Bears Bostic fined for hit

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last replay (where the camera is in the defensive end zone shooting towards the offense) looks to me like the crown of Bostic's helmet hit Willie's helmet.

This happens at :27 seconds.

I think it's pretty clear.

I thought I was crazy for seeing that given the unanimous support of the opposite

I'd like to see an explanation for this. Listening to an NFL spokesman recently he mentioned only the crown of the helmet (when used as a spear) is a pena;lty. Face mask hits are OK. This play clearly shows o helmet at all.

I'm scared for the Bills this year. I think about it a lot. Especially when playing a very popular AFC East QB who will remain nameless.

I'll lose my mind if Buffalo is used as a safe haven (no big media, unknown coach, small market) by the NFL to emphasize their safe hit agenda.

If you're going to make that hit on said unnamed AFC East QB, you only have one shot. (If that's your game, that is, Andre Waters comes to mind.).

You're going to be fined in any event, whether you sneeze on him, or send him out on the cart.

You'd better knock him into the broadcast booth, because you're going to get a phone call.

the first thing is: I really cant see if its helmet to helmet. next, he didn't stand over the guy. I know everyone wants aggressive play from teddy bears, but he was damn sure proud of his hit. thats it. i have no problem with that, but he didn't stand over him. Now... if in the super slow moooooooo it looked as if his intention was to go high; by all means crucify the guy. if rogers intent is to make an example, well..than...

If you're going to make that hit on said unnamed AFC East QB, you only have one shot. (If that's your game, that is, Andre Waters comes to mind.).

You're going to be fined in any event, whether you sneeze on him, or send him out on the cart.

You'd better knock him into the broadcast booth, because you're going to get a phone call.

like Bart Simpson said " damned if i do, damned if i don't."

It is impossible to lower one's shoulder to deliver a blow without the head being lowered as well. They want the target zone lowered and that's what this was. The shoulder hit to the upper body violently snaps Willie's helmet forward. A helmet to helmet hit would have snapped it backward which was not the case here. Wilie's body sort of contorts into the letter "c." But the NFL has shown a problem understanding basic Newtonian Laws of Motion and human anatomy in other instances.

As for the use of "defenseless," this should never be applied to a player in possession of the ball and running with it, imo.

By the way, this hit reminded me of Sharper's on Lonnie Johnson which I have never heard anyone say was dirty under any set of rules. Just that it was befitting of a certain Warner Bros. cartoon character that always felt like his brilliantly developed plans were succeeding right up until disaster struck.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

These fines/flags drive me crazy. Didn't Byrd have a perfect tackle on OchoCinco during that Pats* game we won that he got a personal foul for?

Yes I remember that one. Jarring big "pops" will be flagged this year regardless of the technique. I think the league wants rugby tackles only.

I watched that hit live. I thought for sure it was helmet to helmet because of the sound. After watching the replay I was happy for football for a moment. I thought Bostic showed you could still absolutely level a kid without having to use your helmet.

Then he gets fined...

Watched the hit on the NFLN. The announcers were gushing about what a great hit it was. I looked at my wife & said "he's going to be hearing from the commish." Get used to it.

I'm calling bull ****. Can your wife corroborate?

I watched that hit live. I thought for sure it was helmet to helmet because of the sound. After watching the replay I was happy for football for a moment. I thought Bostic showed you could still absolutely level a kid without having to use your helmet.

Then he gets fined...

Do you live on the 2nd floor, by chance?

Saw the super slow mo. He droped his head. Fine him.

It is impossible to lower one's shoulder to deliver a blow without the head being lowered as well.

sure you can. Players are tought to put their facemask across the ball. Bostic lead with the crown of the helmet, and launched himself. Good fine.

I'm calling bull ****. Can your wife corroborate?

Do you live on the 2nd floor, by chance?

Nope, 4 bed/2 bath ranch in the 'burbs. Why? Would you like to see my fine china?

a BTW for those upset about the amount.... his appeal can cite financial hardship as a first time offender seeking it to be reduced to no more than 1/4 of a game check (about 5k for bostic). the 21k is simply the cba mandated fine if they decide a hit qualifies for penalty. the player then can appeal both the ruling, and in this case the amount.

Saw the super slow mo. He droped his head. Fine him.

sure you can. Players are tought to put their facemask across the ball. Bostic lead with the crown of the helmet, and launched himself. Good fine.

They only care about launching when the hit is high. This is a bad fine as it was properly targeted. Like Lonnie Johnson, this was a ball carrier looking in a direction other than the one in which he was running.

They only care about launching when the hit is high. This is a bad fine as it was properly targeted. Like Lonnie Johnson, this was a ball carrier looking in a direction other than the one in which he was running.

when I first saw it, it didn't look high. I agree. Than I saw the slow mo. He went high, with the crown. If he didn't lead with the crown, he wouldn't have been flaged. He hit him I'm the chin..... With the CROWN.

when I first saw it, it didn't look high. I agree. Than I saw the slow mo. He went high, with the crown. If he didn't lead with the crown, he wouldn't have been flaged. He hit him I'm the chin..... With the CROWN.

its a close call - honestly no flag and a 5k fine would seem pretty acceptable in my book having reflected on it, seeing the hit a few times and knowing the logical course from here. if he got off completely id likewise be alright with it.

its a bang-bang play and a tough judgement.

its a close call - honestly no flag and a 5k fine would seem pretty acceptable in my book having reflected on it, seeing the hit a few times and knowing the logical course from here. if he got off completely id likewise be alright with it.

its a bang-bang play and a tough judgement.

I don't agree. That is the exact kind of hit that the NFL is trying to get away from. If he kept his head up I would agree. He put his head down, lead with the crown of his helmet.

It looked great at full speed, and I didn't think at the time it should be a flag. I even said that earlier. But when youwatch it again, slow...... Well.....crown

I'm tired of typing crown.

I was referencing, perhaps, the saddest song ever recorded.

Jesus, anything but that. Very few people make that connection, so it didn't even occur to me that's what you were referencing.