Bills Statistical Anomaly

Every year we play 25% of the NFC. Every year we suck. So it's not super crazy. :P

It's been a while but aren't the odds of even playing the NFC representative 7 consecutive years in a row 0.25%^7 or like .00610%? (Of course only applies to random opponent selection which we know is not the case)

Maybe it's more rigged than I thought.

Tricky indeed especially since the bills losing to that team increases the likelihood that that team goes so the Super Bowl due to a win.

Where is a phd statistician when you need one?

It's been a while but aren't the odds of even playing the NFC representative 7 consecutive years in a row 0.25%^7 or like .00610%? (Of course only applies to random opponent selection which we know is not the case)

Maybe it's more rigged than I thought.

Tricky indeed especially since the bills losing to that team increases the likelihood that that team goes so the Super Bowl due to a win.

Where is a phd statistician when you need one?

First, watch the decimal point...

Secondly, 25% technically only works without the wildcard, so my original quote was a little simplistic. (whoops, this is wrong, I kind of forgot that we actually play 4 out of the 16 teams in the Conference... need more coffee)

Like others have said, it's weirder that the AFC East has played the NFC Champion seven years in a row, than the Bills losing to that specific team.

Edited by Dorkington

The odds are staggeringly low...

We have only a 1/16 chance of playing the eventual super bowl team from the NFC any given year, or 6.25%.

To do this 7 year's in a row, our odds would be, if I am calculating this correctly, .000000023% to even play this team, the factoring in a 50% chance of losing to this team, it would be .0000000115%

Pretty astronomical odds either way, lol...

Again this doesn't take into account the likelihood of how good a teams chances are of going to the SuperBowl or even winning a game, just assuming all things are equal...

Or to put in other terms, our chances of us playing these teams is 1 in 67,108,864 and losing to them 1 in 134,217,728

Similar to winning the lottery? Or better odds to win the lottery?

Edited by matter2003

The odds are staggeringly low...

We have only a 1/16 chance of playing the eventual super bowl team from the NFC any given year, or 6.25%.

To do this 7 year's in a row, our odds would be, if I am calculating this correctly, .000000023% to even play this team, the factoring in a 50% chance of losing to this team, it would be .0000000115%

Pretty astronomical odds either way, lol...

Again this doesn't take into account the likelihood of how good a teams chances are of going to the SuperBowl or even winning a game, just assuming all things are equal...

nope - 1/4 odds any given year. we play a full division in the NFC. then as many have said, a bad team losing to a good team is not 50-50.

still crazy odds though.

Edited by NoSaint

nope - 1/4 odds any given year. we play a full division in the NFC. then as many have said, a bad team losing to a good team is not 50-50.

still crazy odds though.

Yeah you are right...we play 4 teams each year...

So it would be 1 in 16,384 to play that team and 1 in 32,768 to lose to each one..

What are the sheer odds of losing to the eventual NFC Superbowl team for the past seven years?!

2006 — Loss @ Chicago, 40-7

2007 — Loss v. NY Giants, 38-21

2008 — Loss @ Arizona, 41-17

2009 — Loss v. New Orleans, 27-7

2010 — Loss @ Green Bay, 34-7

2011 — Loss @ NY Giants, 27-24

2012 — Loss @ San Fran 45-3

That's a cool stat. Chances are very small actually. Even if you take out the loss, the chance of playing the NFC Super Bowl rep each of the last 7 years is less than 1% I believe.

My stats 101 memory is bad, but think you multiply 0.25 by 0.25, 7 times and then multiply that by 100 and that's your percentage chance. Perhaps?

It's similar to putting 4 numbers in a hat and pulling out the same number 7 times in a row.

Edited by dubs