increase the fan base for the team to strength it and keep the team in Buffalo. Sure, I would prefer to see games in Buffalo because its much cheaper and a quicker and easier drive (if you take out the occasional hassle of the bridge). But seeing as how I'm not a big drinker, and rarely drink when i go to games, tailgating isn't a huge part of going to a game for me. I'm in the minority that when I buy a ticket to a sporting event or concert, I'm not there to get drunk or high or whatever, I'm there to see the actual game.

I'm sure if/when the Bills ever move from Buffalo, they could always take the property that RWS sits on now, level it and install a couple of giant drive in movie screens with parking spaces and broadcast any football game on the screens every sunday and just allow people to come out and tailgate/get drunk and many would be satisfied. They would save some money/have extra beer money by saving on paying for game tickets, and they can enjoy the part many have made the focal point of an NFL football game. I'm surprised that the NFL hasn't tried this with other areas that don't have teams yet.......

Problem with the Hamilton stadium was that it was also supposed to be part of the Pan AM Games coming to Toronto and Southern Ontario and it became a huge mess about where it should/would go and what was to be built. Theres no way the bills would leave Buffalo for Hamilton, Hamilton is almost like the buffalo of Southern Ontraio, only advantage is its a bit closer to Toronto and no border bridge to cross to get there. Toronto is where a team would go, and Torontonians won't have "their" team located anywhere else but in Toronto. If/when getting an NFL team in Toronto gets closer to reality, they will build a stadium for them that may also be used partially by the Argos for the CFL.

As for the bridge, Friday afternoon if you tried to cross to go to the family day pre-season game, you would have been in line for about 1-2 hours to cross over. All you have to do is walk the parking lots prior to a game at the Ralph and you will see more Canadian plates in the lot then from anywhere else outside of NY State.

I take offence to that, I consider myself a real Bills fan from Canada and I don't hate the toronto game because I understand the point to it and what they are trying to do with it which is hoping that they can increase the fan base for the team to strength it and keep the team in Buffalo. Sure, I would prefer to see games in Buffalo because its much cheaper and a quicker and easier drive (if you take out the occasional hassle of the bridge). But seeing as how I'm not a big drinker, and rarely drink when i go to games, tailgating isn't a huge part of going to a game for me. I'm in the minority that when I buy a ticket to a sporting event or concert, I'm not there to get drunk or high or whatever, I'm there to see the actual game.

I'm sure if/when the Bills ever move from Buffalo, they could always take the property that RWS sits on now, level it and install a couple of giant drive in movie screens with parking spaces and broadcast any football game on the screens every sunday and just allow people to come out and tailgate/get drunk and many would be satisfied. They would save some money/have extra beer money by saving on paying for game tickets, and they can enjoy the part many have made the focal point of an NFL football game. I'm surprised that the NFL hasn't tried this with other areas that don't have teams yet.......

I find this suggestion funny in that this actually takes place already at Ohio State campus on gameday. The stadium seatss 100k+ but no way can everyone who wants to go to the game get a ticket or wants to pay the price for one. There is easily another 200-300k outside the stadium before, during and after the game but specifically during the game, they have several "party" areas set up sponsored by various companies where there are huge movie screens, they sell food & beer and everyone stands around for these "watch parties." For the November games, they also set this up inside the Schottenstein Center (where the B-ball team plays) and people watch the game in the arena while drinking.

I find this suggestion funny in that this actually takes place already at Ohio State campus on gameday. The stadium seatss 100k+ but no way can everyone who wants to go to the game get a ticket or wants to pay the price for one. There is easily another 200-300k outside the stadium before, during and after the game but specifically during the game, they have several "party" areas set up sponsored by various companies where there are huge movie screens, they sell food & beer and everyone stands around for these "watch parties." For the November games, they also set this up inside the Schottenstein Center (where the B-ball team plays) and people watch the game in the arena while drinking.

I have said this before, I really think this is what is going to end up becoming "Tailgating" at all NFL stadiums soon. They are not going to allow private tailgating anymore and go to NFL/Corporate Sponsored tailgate areas outside the stadiums where you will be able to eat and drink from vendors. With all the incidences of impaired driving and public drunkinness at games, it may come down to this being the best way for the NFL and their teams to protect themselves from lawsuits if they can regulate alcohol consumption on and near their properties at games. I have a feeling that the days of pulling into the parking lot with your BBQ and Cooler will soon by going away with tougher rules in the lots.

The NFL won't allow it. The Bills used to have a charity fund raiser for a couple of years called Jumbogate, where you could pay to go into one of the indoor endzone clubs, get food, and see the game on the jumbotron. Then the NFL cracked down and said no more, not just for the Bills, but any group viewing of any NFL game. There's usually an article or two you can find around Super Bowl time, where some church will want to do a fund raiser and the NFL says no.

The NFL won't allow it. The Bills used to have a charity fund raiser for a couple of years called Jumbogate, where you could pay to go into one of the indoor endzone clubs, get food, and see the game on the jumbotron. Then the NFL cracked down and said no more, not just for the Bills, but any group viewing of any NFL game. There's usually an article or two you can find around Super Bowl time, where some church will want to do a fund raiser and the NFL says no.

Yeah, I can definitely see the difference between college and NFL. It is too bad because the Ralph is one of the very few (I can think of Arrowhead in KC as another) NFL stadiums left that is in a "residential" area where you can pay to park in people's driveways. Such a great atmosphere.